Any photographers out there?

Sign in to follow this  

Hi people.

I wanted to know if some of you are photographers (It doesn't matter if you're an amateur or a pro) so we can discuss a bit about photography, equipment, technique etc etc etc...I'm a real n00b in photography, I know the basics and I can handle composition pretty well but I haven't had a nice camera to experiment with, just a compact budget Lumix. I'm about to buy a Bridge, after long research I think this one is for me : Fujifilm FinePix HS10.The nice things about this camera are the manual zoom and focus lens, it has a pretty DSLR feeling and it shoots .raw images, 1080p video and some interesting features you can see in the technical specs.

My main goal is to get a camera to learn photography as it is and will ive me a decent Image Quality because when my skills grow up, I want to get in some contests...

The other cameras that I've considered are :

Canon G12 (Excellent camera, really flawless. IQ (Image quality for short) is like a DSLR, external controls are awesome, you can control aperture and ISO sensivity straight from a couple of wheels. The problem is it is very expensive and I can't afford it plus it doesn't have the zoom capability I'm looking for plus it doesn't have a precise viewfinder.

Canon SX30 IS : My main alternative, lens are really well made, zoom is fairly superior (x35). Lens aperture is a bit superior to the Fuji HS10. It is a canon period. The flaws are that it sports a CCD sensor and a maximum ISO sensivity of 1600 (VS Fuji HS10's 6400). Image quality is nos as good as G12 for it's smaller sensor.

Panasonic FZ100: This camera seems awesome on paper but the lens SUCKS. the chromatic aberration is HUUGE. Definetely a camera to stay away of.

Fujifilm S200 EXR This one still has the manual barrel lens that I really like, it's sensor is bigger but it's CCD so it's slow and not that good in low light. It only records movies in 480p and zoom is of 12.4x so... not bad for a super zoom but it's definetely a loss from SX30 IS's 35x or or Fuji's HS10 30x.

What do you guys think?

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Have you seen this video about the HS10?

apparently the picture quality isn't too hot

http://cnettv.cnet.com/fuji-finepix-hs10/9742-1_53-50088110.html

there is a little review of it to the left of the vid that ill just paste here

Fujifilm FinePix HS10

The good: Great feature set; excellent dSLR-like controls.

The bad: Poor photo quality above ISO 400; mixed shooting performance.

The bottom line: Fujifilm's FinePix HS10 has the look, feel, and controls of a dSLR, with the photos and shooting performance of a common point-and-shoot

Have you seen this video about the HS10?

apparently the picture quality isn't too hot

http://cnettv.cnet.com/fuji-finepix-hs10/9742-1_53-50088110.html

there is a little review of it to the left of the vid that ill just paste here

Fujifilm FinePix HS10

The good: Great feature set; excellent dSLR-like controls.

The bad: Poor photo quality above ISO 400; mixed shooting performance.

The bottom line: Fujifilm's FinePix HS10 has the look, feel, and controls of a dSLR, with the photos and shooting performance of a common point-and-shoot

No, I hadn't seen that one but I have pretty clear that it's IQ is not stellar... But I've seen some pictures taken with it and it's not that bad, It looks beyond the standard pointnshoot but not close to a Rebel XSi for example... I want a camera to learn about photography and eventually take the plunge and get a DSLR because I can't afford one or the lenses right now, I will in some years . Do you have a better suggestion?

The thing I love the most about this camera is the manual lens..

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs