First Person Shooters

Since when was CoD an EA franchise?

All of the IW team came from EA's Medal of Honor franchise.

that does as well on PC as it does on consoles

Not fiscally, nowhere near.

Oh and from what I've heard, IW left Activision over money, not because of any artistic reasons.

IW didn't leave Activision, the two creators of the Modern Warfare series did. The entire reason the twenty or so IW team members left EA was because they were sick of creating the same game over and over again, which is exactly what they're doing now.

It gives the franchise consistency imo

You can give consistency without releasing the same game once a year.

minus some features that I honestly can live without.

Do those features include waiting a month for DLC?

I couldn't agree more people are entitled to their opinion and there is nothing wrong with liking CoD, but we should stop arguing over it, Call of duty is one of those dangerous topics to talk about like Politics or Religion. Besides Call of Duty, Fallout, Battlefield.... None of those can compete with the manliest NES DUCK HUNT! Ya! ....or goldeneye

"Fat People Not Good"

And since shooting bows is a "video game genre that centers the gameplay on gun and projectile weapon-based combat through first-person perspective" and is therefore a FPS.

The Elder Scrolls don't center around shooting bows. You can shoot bows in RuneScape, is that a third-person-shooter now?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My definition is a game where you shoot stuff from the perspective of the main protagonist...

Well yes, but it has to be a game that's built around that. In Elder Scrolls, you can shoot things from first person, but Elder Scrolls is undeniably a role playing game. It's an FPRPG, if you want to be ridiculous about it.

Same for Portal. You can shoot portals from your gun, but it's certainly defined most often as a puzzle game. It's an FPPG, a first person puzzle game.

Well actually RPGs can be shooters, such as Fallout, but I'd say games without guns aren't exactly FPS like Elder Scrolls

"Fat People Not Good"

I wouldn't really say Fallout 3 and NV classify as FPS's alone. By your definition, sure, you're allowed to just run around and shoot things from a first person perspective. But it's got some RPG elements in there, along with also having the option of just running around with a big ass sword, or a ballistic fist or the like.

I don't really like people calling Bioshock a FPS/RPG hybrid actually, its a FPS with RPG elements. Big difference.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't really like people calling Bioshock a FPS/RPG hybrid actually, its a FPS with RPG elements. Big difference.

All a game has to do, to be an RPG is replace player skill with avatar skill. When I shoot someone in Fallout: NV the game will calculate whether my shot will hit or not hit depending on my guns skill, that's an RPG. When I frag someone in Quake DM that's not an RPG, because it was all my skill rather than the game calculating if I would kill him or not depending on whether my level was high enough. Nearly every modern RPG is a hybrid of multiple genres, only turn-based games can truly be RPGs, and only if they rely on D&D style mechanics because otherwise they do require a level of player skill.

Having "RPG elements" just means to give the player the feeling of progression to keep the player playing the game, note- this means the game still rests entirely on player skill, so games like Human Revolution and Fallout don't have RPG elements, they are RPG hybrids. You see these RPG elements in most modern multiplayer shooters like COD and BF in an attempt to keep the player playing long after they would have stopped from sheer boredom (it's late but I'll just unlock ooooone more gun, then I'll go to bed), it's just another lazy skinner-box technique designed to rake in DLC sales and keep servers alive rather than making the game fun and replayable.

But anyway, an FPS is just shooting from the perpective of the character you're controlling. No matter if it's an RPG, has "RPG elements" etc. etc.

Well, FPS/RPG hybrids still count since they are FPS's imo. I still don't count Deus Ex: Human Revolution as a RPG. To me it's a FPS with stealth elements and some very minor RPG elements.

I agree, it was too linear to be RPG, you were able to do some side missions along the way but an RPG requires much more, but still Deis Ex: Human revolution is a great game

"Fat People Not Good"

I agree, it was too linear to be RPG, you were able to do some side missions along the way but an RPG requires much more

What? I don't even...

I said what an RPG was above, I didn't think anyone would actually think being linear stopped it being an RPG. In that case all tabletop RPGs (the original RPGs) are no longer RPGs then, they had no side-quests or open worlds. They followed a linear narrative created by the players guided by the rulebook.

I know this is a conversation about FPS games but that was too silly to not reply to.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)