PS Vita

Sign in to follow this  

I've never been very into handheld game systems, but the "Ps Vita" is kind of interesting in that it's the first time really that a handheld has kept pace graphically with current generation consoles. There are actually simultaneous releases planned of Ps3 and Vita titles.

Anyway, I'm just interested personally because it has an Uncharted title. ;)

Discuss

Don't get a PSP man. The library of games isn't that amazing. The really good ones are actually getting PS3 rereleases recently too. (God of War, Peacewalker)

So now we're a few months on from the release I think it's safe to say that this was yet another flop from Sony.

I can't say the Vita's poor sales are surprising. The hardware's expensive, the games are okay (my opinion, I've only seen a few vita games I'd like to play. Sadly, all three of them are rehashes of PS3 or PS2 games that I already own), and the system is pretty much unhackable, a 'flaw' in the PSP that helped boost its sales.

The worst thing about it, is that all of these features, and more, will surely be passed down the line to the fourth home console Sony may release (assuming they last that long). Thanks Sony, you made my decision to be a PC gamer all the easier.

I knew someone who got one about 6 months pre-release... He said it was literally a portable PS3...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I knew someone who got one about 6 months pre-release... He said it was literally a portable PS3...

Well you've got no games and a tiny resolution.

So yes a portable PS3.

I got a PS Vita for Christmas. Here are my initial impressions:

The Bad: It's a shame the Vita's potential hasn't been lived up to yet, especially since some features could be easily expanded. ie: Remote Play should be able to use more features, and the Cross-Controller should be for all games. Not to mention the underwhelming performance of both COD and Resistance. They added a second stick, finally, and then managed to fuck up two FPS games from two great series. I really hope this is rectified with Killzone: Mercenary and possibly Bioshock, if that project goes forward. Also, fuck the proprietary memory cards. $100 bucks for 32gb. That's a ripoff.

The Good: That being said, the Vita itself is quite impressive. It makes up for many of the shortcomings of the PSP by having a sharper screen, more power, and more input options (front and rear touch controls and they finally added a second goddamned analog stick.) While there is a limited library of Vita games so far , you can still play PS1, Minis, and PSP games. It also has many of the functions of your typical smartphone (Camera, facebook, twitter, youtube, netflix, web-browsing, maps, etc.) Also, Uncharted and Assassin's Creed in my pants.

The Price: Now, I got mine as a gift, so this is not really my problem. But price is one thing that stopped me from buying my own before now. The games are reasonably priced at about $35-40, about the same as a 3DS game. Sony has a monopoly on the memory cards, so their price will mercilessly rape your wallet.

ADHD Version: The PS Vita is good with lots of potential. This potential has not been fully reached. Shit's too expensive (except for the games)

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

Also, fuck the proprietary memory cards. $100 bucks for 32gb. That's a ripoff.
It might not be a ripoff but a memory card with a high transfer rate.

Take a look at this one I found on newegg for $100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-208-606

It could also be more expensive because, if you're selling a proprietary piece of hardware, then you're not going to sell as much than if it were a mainstream piece. So it would make logical sense to price it higher to compensate for the demand and make a decent profit.

EDIT: After some research, I've come to the conclusion that Sony is (stupidly) withholding information/specifications on its memory cards. This action probably has kept some people from purchasing a PS Vita entirely.

Sony, you're supposed to be run by smart people. I thought I already told you to fire the monkeys, so why are they still here? Bad executives, BAD!

Fair points. Of course that's an explanation, what they need is a solution to bring costs down. Now, hell if I know what that is, but firing the monkeys is a good start.

I'm still loving my Vita though! Been playing Uncharted. The only real negative I have to say about it is a singular instance where the game has you hold some parchment up to a light to reveal some text. And it does this by having you actually hold the Vita up to a light. When you're playing a game in the dark and you have to get up and turn on a light, it kinda takes you out of the experience. Otherwise, fantastic game!

I was kinda interested in the Black Ops title for Vita and definitely the Wipeout game, and it seems like a solid handheld with functions beyond just gaming as it works for chatting, web browsing and so on as well, and doubles as an mp3 player. Maybe when the price drops I'd be interested in getting one.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I was kinda interested in the Black Ops title for Vita and definitely the Wipeout game, and it seems like a solid handheld with functions beyond just gaming as it works for chatting, web browsing and so on as well, and doubles as an mp3 player. Maybe when the price drops I'd be interested in getting one.

Black Ops has some wonky controls. The aiming is not as precise as it could be, and the grenade button on the touch screen is close to the Square (which is used to reload). I ended up throwing a grenade a couple times when I went to reload. Wipeout is pretty sweet though, I got that one too. I might try and work out a split-screen type match with my PS3 via cross-play.

Yeah, Black Ops seemed like a pretty bad game but there are almost no FPS's on the handheld yet and those are the types of games I'm drawn to the most.

I'm considering getting it just so I can play old Tomb Raider games on the go though from the PSN store.

Apparently you can also map the right stick for old PSP games, so some of those FPSs my be vastly improved by that.

Yeah, my comment I made months ago here is still fairly true. Except that I can only think of 1 vita title I'd want to play, but I played the crap out of it on the PS2. Although, now that Vita hacks are out there, it's definitely worth a look for people who are interested in their current and upcoming library.

Just figured out yesterday that since I got WipEout HD Fury as part of Sony's "sorry we let your stuff get fucked up" package, I can get it free on Vita! I paid $18 for 2048, and got about $12 worth of addons free. I'm digging this "cross-buy" stuff, we need more of that.

Also, no luck with my "two-player via cross-play" experiment. Looks like Vita goes to random lobbies so far, although the devs said they planned on adding more stuff, so maybe this will be fixed in the future.

I wonder if there'll ever be a feature where if you customize a character on one system it'll be the same on the other? They could call it "cross-dress". Wait... no...

Just figured out yesterday that since I got WipEout HD Fury as part of Sony's "sorry we let your stuff get fucked up" package, I can get it free on Vita! I paid $18 for 2048, and got about $12 worth of addons free. I'm digging this "cross-buy" stuff, we need more of that.

Also, no luck with my "two-player via cross-play" experiment. Looks like Vita goes to random lobbies so far, although the devs said they planned on adding more stuff, so maybe this will be fixed in the future.

I wonder if there'll ever be a feature where if you customize a character on one system it'll be the same on the other? They could call it "cross-dress". Wait... no...

Nah, you already have that feature irl, and it usually involves a lot of confusion.