Should school be optional before 18?

Should school be optional at any age?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should school be optional at any age?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (please explain)

Sign in to follow this  

I've spent a considerable amount of time pondering... should school be a choice at any age?

School is definitely critical, but some think the choice of whether or not an education is received is in the hands of the child.

What do you all think?

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Well you already know my opinion this but i might as well post it here again for others.

I think it is okay the way it works now, that you are given a choice once you reach the age of 18. Because you can't give a child such an important choice. Because as child you don't have a good sense of responsibility and outlook of your future. As a child you don't really care, you live in the moment, which is the fun of being a child. This however can backfire if you give a child the ability to make choices with such an impact on the future of your live.

For example: You are 10 and you are given the choice of what you're going to eat(you don't have to eat the same every day) for the rest of your life. What will you say? You will pick burgers and candy of course, you don't consider the major health problems that come with it.

That is why you have and need parents to make decisions for you, they do actually know what is better for you(most of the time), whether you, at the time, want to believe it or not.

Note to self, cut down on the commas o.o

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree with Kirk here. School is mandatory until 18 for a reason, it's at school you build up your social skills, learn about the world and in general develop as a human being. Now, some would probably claim that children can be homeschooled but I think the way children bond together and create a community is just as important, and school is like that, or was like that for me at least. It wasn't just about learning, it was also about finding friends and learning together.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I originally thought "yes," but you've all made some good points. I'm voting no.

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Because you can't give a child such an important choice. Because as child you don't have a good sense of responsibility and outlook of your future. As a child you don't really care, you live in the moment, which is the fun of being a child. This however can backfire if you give a child the ability to make choices with such an impact on the future of your live.

Pretty much this.

No, for the reasons quoted above, and also the reason that I am now old enough to objectively evaluate my childhood, and... Listen, this may upset some of you who are still kids, but...

Children are freakin' morons.. I was a straight-A student, IQ of 176, but still... Freakin' moron, when it came to the kinds of decisions rational adults have to make.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

Is a child responsible enough to make such a decision before the age of 18?

(Please consider that the ages of 1 day, 1 year, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17 are all ages that are less than 18.)

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

I propose a test for decision making rather then the traditional 16/18/19 year old barrier.

If a person at 16 is as smart and responsible as a 25 year old average person he should not be limited freedom.

Although people at 16 smarter then 25 year old average person usually find a way outside the system for their things....

This isn't only about school though, still I'm a strong anti-ageist

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

I propose a test for decision making rather then the traditional 16/18/19 year old barrier.

If a person at 16 is as smart and responsible as a 25 year old average person he should not be limited freedom.

Although people at 16 smarter then 25 year old average person usually find a way outside the system for their things....

This isn't only about school though, still I'm a strong anti-ageist

Knowledge isn't a good measure of intelligence. Taking a test on making the right decisions is easy, making (and acting on) the right decisions in real life is much harder. I think a better measure of maturity is when you realize how important school is and that you can't skip it if you plan on getting anywhere.

it'd be recklessly irresponsible for any government to decide to let children decide if they want to go to school...a child should definitely have rights, but some, if not most, rights are better left out of their hands.

The bad part about it is that you don't even realize how good things are as a kid until you grow up.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think a better measure of maturity is when you realize how important school is and that you can't skip it if you plan on getting anywhere.

I disagree.

Alyxx: I disagree

Kirkreng: I disagree

Bill Ludwick: Agreed

:roll::(

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

I am confused, how can you agree with Bill but not me or Alyxx. We are all pretty much saying the same thing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nah, maybe your opinions are similar however I only agree with Bill's post that:

it'd be recklessly irresponsible for any government to decide to let children decide if they want to go to school...a child should definitely have rights, but some, if not most, rights are better left out of their hands.

Children =< 13 years old

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 93 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.