School Uniform Policies

Should schools require uniforms?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Should schools require uniforms?

• Other (please explain)
    • No
    • Yes

Sign in to follow this  

As we all know, a lot of private schools and some public schools (even some of which are in my county) have recently started to enforce the wearing of uniforms. They do so because of their supposed conduciveness to a learning environment, but those who oppose uniforms mention things such as violating the students' right to freedom of expression.

What do you all think about uniforms being required in schools?

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Simple answer and opinion already resolved.

Two types of schools for both. You can choose to go to either.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Well, I know of several public schools where uniforms are enforced.

Charter/private schools have them more often, but they're definitely existent in public schools. Besides, what about students who want higher quality of learning at a private school, but disagree with the uniform policies?

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Charter/private schools have them more often, but they're definitely existent in public schools.

And you can choose your public school.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Charter/private schools have them more often, but they're definitely existent in public schools.

And you can choose your public school.

What if all of the public schools in a district have uniforms? That's the case in my county.

Bus/Bike? School is mainly an assimilation system anyway, we learn much more at home then at school.

Only specific courses after primary/secondary school are important.

For school, just suck it up.... Unfortunately most people in the district must have disagreed with your opinion.

If a school requires you to wear uniforms, either you wear the uniform or you don't attend the school.

This does bring up one of the problems with government-run and funded education: if you don't like the policies, you can't simply switch to a better school. That's one of the many reasons schools should be run by the profit-making industry.

You are getting really predictable I have to say....

On what planet is it THAT easy to switch schools?

Also, in what century is "lie back, close your eyes and think of [England]" still considered an acceptable solution to a problem?

In reality school uniforms don't do anything to improve the learning environment that a dress code doesn't do. You can still tell who the poor kids are, and who the rich kids are, and anything else that clothing says about a person. It's all still there.

Except that uniforms titillate the freakazoids.

[/rant]

Funny true story... I used to have a propensity for wearing dark blue slacks and light blue shirts to work in the library I used to work at. I just like blue. This ended when I, at 25, was mistaken for a student at the Catholic School next door, because dark blue slacks and a light blue shirt was the boys' "uniform" there.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

I believe I did read somewhere that in the USA it is actually hard to switch schools, as for me I have switched schools 15 times in my lifetime without a problem.

Also, in what century is "lie back, close your eyes and think of [England]" still considered an acceptable solution to a problem?

If school were to be thought of like a conscription and a discipline why should it differ from an army.

In reality school uniforms don't do anything to improve the learning environment that a dress code doesn't do. You can still tell who the poor kids are, and who the rich kids are, and anything else that clothing says about a person. It's all still there.

[/rant]

It helps assimilate the children OR seperate the assimilated from the rest.

@Michael

Stop doing that and explain yourself or I will eventually force you into an IRC speed-debate about your type of "capitalism" :P

Exactly. That's why I advocate capitalism.

Meh. I don't think I'd have received any better education from a corporation which was at least as concerned with its quarterly profits as it was with my educational well-being.

If I had my druthers, I might advocate something like the old apprenticeship system. I don't see how anything could beat one-on-one, specialized learning from accomplished professionals.

But we could really improve the educational environment just by getting rid of all the jerks who don't want to learn. Gotta have somebody to clean the sewers and conduct human trials for drugs on...

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

If I had my druthers, I might advocate something like the old apprenticeship system. I don't see how anything could beat one-on-one, specialized learning from accomplished professionals.

For this I agree. I was exhausted of group-jerking around at school and of teachers whom I had to teach....

I believe specialized or digital home-schooling is the future.

If school were to be thought of like a conscription and a discipline why should it differ from an army.

I think that's a terrible way to look at education.

[/rant]

It helps assimilate the children OR seperate the assimilated from the rest.

Assimilation is for these guys:

borg1.GIF

Haha, you think I liked it when I was in schools in Germany and Canada (Where they actually play the anthem in the morning every day)

As I said, assimilation is the primary objective of schools, so suck it through.

I moved schools because I moved places.

As you can see by my location I moved even since the time I joined this forum half a year ago.

But I also moved schools in Ukraine simply because I didn't liek some and they accepted that and moved me. (Public)

-------EDit:

Furthermore I got my education from textbooks (Including school) and internet..... at home, from school I never really learned a thing.

University and College is education, but before that it's mostly assimilation.

So, yes, I do think of school as a conscription of children.

Meh. I don't think I'd have received any better education from a corporation which was at least as concerned with its quarterly profits as it was with my educational well-being.

By the same logic, computers made for profit wouldn't be as good as computers made by the government through taxation. By the same logic, search engines and online retail stores wouldn't be as good government made search engines and retail stores.

