Atmospheric music vs Memorable music

Atmospheric music or Memorable music  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Atmospheric music or Memorable music

• Atmospheric
    • Memorable

Sign in to follow this  

Atmospheric or Memorable music, which do you prefer?

Atmospheric sounds are those songs that you don't really remember all that well but they set the mood and are usually very powerful then and there, while memorable music are those songs tht you go around humming such as world 1-1 from SMB.

Personally I like atmospheric as it sets the mood for what's happening in the game and gets you involved.

I think this very much depends on context, so I'm going to go with both. :D

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Eh, really good atmospheric music is memorable. Like the bit that plays during the first elevator ride in "Welcome to Rapture" when Atlas is narrating about how the city went to hell, and you get to see it. I could kinda throw in all of the halo soundtracks, they're really not "themes" for anything, but set the mood for the section where they play ( except the flood theme, that's always for them)

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Some music can very much blend the two. The music in Riven is very ambient during normal gameplay. Then, during emotional cutscenes, it sort of organically ramps up to be more epic. Still, in either state, there are melodies that I can easily recite to this day.

You can see it in these tracks how they start out very smooth and quiet, then everything gets really epic.

Dl9oC7VMFkM

2WEIIlvUU2I

I still remember this tune from KotOR because it was so relaxing, very good ambient music for a hub:

pD4YUEd18R0

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

I'm more of an action type so in general I prefer memorable tunes like Megaman, Doom and Duke Nukem, or the tunes from the classic arcade games like R-Type and Afterburner. And I can't imagine Sonic the Hedgehog without the memorable songs.

But those kind of arcady games are less about atmosphere and more about the action.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Memmorable, because it's (as usual) very atmosphric, and it brings hell lot of memmories.

Gothic Ost

Morrowind, Oblivion, Kotor, the Neverhood, Deus Ex, Planecsape Torment... And more...

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

Like a memorable piece of music would be-

PsC0zIhWNww

or

zCNHVMIYqiA

and atmospheric music would be-

cTVuIq3n65I

or

jTdcJWDNsao

Both types have there pros and cons, memorable music is usually used on a title screen because of it's... well... memorability, but it doesn't usually cause a dramatic emotional response to it.

Atmospheric music is made to go along with something you are experiencing to add to the emotional response. When I listen to atmospheric music it conjures up the feelings I felt at the time, that's why I don't listen to an OST unless I've played the game.

Memorable. Just because of City Escape.

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

And I can't imagine Sonic the Hedgehog without the memorable songs.

Oh my god, Sonic the Hedgehog, throughout ALL his games, has the biggest orgasm inducing collection of music I've ever heard in videogames, or ANYTHING for that matter. I played through Sonic Generations and went through each stage listening to it's music and I couldn't find one I didn't like. Just...wow.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Is it really too much to ask for both memorable and atmospheric music? (Example: Exhibit 13 - Blue Man Group) (Example 2: Peter Gunn Theme Song)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

-0Y8CmeXp7Y

This whole soundtrack sends chills up my spine just remembering my Impossible run

Memorable at the main screen, most important cutscenes and at the ending.

Atmospheric during everything else.

That why Deus Ex soundtrack kicked so much ass.

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"