Journey Review

Sign in to follow this  

journey-game-screenshot-1-b.jpg

Journey

The reason why I love this game is very difficult to explain, but I will give it my best.

You start out in a desert with a mountain in the distance, it is clear that this mountain is your destination, why? That is up to you as there is no story per say in the game.

As you travel you see many different places, including a gigantic expansive desert, old ruins and ancient catacombs, all of which have their own feel.

You may also find other people as you travel, others who like yourself are on a journey, for you see this game has 100% smoothly integrated multiplayer, in other words, you won't get a large flashy message saying "XXX HAS JOINED YOUR GAME!" or any loading screens, you simply see someone else in your world (or are you in their world? No body knows).

Now then, let's get into the more technical parts of this review.

Graphics

Wow, just... wow... I'm usually not too fond of the realism of most modern games, but the graphics of Journey still has me awestruck.

When you travel you will see the grains of sand as you walk, and the general look of this world is amazingly beautiful in my eyes.

The way every new area looks different and varied is also a good thing.

7023909203_29a73d3b47_c-610x400.jpg

journey-20100617072956515.jpg

journey-20120216101104119-3603277_640w.jpg

Sound

The soundtrack to Journey is, simply, amazing in my opinion, the music is emotional, mood setting and very nice to listen to in itself.

BgASRvG1pws

ceVqDMLD4Ek

Gameplay

The gameplay is simple, all your controls are moving with the thumbstick, jump with X and using your call with square (or was it circle? I never remember the layout of the playstation controller).

As i said before, the multiplayer aspect of the game is completely seamless, and you don’t have any way to directly communicate with the one you're traveling with, though for some reason that adds to the experience in my opinion.

That about sums it up, I realize that on paper it sounds boring, but for some reason this game really stands out to me, the feeling of traveling alone actually makes the world feel big and scary, and seeing someone else in the world feels... indescribable, you feel... safe... knowing someone else is there with you.

The game doesn't take long to play through, maybe an hour or two tops, but that hour feels more fulfilling to me then the 100 hours I've played of Skyrim.

I HIGHLY recommend checking this game out if you have a PS3.

--Thad out

Yeah, this is one of those PS3 exclusives that I'm actually pretty bummed to be missing out on. I didn't think it would be that short though, but I guess its simple gameplay couldn't sustain a much longer adventure. What's it priced at? Is it reasonable considering the short length?

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Nice review! I'm not surprised by the relatively short length of the game, since it reminds me a lot of Flower, which was another short but amazing game.

I guess I'll throw in my own opinion that Journey is indeed one of the most beautiful and moving games I've played in years.

Spoilers of the ending:

The very ending, climbing up the windy mountain slopes with my loyal partner was crazy. The wind kept trying to blow us apart from each other, but we kept finding each other again. Then suddenly the other guy falls down dead. I stick around for a few seconds and make some chirping noises at him. I give up and go on, only to fall down dead too. Then suddenly the ending scene happens and we're both soaring up to the mountain. We both walk into the mountain canyon all slow and it fades to white. Definitely one of my favorite endings ever.

Nice review! I'm not surprised by the relatively short length of the game, since it reminds me a lot of Flower, which was another short but amazing game.

Those two games are made by the same company actually, That Game Company.

I guess I'll throw in my own opinion that Journey is indeed one of the most beautiful and moving games I've played in years.

Spoilers of the ending:

The very ending, climbing up the windy mountain slopes with my loyal partner was crazy. The wind kept trying to blow us apart from each other, but we kept finding each other again. Then suddenly the other guy falls down dead. I stick around for a few seconds and make some chirping noises at him. I give up and go on, only to fall down dead too. Then suddenly the ending scene happens and we're both soaring up to the mountain. We both walk into the mountain canyon all slow and it fades to white. Definitely one of my favorite endings ever.

Yeah, the ending is one of the most moving experiences I have ever been through, and yet it's the most imposible to describe for me personally.