Egypt

Sign in to follow this  

The Egyptian government that was led by dictator Hosni Mubarak since the 1970's, was overthrown in 2011 due to mass protests against his regime due to obvious reasons (but for those who don't know, the reasons were a poor economy and the repression of freedom). A new government was put up in 2012, this time led by democratically elected president, Mohammad Morsi. However, Morsi acted little better, suspending the new Egyptian Constitution, and started oppression anew. Clashes between pro-Morsi supporters and anti-Morsi protesters flared up, resulting in fierce riots between the two groups. Morsi was eventually overthrown by a military coup in July of 2013. The Army, however, is heading into the other extreme direction, arresting and/or killing remaining Morsi supporters, and outlawing the Muslim Brotherhood. Extactly who is in charge is up for debate as the violence across Egypt spreads. For now, we must wait and see what the future holds for Egypt.

Can't help but be on the military's side... They actually have a very good reason for overthrowing the government, and for doing what they're doing. I just hope they know how to relinquish control after they cleanse the filth.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I'm on your side, but it seems the Muslim Brotherhood is determined to take control of the country in a bloody battle. I heard on the news they're going to attack military bases (looks like a lot of "martyrs" will be made tomorrow).

Egyptian military issuing a State of Emergency and curfews. Clashes by both the military and Muslim Brotherhood resulted in 500 dead. Christians are being killed, and Christian churches are being burned down. Situation currently out of control.

Egyptian military should ask Israel for help...

I'd be surprised if Israel wasn't breathing a sigh of relief right now. Two of their most dangerous adversaries (Egypt and Syria) are fighting against themselves, a third (Palestine) are cooperating in peace talks, and the fourth (Iran) is in direct conflict with the Western world.

Egypt was only an enemy because of the Muslim regime that used to be in control... From what I've heard about the military's standpoint, they'd rather be an ally. (same reason for Syria being an enemy, the Muslim regime)

Palestine has recently realized that it truly is possible to walk through Israel controlled territory to go to see the Rock, and not be smote by Allah... Took them long enough...

Iran is useless politically... They should be overthrown and added on to Iraq. (and Kuwait)

Iran is useless politically... They should be overthrown and added on to Iraq. (and Kuwait)

According to the US public, that's the last thing they want ("we don't want another war").

So? Since when did the public know what the best course of action is? We can't even get the public to look at a presidential candidate's history to see that every word out of his mouth about his history is a lie...

So? Since when did the public know what the best course of action is? We can't even get the public to look at a presidential candidate's history to see that every word out of his mouth about his history is a lie...

I never said they did know the best course of action (hence the loss of Iraq and Afghanistan). I was simply stating their opinion, wrong or not.

And I asked "so?" without getting an answer. What is your point in relaying the opinion of the public? (I also know what their opinions are)

What is your point in relaying the opinion of the public? (I also know what their opinions are)

To tell everyone else.

If we listened to the public majority, we'd still be a British colony. And have slavery.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

That we would... Unfortunately in this case, the majority is just the vocal few... (from what I've been able to find in statistics, less than 15% of voters) Problem is that people don't vote anymore because voting doesn't seem to affect anything anymore.

If we listened to the public majority, we'd still be a British colony.

Which wouldn't have been a bad thing, actually :-)

And have slavery.

This I would seriously doubt. The British anti-slavery movement was in full swing and become a government policy long before the US Civil War and the 13th Amendment.

Regards

If we listened to the public majority, we'd still be a British colony.

Which wouldn't have been a bad thing, actually :-)

You would want to pay $6000 for a $600 laptop then? How about you send me the extra $5400, (they were taxing something like 95-150% of income when we were still a colony, it all depended on how well liked you were by the tax guy) let soldiers kick you out of your house so they can live in it with your things, and we'll call you a colonist...

I think we've gone off topic here... Back to Egypt...

Looks like the Brotherhood has been mauled (most protesters died in the fights with the military, and top Brotherhood personnel were arrested), but it seems they wish to keep fighting, and will probably start arming their members pretty soon in order to continue their struggle.

At least the military are staying on top of things.