Portal 2: Map Sharing

Sign in to follow this  

I'm creating this topic so that all the Accursed Farmers can share maps made with the Perpetual Testing Initiative map maker. Or any custom Portal 2 maps, if you're too fancy for the basic one.

I just wanted to get some exposure and hopefully some feedback for my maps, and I invite you all to do the same. Just two so far, but I will take into account any helpful criticism into future maps.

Amateur Aperture

Amateur Aperture 02

Also, since I made the maps, I knew the solution from the start, so I don't know how easy/hard they are.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

I've originally had mine set to Friends Only, but I'll make a few public for fun. None of the ones I have made are complex, they're short and fairly simple. And I'll play the others posted here in a bit!

Bisection

Burglary Scenario A

The Slight Drop

EDIT:

First for scott155:

For Amateur Aperture there are a few spelling mistakes in the description (someon to someone, migh to might, somethig to something). :P

As for the chamber itself...

It became easy when I realised that the portalable surface needed to get past the turret was not a frosted glass window (the really bright illumination made me think it was one, and I was unable to get close enough to see otherwise due to the turret :P ). Other than that it was fine so I gave it a good rating. :)

For the second one...

This may be just my opinion here, but traps that kill the player are fine, but traps that trap the player with no apparent way out are not so good. With the light bridge at the beginning, if you've not created an initial portal before you jump down, you're screwed. The only way out of that pit is to reload a save.

For the final part where you have to grab the cube as you jump across, if you fail to catch it you're screwed. There's no way to jump back to the other side. (any jumping gel on the other side simply doesn't give enough bounce to make it across. It took me a few attempts (and the bounce gel was not needed to get across, although it was possible), and I had to reload my save each time I missed. I didn't give this puzzle a rating because it had some good elements, but there were enough bad elements that I didn't feel it justified rating it up.

Next Edit will be for Eedo Baba's maps.

EDIT2:

First up, Laser-Cube Conundrum

Was I supposed to do this in this room?

70968A3C9D77E5E364DACCB00185B328955C13EF

C2858FB34233F0F46CE4A48BC34A156174034AEC

Not knowing what is triggering what was initially a nightmare. Then I noticed the upper floor (I'd only been dealing with the ground floor and the floor below). >

Also there are two buttons in the 'main' room that appear to deactivate some of the beam emitters. Other than that they appear to serve no other purpose.

Fairly tricky, although there was no need to save often. :P

I gave it a good rating.

For the second, Think Outside The Cube...

I quite liked this one, I had no issues with it at all. I particularly liked how you couldn't get close to the cube for the room on the right, you had to move it along from a distance with the buttons.

I gave it a good rating!

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I fixed the spelling in the first test chamber and addressed all your complaints on the second. The lights on the first were meant to draw the players attention upwards, but seemed to have the opposite effect, so I might change that soon.

For the second map, the changes are:

1.A laser field in the pit, deactivated by pushing the three buttons.

2.An Arial Faith Plate in a pit next to the original, in case you don't have any portals when you fall down there after the lasers are deactivated.

3.The turret room has been redesigned. Turrets are a bit more of a threat (but still easy to get past), bounce gel is gone, and there is a way to get back to the box if you miss it the first time.

Let me know if I overlooked anything or made any new errors. I will also be playing and reviewing your maps soon!

EDIT:

A Slight Drop:

This was a fun little test that I enjoyed. It was pretty easy, but at least difficult enough to where iI felt I accomplished something. I gave this one a good rating.

Bisection:

This was very brief. I feel like this would be a good beginning room to a larger test chamber, but not by itself.

Burglary Scenario A:

Would not load for some reason, so I'll try that one again later.

Laser-Cube Conundrum:

It's a bit confusing not having the buttons show what they connect to, but other than that it was a good test chamber.

I'll let you know when I've played Think Outside The Cube and Burglary Scenario A.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Though I haven't had much of a chance to work on levels due to college preparations, I've made one level and am in the process of making a second one. It's quite enjoyable to use some of the ideas I came up with when playing Portal before, but integrating them all into a level can be interestingly challenging.

The one I currently have released is this. I've only gotten two or three people to give their thoughts on my design, so anyone who wants to give it a go, I'd appreciate any thoughts. It's relatively simple, based on a couple of initial concepts I had the moment the editor was released. The level I'm working on right now will be somewhat more complex.

Just realized there's no mashy-spike-plates. I mean, I can only complain so much about a free DLC that adds infinite playtime, but it would be a cool thing to have.

Bisection actually was originally part of a larger map (a sequence of individual puzzles), but it ran so slowly (lasers REALLY drained the performance) that I split it up in to several different ones.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Burglary Scenario A was very short and easy, but nothing wrong with it.

Think Outside the Cube was fun as well and had some clever test elements.

I also made a new map, Testing Complex. It's more or less a few simple tests in sequence.

If anyone wants to try it out, I just finished the product of about a weeks development, a maze-based map

I don't know if the concept is a good idea or not, but who knows. Let me know what you think if you play it.

My prayers have been answered. Someone modded the editor to have MASHY-SPIKE-PLATES!!!! And a bunch of other cool stuff. It should be released toward's the end of the month. (Though apparently he said that last month too.)

YnMSIf5rJD8