First Person Shooters

I never really played FPS much when I was younger until I got Dark Forces for PS1, which I never beat or got far in back then. I had Dark Forces II and Jedi Outcast on PC though, but I didn't get to play them as often so I shifted my view towards console stuff more. Eventually I got Halo and played that, was pretty fun. At some point I took a tour of all the old Call of Duty games on PS2 but got bored of them eventually. For the most part though, I never really played FPSs all that much until about 2009 when one of my friends from school told me I should get a Steam account and gifted me HL2. My computer at the time (a dinosaur from the late 90's) could barely run it, but from what I played I really liked it. But since I didn't have much of a gaming PC I didn't really do much with it, and left Steam for about a year. I started playing Halo 3 and the Orange Box on Xbox. Finally that PC broke and my family got a new laptop that could play games a lot better. I installed Steam, logged back into my old account and started playing HL2 all the way. I stopped buying FPSs on Xbox and started playing them on PC. I think my view has shifted, because now playing them on console feels wierd compared to a keyboard and mouse. What really intrigued me were the console commands and cheats, things you couldn't do on consoles. So I kept getting more Steam games, mostly FPSs, and I haven't stopped since. I think that about sums up my history with first person shooters.

TL;dr, I used to play FPS on console, then I played them on PC. Now I like FPS on PC more than console.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Personally what got me into FPS's was when I played Wolfenstein 3D, only about 4 years old, think it was in either 92 or 93. I was too young to really understand what was going on, but the image of holding a gun and walking around in a 3D environment stuck in my head for ages after that.

Since then I've played the hell out of Doom, especially the shareware version, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, SiN (which I played long before Half-Life and still prefer to it), Half-Life (of course) and Gunman Chronicles.

I actually didn't play Half-Life 2 and the episodes until I bought the Orange Box in 2007.

2011 I think was a great year for FPS's, with titles like Bullestorm, Hard Reset, Call of Duty MW3 and not to mention Duke Nukem Forever.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

My favorite FPSs:

System Shock 2

Deus Ex

Strife

Painkiller series (haven't played redemption)

Serious Sam series (haven't played 3 yet)

Unreal Tournament 2004

SiN series

Half-Life (though doing the videos may have taken some of the fun out of it)

I also think Unreal had fantastic music and atmosphere, but I found the gameplay pretty so-so

FPSs I plan on playing:

System Shock with mouse aiming mod

Realms of The Haunting

CyberMage: Darklight Awakening

After I upgrade my videocard:

Bulletstorm

Crysis

Singularity

Hard Reset

The Ball

(haven't played redemption)

Don't do it, it's baaaad.

System Shock with mouse aiming mod

Same here, much the same as my reaction to Half Life 2 I played SS2 and enjoyed it so much that I wanted to play it's predecessor.

---

Semi on topic, I just bought a new copy of SS2 for under $400. Woohoo!

scaled.php?server=72&filename=capture2uq.png&res=medium

Favorites: Serious Sam series except for The First Encounter (Because fuck that one) and SS2 (Because it only became available on Steam today)

Half-Life 2

Half-Life 1

Pretty much all Not-Portal Valve games

Borderlands (Until 2 comes out)

Honorable Mention: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, because its actual shooting is pretty meh but the overall experience is still far above whatever standards the industry has for games involving shooting. Also Duke Nukem Forever which, despite me enjoying immensely, sadly did not make the list because I enjoyed it despite its flaws; not because of its amazing design.

I love you, yet can't stand to know you exist.

Halo (I wasn't too keen on Halo 3: ODST despite its moments), Call of Duties 2-MW2.

And of course: Half-Life 2. It's still my favorite game of all time. You thought that they couldn't make an FPS atmospheric and engaging? YOU THOUGHT WRONG.

But that's generally true of FPSes; aside from Half-Life 2, the only atmospheric parts in an FPS are Halo 1's 343 Guilty Spark level and "All Ghilled Up" from Call of Duty 4. Sometimes even to this day, I go down to the basement, pop in COD4, turn up the volume really loud, and just get lost in that level.

You thought that they couldn't make an FPS atmospheric and engaging?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: All of them

Metro 2033

Crysis- Alien ship level

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Deus Ex

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

CBawCe6du3w

Im still waiting for a FPS like that, even a source mod would be enough for me :P

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"