Atmospheric music vs Memorable music

Atmospheric music or Memorable music  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Atmospheric music or Memorable music

• Atmospheric
    • Memorable

Sign in to follow this  

Memorable at times like the ending credits and the opening screen (Such as "I don't want to set the world on fire" at the Fallout 3 intro scene), and atmospheric elsewhere. That way you get atmospheric to set the mood of the game, and memorable music for times when it isn't distracting you from gameplay.

"I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London." - Wernher von Braun

I do think memorable music can be used at times throughout the game without it being distracting. For example, the kick-ass Half Life music that comes on when you've got a challenge approaching, yes it's distracting, but it just pumps you up for the battle ahead. Another example would be story moments that lack any gameplay, e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?start=611&v=BenRV0iVG6E

Once again, I'll say that memorable atmospheric music can easily exist. Music that plays behind the game and enhances the mood, but it easily recognizable.

Some examples of music that's atmospheric AND memorable.

zlN-ux1JzG0

_V6zWf3ZPnE

8yKG-Qu4WvM

To be honest I don't remember that or Portal or the AC2 soundtrack.

However I do agree with you on the point that music can be atmospheric and memorable at the same time.

Great example is Triage at Dawn:

_HPn50uSSw0

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hm, I guess I listen to those soundtracks more often than most. Portal's ambient music is very characteristic. It uses a lot of echo and slow sounds, so I guess some might not take notice.

AC2, though actually uses a lot of quick repeated melodies and cues that I think anyone would notice.

A more action oriented song from AC2

5EaRHlo4B0Y

Hm, I guess I listen to those soundtracks more often than most. Portal's ambient music is very characteristic. It uses a lot of echo and slow sounds, so I guess some might not take notice.

AC2, though actually uses a lot of quick repeated melodies and cues that I think anyone would notice.

Well yeah, some games have memorable songs in the sense that when you hear it you can tell its from said game. But it isn't memorable as in something I would hum in the shower.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