Website Update

Sign in to follow this  

Hello... This is Mike Southworth, the web developer responsible for coding the web site (and owner of LD Computech listed in the sidebar). I wanted to thank everyone for the positive comments to Ross's initial launch post concerning the site, and provide some additional details about the site. It is my intention to provide any site related news updates myself, independent of Ross's video updates, in order to allow him to focus on creating video episodes rather than answering web site related questions. Please add any of your site related comments to this or any future site update posting.

First, the site has been coded entirely from scratch, utilizing PHP, JavaScript, and AJAX. With the exception of some YouTube and other small snippets, the site contains all original code and no 'off the shelf' material. It was created according to the plan that it would be updated regularly to add new features according to a schedule, and any major changes would be separated into specific versions to keep it organized.

I have noted a great number of comments about RSS, even to the extent of users inserting code as user comments related to it. Realize that RSS was not 'omitted' from the initial site version because it was 'rejected' or we don't know how to code it. Actually RSS has always been on the feature list, however due to the amount of code required to launch the site was moved to a future version. RSS is comming soon, however it must be pointed out that there are at least as many administration pages as the public pages you can see as regular users, and there are a great deal of additions to be completed to these first. It is much more important to complete every function required for Ross to more easily enter videos, posts, screen shots, and other material than it is to enable RSS, so please be patient. Bearing this in mind, please feel free to provide any feedback or suggestions either by site comment or email to Ross's address listed in the sidebar.

EDIT BY ROSS SCOTT:

Sorry everyone that the commenting system was broken all this morning, I guess that doesn't bode well for Mike's first post. Andrew Theis, the host of the site, was able to fix it for us, so it should be working again now.

EDIT BY MIKE SOUTHWORTH:

Sorry that we were not able to record comments. Unfortunately we are using a manual version control process and that one file was not uploaded as it's correct working version. The file is now syncronized and working properly. Please email Ross if you see a problem like this and we will fix it immediately.

So i guess Mike won the race The site is up before the next CP . You owe me a beer ! I lost my bet

This should not be a future occurance, but please use Ross's email to report any problems if the commenting system doesn't respond.

If you have any suggestions for any changes on the site, please post them here and they will be reviewed.

Thanks for your support.

By - Philip

I can make you nice background it will be better

CaptinZM -- The cow is over at the bottom of the FAQ section. Ross never had one in the site banner... I don't think there is enough room.

My son Justin calls this one "Spooky Cow". I guess it would be considered the mascot. If you think the cow would look good on other pages, make a comment about it. Ross decides that kind of thing, but he was considering somewhere on the news page at one point in time as I recall.

Yey! We can login now xD Great work guys . Contact me if you need something from me i am photoshop expert with wacom tabled and stuff so i can draw you anything Ross know my mail

Thanks! The site looks nice Mike. Think maybe you could add an RSS feed in the future? I liked that feature on the old site.

Wasn't there a Cow with glowing red eyes on the logo before?

If T-shirts are made... the Cow has to be on one. It definitely needs to make more appearances.

I watched the video and saw where I've seen the cow at before. When you display the Accursed Farms Logo at the end of the video its on there with its glowing eyes.

Well finally i can leave my comment, i really knew something was wrong when every time i tried to make a comment it always showed up that error, really annoying. Well, what i wanted to say is for you Ross or maybe Mike, i've noticed that the download link for the CP: Aliens episode seems to be broken or something, the point is that you can't download it, maybe you can take a look at it guys, i'm just reporting this little bug, maybe its some machinima's problem but maybe you can fix it. Check it out. The site rocks Ross, congratulations for you and Mike and the people involved on this. By the way, check out the subtitles translated to spanish in 2 e-mails that i've sent you Ross, they might work great. Greetings.

Mariano Peralta

aww my comment didn't go through. As long as they are working now.

Just had a quick question for ya Mike. Sorry if it's already being asked but is Accursed Farms going to see its own forums in the near future?

Hello Mike. Do you plan to add OpenID authentication to the site in the foreseeable future? I wouldn't mind to shed my anonymity, but registering is too much hassle.

final.six - Concerning forums... You are looking at a single topic forum right here, more or less. Ross mentioned the idea of forums and we are looking at it. It would entail writing a lot more code where we basically add multiple 'Topics' other than just 'News' and then there is the issue of comments responding to other comments rather than just posts, etc. (I hate 'parent / child' algorythms, but you can't escape them). It can be done, it's a matter of how much work we wish to schedule in that direction. I would think we would want to run the current version of the site for a while to work out any kinks or make improvements before embarking on an additional project. RSS seems to be a high priority request before coding forums.

I will post any news related to where we are with forums when we get to that point. I know there are 'off the shelf' products for it, but many of the free ones are unsecure (I've made money recovering forum sites from hacker attacks). My personal objective is to code as much as possible rather than use outside products.

I heard that someone has a forum externally in place, and I even found pages on 'facebook' for CP. It would be up to Ross, however we might consider 'Fan Links' or something similar.

I like the page transistion that this site uses.

The site page transition is unfortunately an Internet Explorer only item. It takes advantage of advanced functions in that particular browser. If you wish to use this feature on your own web pages, place this in the head:

It would be cool if you could post comments like this on each individual movie page.