Dishonored

Sign in to follow this  

I was surprised not to see a thread about this game yet(I ctrl-F-ed my way through a couple of pages in this section and also used the search function but didn't find anything, if there already is a thread, blame the forum, not me...so many commas :o).

So this trailer just came out and it looks pretty darn interesting. I love the way those people on stilts look.

E1HlYTukh9A

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can't wait for this game, I'm avoiding every dev interview and trailer though. I already know I'm buying the game and I don't want to know half the things about it by the time it comes out like I did with Skyrim. That really ruined the experience for me.

2012 seems to be shaping up to be pretty badass- an immersive sim game, kickstarter projects allowing great PC genres to be revived, one of the only good console exclusives making it's way over to PC, PC exclusive games from big names like Crytek and Epic, brilliant MMOs like GW2, Tera and World of Darkness (so hyped for this game, anything like VTM-B is an insta-purchase for me) finally breaking WoW MMO formula, F2P games like Tribes, Firefall and Super MNC coming out. All that needs to happen is for a few good RTSs to come out (hint: COH2(!!!) and a new Homeworld game(!!!) are rumoured to be coming from Relic soon) for this year to be as good as 1998.

I recall reading a preview in PC Gamer UK which mentioned that some of the artists/designers working on this also worked on Half-life 2. Will definitely be interesting to see how things turn out.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Yep, pretty much.

Actually not at all.

It's more like Deus Ex mixed with Half Life.

I recall reading a preview in PC Gamer UK which mentioned that some of the artists/designers working on this also worked on Half-life 2. Will definitely be interesting to see how things turn out.

It's the lead artist, Victor Antonov (I think that's how you spell the name), they also have the lead designer for the original Deus Ex working as the lead designer for this project

System Shock? Thief?

It's an immersive sim so comparisons to games such as Bioshock or AC are kind of useless unless you're talking about art style or atmosphere (which is how HL relates). Immersive sims are by far my favourite genre by far, yet there are only 30 or so in existence and they're mostly all quite old.

The devs recent game Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was quite close to being an immersive sim and it's the only reason I will definitely pre-order this game without looking at any news, I would have been wary with any other dev, as Looking Glass Studios (basically the creator of the genre) were one of the few that could do it brilliantly, funnily enough the only other brilliant ones (Arx Fatalis and Deus Ex) were made in conjunction with designers from Looking Glass. Too bad they shut down in 2000.

I was indeed talking about art style and atmosphere, even though some of the gameplay does look a little Assassin's Creed-ish. I looked up Deus Ex a little more, and yes I agree, it does seem quite a bit like Dishonored. Except that Dishonored is set in some weird mashup future in which people seem to enjoy colonial architecture and fashion. And also crazy bipod robot legs.

I'd watched a video of this game before (some developer interview with game footage), but I've now finally watched the trailer that was posted above, which was pretty damn awesome. I just hope in-game footage and gameplay can live up to the video.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think comparing this game to others as though it is 'like' them will help. It looks fairly 'unique', and it looks like it has oodles of atmosphere.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I think it looks like it has this odd mix of Half Life 2 kind of futuristic style mixed a Bioshocky steampunckness. To me that sounds pretty darn awesome.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What the hell, I just looked at the trailer.

It's just CGI, there's no gameplay whatsoever in it. If you want to know about the actual gameplay check out the Dishonored cover GI did a few months ago, all those YT commentators have no idea what they're talking about. It is in no way focused on free-running like AC or Mirror's Edge.

Urgh, it's a CGI trailer. You can't expect it to tell anything specific about the gameplay. It can, but it usually doesn't and it's not the purpose of a CGI trailer either.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well the gameplay elements they showed with the first person parts make me anticipate it more. Seriously, that deflecting the bullets back thing was pretty awesome.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."