Battlefield 3 beta

Anyone else in the Battlefield 3 beta? I've played it a bit and found it quite fun. And the movement is lovely, very much like the movement in Mirror's Edge. Well, unless it breaks as the beta has been a little bit buggy, but in general I've found it most enjoyable.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Haven't played it myself, but from what my friend tells me it's a bit of a hacker disaster so far. He linked me to a screenshot of a scoreboard and the top player had over 500 million kills per minute. The server information was leaked so people were running servers with 255 player limits which crowded the maps so bad that just shooting in a random direction would result in a kill. Sounds pretty fun just for how chaotic it is right now, but I don't plan on getting it myself. I have a vendetta against origin.

Could have used a better map with vehicles on it. But this was the same dance as from BC2. The first hour or two I play it for is extremely fun, with me anxiously waiting for my next unlock. Then I am waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and fucking waiting because you have to grind absolutely everything to get the most out of the guns. It just stopped being fun in any way after two hours total. And the campaign will be shit, so hardly worth buying it for that.

I love you, yet can't stand to know you exist.

I do have to say that I really don't like equipment unlocks in games these days, I feel like it just really doesn't belong in many games.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not really digging Bad Company 3

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

One word,

GLITCHEEEEEEESS!!!!!!

lAn8BFhD0t4

This game is fucking crazy !!! :lol:

And if there is this many really obvious glitches in beta we can expect many less obvious in the final version.

But in reality the new engine is something I've been looking for forever.

Everything get's destroyed, that's right no more spray paint after grenade hits the ground/wall like in all fps shooters before. No more walls that stay intact after shooting them with a bazzoka. Make your own door by shooting a hole into the wall.

This is a huge step forward in fps gaming and realistic gameplay and will bring many tactics I wanted to try with it.

Imagine killing your enemies by making the building collapse on them. Imagine artifical trenches by exploding the ground?

Now BF is always going to be BF, a good multiplayer fps game with arcade vehicle gameplay but fun. However the BF series was always lacking serious competition. When these new features will be used by Valve and the other big companies we can expect some serious gaming.

Something like counter strike or Half-life combined with this engine... oh man.

I predict someone is going to use minecraft on relation with my post -_-

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

I'm only in the open beta, where there are no vehicles. And only certain things seem to be destructible I'm afraid, ProHypster. I don't know if this will change for other maps or in the full game.

They really dumbed down the graphics for the PC beta, so that everyone gets a taste of it. That's why you're getting limited destructibility, but it's going to be fully destructuble in the full version. Also, if you've seen how massive those maps are, the initial launch will have 9, count 'em, 9 maps. It's a beta guys. They DO have a finished, polished product, but they're releasing the beta because people will give feedback and DICE wants to take a very Valve-like approach to updating.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

The gameplay is still exactly the same as BFBC2, I couldn't care less about graphics, and it's a beta so I know there's going to be bugs. But the gameplay is boring and everything else about the game is generic.

They really dumbed down the graphics for the PC beta, so that everyone gets a taste of it. That's why you're getting limited destructibility, but it's going to be fully destructuble in the full version. Also, if you've seen how massive those maps are, the initial launch will have 9, count 'em, 9 maps. It's a beta guys. They DO have a finished, polished product, but they're releasing the beta because people will give feedback and DICE wants to take a very Valve-like approach to updating.

Where did you read they toned down the destructibility for the beta? I'd certainly like to see confirmation for that. And this just may be me being a little spoiled by Team Fortress 2, but 9 maps sounds like a very low number of maps. Unless every map will be available for each game-type, then that might be more excusable. And how exactly is DICE going to use feedback from a beta that they've already developed past? Like you said, they have the shiny, complete version already done. They threw us this old, actual beta version they copied onto a different folder or something a few months ago to give to us for a demo. All the complaints we may have with it have already been fixed.

And this just may be me being a little spoiled by Team Fortress 2, but 9 maps sounds like a very low number of maps.

On release TF2 had six official maps.

And this just may be me being a little spoiled by Team Fortress 2, but 9 maps sounds like a very low number of maps.

True. But over time they realized that is too low of a number and now there are 49 maps officially in the game.

1st: Game Informer issue for March 2011. DICE said the multiplayer environments would be practically fully destructible. They're not going to let you destroy things that are vital to the game, but cover areas can be blown up, you can make your own entrance to most buildings, etc.

2nd: 9 maps is quite a lot, considering their size and they will have a lot of the game modes available on each map. And they will release another map pack within 6 months of the release.

3rd: I just got 30 amazing minutes with the Xbox beta today and I have to say I love this game. The graphics are beautiful (the smoke can be a nuisance sometimes), and the weaponry is fantastic. Take the scope of a Sniper rifle and you've got yourself a powerful weapon suited for everything but super-long range (awesome for Metro). I find the aircraft in this game to add a lot more depth to the battle than there was in Bad Company. The infantry combat is much nicer than in BC2 as well.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

And they will release another map pack within 6 months of the release.

Is that you guessing or did they really have the balls to say something like that?

True. But over time they realized that is too low of a number and now there are 49 maps officially in the game.

My point is that for a game on-release, 9 multiplayer maps isn't unreasonably small at all.

And they will release another map pack within 6 months of the release.

Is that you guessing or did they really have the balls to say something like that?

That's what they said in the Game Informer interview. They didn't want to do things like they did in BC2 and wait a year to release new content. Their goal is frequent updating with this game, not to the same extent as TF2, but halfway between.