Should I get AMD or Intel

Sign in to follow this  

I'm in the process of building a new gaming computer, for Crysis 2 and stuff like that. Originally, I was going for an Intel i5 2500k, but after some research, AMD doesn't seem as bad as I am always told. Cheaper, so I can invest in the new Radeon HD 7970 video card, which will be about $550, and a great video card is the most important part of a gaming build. I believe that using AMD CPU's and GPU's together adds a performance boost. I'm thinking about the AMD Phenom II X4 975 with a Noctua D14, and I don't know how far I can overclock, but 4.5 GHz should suffice, so hopefully I can do that. Another option is the AMD FX-6100 Zambezi, which seems like another good option, 4.5GHz with the D14 will do. I am really confused as to which of the two I should get. 4 cores vs 6 cores, does it matter that much, as the X4 975 has more GHz, but they are the same price. Another option, is the Intel i5 that much better to spend the extra money on the MoBo and CPU? I like the fact that the AMD sockets are more universal so MoBos are more future proof. Well this is as far as I know, so please tell me more.

I'm in the process of building a new gaming computer, for Crysis 2 and stuff like that. Originally, I was going for an Intel i5 2500k, but after some research, AMD doesn't seem as bad as I am always told. Cheaper, so I can invest in the new Radeon HD 7970 video card, which will be about $550, and a great video card is the most important part of a gaming build. I believe that using AMD CPU's and GPU's together adds a performance boost. I'm thinking about the AMD Phenom II X4 975 with a Noctua D14, and I don't know how far I can overclock, but 4.5 GHz should suffice, so hopefully I can do that. Another option is the AMD FX-6100 Zambezi, which seems like another good option, 4.5GHz with the D14 will do. I am really confused as to which of the two I should get. 4 cores vs 6 cores, does it matter that much, as the X4 975 has more GHz, but they are the same price. Another option, is the Intel i5 that much better to spend the extra money on the MoBo and CPU? I like the fact that the AMD sockets are more universal so MoBos are more future proof. Well this is as far as I know, so please tell me more.

Same cooling for less: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207009

Intel processors are designed with overclocking in mind, AMDs aren't. For a real comparison of processing capabilities, look here... http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html (I5-2500K IS $220, and it outperforms the AMD FX-8120 8-core processor, and it's designed specifically for overclocking, can hit 4.5GHz on air cooling, AMDs can't go over 4GHz)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Intel processors are designed with overclocking in mind, AMDs aren't.

Well then, I will stick to the i5 2500k