Haven't you noticed that the profit-motive is responsible for everything good in your life? People are always complaining about the US education system about how far we are behind other countries. I think they're even talking about abolishing the "No Child Left Behind" policies. That's because the government does everything in a half-assed way. Hell, look at legitimate government services like the police and military: it takes the police about half an hour to respond to a house alarm going off in my area, while it takes private security two minutes (it's part of their "guarantee" to their customers). With the military, everyone knows how good "military intelligence" is.

The profit-motive make sure everything is top-quality; if it's not, no profit. Just look at the least regulated industries: automobiles, computers and technology, and online shopping. It would be blasphemy if it took Apple more than a few days to ship an iPod across the country vs. it's expected that it will take the government a month to ship your renewed driver's license next door.

@Michael

Stop doing that and explain yourself or I will eventually force you into an IRC speed-debate about your type of "capitalism" :P

Alright, alright, alright. I gladly explain, I just didn't think it was the time or place.

Basically, the reason why public education is immoral is that it forces people at the point of a gun to pay for another person's child even if they don't agree with it. It's the government declaring, "you don't have a right to the money you've made"; it's initiating force. And worse, it's all done in the name of "need". Somehow, a child's need is a claim on the life and effort of someone else according to their logic. That's why the only moral alternative to education is schools run for profit--where all transactions are through voluntary consent and not through the use of force.

It's called "lassiez-faire", by the way. 8-)

On the actual topic of uniforms, I go to a private school with a simple uniform. Dress shirt and pants with an optional sweater. It's very comfortable and I enjoy not having to think about what I'm wearing. Public schools on the other hand shouldn't enforce uniforms. Teens are going to express themselves one way or another, making them dress a certain way is only going to make them do it in another, less acceptable, way.

Wow michael archer... just wow, I had to make an account just to answer to that.

Private companies are NOT the source of the best stuff. I'm sorry but low-quality junk comes from everywhere: the fact is that competition has good points and bad points and it is definitively not perfect (I'm looking intensively at the concept of making stuff un-repearable so you instead have to buy new products instead. This leads to less resistant products being created as well as a plethora of enviromental problems). Capitalism also fails on several points, especially pure capitalism

On the concept of public vs private school I'll have to say I am deeply anti-private school, for multiple reasons (you'll have to be aware here that I'm basing my opinion on the school system here in Quebec (Canada)).

First, there's the whole better education banner. As far as I'm concerned this is untrue. I have friends who have gone to private school and I didn't see a terribly big difference in the education they received.

Secondly there's the concept of better grades in private schools. Most private schools usually boot those who don't have the grades. Where do these people go? to the public system (unless they pay to stay . . .). End of point

Thirdly, and this is closely related to my second point, the so-called better support fails to work when most students in dire need of it end up in the public system.

There are a few more but those are the biggest ones (that and paying for a system that's 60% funded by the government (where I live, I don't know how it works elsewhere).

Regarding your opinion why public school is immoral amazes me. That's why we live in a democracy, so that you can go speak out your opinion at the school council-thingy (not sure how you call those). Public school is actually more democratic for that than private schools, because you have a say on how things are done (usually. Exceptions always exist).

As far as uniforms go, I find them to be completely useless. Guidelines regarding clothing, yes, you have those everywhere. Set uniforms? Don't actually do anything worthwhile

Wow michael archer... just wow, I had to make an account just to answer to that.

Private companies are NOT the source of the best stuff. I'm sorry but low-quality junk comes from everywhere: the fact is that competition has good points and bad points and it is definitively not perfect (I'm looking intensively at the concept of making stuff un-repearable so you instead have to buy new products instead. This leads to less resistant products being created as well as a plethora of enviromental problems). Capitalism also fails on several points, especially pure capitalism

On the concept of public vs private school I'll have to say I am deeply anti-private school, for multiple reasons (you'll have to be aware here that I'm basing my opinion on the school system here in Quebec (Canada)).

First, there's the whole better education banner. As far as I'm concerned this is untrue. I have friends who have gone to private school and I didn't see a terribly big difference in the education they received.

Secondly there's the concept of better grades in private schools. Most private schools usually boot those who don't have the grades. Where do these people go? to the public system (unless they pay to stay . . .). End of point

Thirdly, and this is closely related to my second point, the so-called better support fails to work when most students in dire need of it end up in the public system.

There are a few more but those are the biggest ones (that and paying for a system that's 60% funded by the government (where I live, I don't know how it works elsewhere).

Regarding your opinion why public school is immoral amazes me. That's why we live in a democracy, so that you can go speak out your opinion at the school council-thingy (not sure how you call those). Public school is actually more democratic for that than private schools, because you have a say on how things are done (usually. Exceptions always exist).

As far as uniforms go, I find them to be completely useless. Guidelines regarding clothing, yes, you have those everywhere. Set uniforms? Don't actually do anything worthwhile

Hahahaha, this is especially funny to me because you are the second person (after me) to make an account because you just had to answer to one of michael archers posts. :lol::lol::lol:.

Mind as well stick around now ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 93 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.