VLC videos stuttering and lagging

Sign in to follow this  

When Im watching videos (family guy dvd) on VLC, it starts stuttering at complete random. (sounds like a robot voice and it slows down). Ive tried enabling GPU accelerated decoding but no luck.

Any help ?

"Life sucks sober!"

Is it only with the family guy DVD (could be a damaged disk), or does it do that with all videos? Is it fine with movies stored on your hard drive, or does it only act up with optical media? If it only does it with DVDs, it's possible something is funky with your optical drive or that VLC isn't properly decoding the DVD (if you can, try other DVD player software to test this). I might not be remembering this correctly, but I think with the last major revision of VLC, the developers changed the way the program handles DVDs. You could try using an older version, such as 1.1.x, and see if it gives you the same problems. You can also try making a copy of the DVD and seeing how VLC handles it when it's stored on your hard drive.

I doubt it's your computer's ability to handle the video format on DVDs. If it can't playback simple MPEG2 video, it's probably overdue for some upgrades lol.

Is it only with the family guy DVD (could be a damaged disk), or does it do that with all videos? Is it fine with movies stored on your hard drive, or does it only act up with optical media? If it only does it with DVDs, it's possible something is funky with your optical drive or that VLC isn't properly decoding the DVD (if you can, try other DVD player software to test this). I might not be remembering this correctly, but I think with the last major revision of VLC, the developers changed the way the program handles DVDs. You could try using an older version, such as 1.1.x, and see if it gives you the same problems. You can also try making a copy of the DVD and seeing how VLC handles it when it's stored on your hard drive.

I doubt it's your computer's ability to handle the video format on DVDs. If it can't playback simple MPEG2 video, it's probably overdue for some upgrades lol.

All dvds (and videos that Ive downloaded)

(and now it seem to be random lagging no matter what I do..)

My specs should be enough to handle the things that I do on this thing..

"Life sucks sober!"

What about the rest of your computer? Is it suffering lags as well? Have you tried other media players to see how they handle the videos? I'd guess that your install of VLC is corrupt and a simple uninstall then reinstall might fix the issue. Also, have you updated anything else since this started happening, such as drivers or the OS?

What about the rest of your computer? Is it suffering lags as well? Have you tried other media players to see how they handle the videos? I'd guess that your install of VLC is corrupt and a simple uninstall then reinstall might fix the issue. Also, have you updated anything else since this started happening, such as drivers or the OS?

I have recieved no updates. Ive tried other media players, not working. No reinstall has helped.

Whatever Im doing it just randomly lags from time to time...

"Life sucks sober!"

Your whole computer? Sounds like you might have an infection or maybe somewhere something else became corrupt.

Your whole computer? Sounds like you might have an infection or maybe somewhere something else became corrupt.

Aye. I should let someone look at it. (its been doing this since I first started it).

"Life sucks sober!"

You might want to check your CPU and GPU temps... Stuttering in videos can be caused by overheating.

Also, get rid of VLC and get K-Lite Codec Pack. Install it with the player (Media Player Classic - Home Cinema) and it's way better than VLC.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

You might want to check your CPU and GPU temps... Stuttering in videos can be caused by overheating.

Also, get rid of VLC and get K-Lite Codec Pack. Install it with the player (Media Player Classic - Home Cinema) and it's way better than VLC.

Temps are around 45 when Im playing videos, so I dont think thats the problem. Im gonna call dell support tomorrow and see if they have any idea.

"Life sucks sober!"

45c for both? Unless you're using a laptop that's unusual... (desktops usually have a bit higher temps for the GPU than the processor)

If you don't get any help from Dell (like happened to me when my system was overheating) let me know.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

45c for both? Unless you're using a laptop that's unusual... (desktops usually have a bit higher temps for the GPU than the processor)

If you don't get any help from Dell (like happened to me when my system was overheating) let me know.

Yeah for both, using a laptop.

Ill make sure to check back with you when Ive spoken to them, thanks :)

"Life sucks sober!"

(DOUBLEPOSTINCOMING)

I restarted my wifi card, and the lagging stopped. I have no idea how this solved anything, but it did.

Thanks for the helps and tips everyone. :)

Please lock the threads, mods.

"Life sucks sober!"