Should school be optional before 18?

Should school be optional at any age?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should school be optional at any age?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (please explain)

Sign in to follow this  

I guess above would be described as teenager :/

With the hormones pumping, a teenager is even MORE likely to be an idiot than a child.

Children do stupid things out of ignorance and testing their boundaries.

Teenagers do far stupider things for far worse reasons.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

I guess I should add to my statement :).

How long does puberty last?

Again, it's different for each person. Some girls and guys develop quickly, taking just two or three years to go through most of puberty's changes. For other kids, the various stages of puberty will take longer, perhaps four or five years. The important thing to remember is that puberty doesn't happen all at once. It's a slow, gradual thing, and includes a lot of changes.

My question is this, if the transition to adulthood lasts differently for everyone (And I don't even remember ever having any mental disturbance during puberty btw) Why the 16/18/19 oh yeah and 21 (in USA) year barrier for people?

Because it's simple and easy to use, I understand and we are too lazy to use the proper mental barriers. Better easy then rightfully.

@Doomshepherd

However the hormones DO NOT stop after the transition from teen to adult :roll:

And they appear more significantly during seperate stages later again.

Though for me, I really don't recall (And my mother agrees) any mental disturbance or rebellion other then the ones I still arguably reasonably have against some authority.

I never argued with my mother or father other then for the reason of my own freedom.

I never felt compelled to do anything stupid and never felt I needed to boost my social status. In fact I kept only a few friends that were alike, I'm proud to have a manipulative social status among average people. (Meaning I can easily change states from super cool to super dork or the opposite whenever I want to, it's all very primitive I understand now)

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

I guess above would be described as teenager :/

With the hormones pumping, a teenager is even MORE likely to be an idiot than a child.

Children do stupid things out of ignorance and testing their boundaries.

Teenagers do far stupider things for far worse reasons.

National Geographic did an article on the teenage mind recently. Not all decisions are made out of ignorance, despite how stupid they are. (at least according to NG)

I think maybe if you're over 13 it should be, just because of some situations people can get into that school can make worse. But only if you have a good reason. Here school stops at 15/16 anyway. You can choose to go to college (college in the UK isn't the same as in the US, but university is) or sixth form (which is a continuation of school).

I think maybe if you're over 13 it should be, just because of some situations people can get into that school can make worse. But only if you have a good reason. Here school stops at 15/16 anyway. You can choose to go to college (college in the UK isn't the same as in the US, but university is) or sixth form (which is a continuation of school).

Same in Ukraine.

Also I agree, I think the principal should be the final judge of whether you can or cannot leave school. However there are certain situations in which people have to leave school as it is better for them. If you are just quitting school for no reason and have no job to begin with, then the principal should talk you out of it if you do have a job and a plan then you should be able to.

Let's not forget there's adultschool for those who want to catch up to school.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

I still think 18 is a good age. You can't start any real plan for your life when your 13. And adultschool is very different from normal school, as a kid you don't have to pay any bills and whatnot so you have a lot more time to invest in school. Also, from a biological standpoint, you learn a hell of a lot faster/better when you're a kid.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And adultschool is very different from normal school, as a kid you don't have to pay any bills and whatnot so you have a lot more time to invest in school.

Kirkreng, with all due respect there are millions of teens 13-17 who have to pay rent/work to survive.

There are hundreds of thousands who start their careers at 13-17 years old and are succesful.

By the way, it would help if the serious topics with a specific question regarding aspects that are different in every country would state which country we are talking about when asking the topic question.

I agree. Because where I live it is not the case(not to this extend anyways). And you are very right that for some people adultschool might be not that different from normal school. But those hundreds of thousands who start their career as early as 13 are nothing compared to the millions that don't. And If you start your career at 13 and stop going to school for it, when said career does not work out, you will have a hard time getting a good job unless you start going to school again(which depending on the situation can cause you to make up for years of lost work).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

By the way, it would help if the serious topics with a specific question regarding aspects that are different in every country would state which country we are talking about when asking the topic question.

I'd gladly specify, but it'd be a problem for anyone viewing the thread who's not in that country. :|

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

@Doomshepherd

However the hormones DO NOT stop after the transition from teen to adult :roll:

And they appear more significantly during seperate stages later again.

Yeah, but you get used to them, so they stop affecting you as much. Plus, you stop physically growing and maturing, which changes your imbalance. Plus, you gain mighty XP, which also helps with the coping. (and actually, certain natural hormones do taper off with age. That's why male and female hormone supplements exist.)

Though for me, I really don't recall (And my mother agrees) any mental disturbance or rebellion other then the ones I still arguably reasonably have against some authority.

Wait ten years.

Then you will almost certainly see that the thoughts expressed in this video between 1:09 and 1:30 are a universal truth:

http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=110&v=trending ;)

I never argued with my mother or father other then for the reason of my own freedom.

I never felt compelled to do anything stupid and never felt I needed to boost my social status.

Yeah, me neither. Well, not egregiously stupid. I did do a few things against my nature while attempting to impress girls, but that was more along the lines of doing something that was safe, even though it triggered one or more of my phobias, rather than doing something that was unsafe in order to get :look at ME!" points.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

Optional to whom? To child, I say no; to the parents, I say yes.

Using the police to force children to go to institutions without the parents' consent is something out of a dictatorship.

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.