Steam, Tracks, Trouble & Riddles: Chapter One

http://www.moddb.com/mods/steam-tracks-trouble-riddles/downloads

I play the voice of the main robot (after being run through a synthesized filter). I wasn't involved with the dialogue or design of this, I was just a voice actor for hire, with Peter directing me on the tone he was after for the lines. I'm embarrassed I haven't had a chance to play the mod myself since I've been busy churning out my own content (next FM coming before too long!), but I can say that the creator has put a ton of effort into this, so if you like puzzles and free games, I can't think of a reason not to check it out.

LINK TO FORUM COMMENTS

http://www.moddb.com/mods/steam-tracks-trouble-riddles/downloads

I play the voice of the main robot (after being run through a synthesized filter). I wasn't involved with the dialogue or design of this, I was just a voice actor for hire, with Peter directing me on the tone he was after for the lines. I'm embarrassed I haven't had a chance to play the mod myself since I've been busy churning out my own content (next FM coming before too long!), but I can say that the creator has put a ton of effort into this, so if you like puzzles and free games, I can't think of a reason not to check it out.

LINK TO FORUM COMMENTS

Downloading right after Crylife (It's supposed to be an awesome mod) finishes.

Edit: For those that want to play this, but don't have Half Life, for some reason, you're in luck. the Valve complete pack (http://store.steampowered.com/sub/29197/) is $121 dollars off today, and Episode 2 is $1.99.

Yeah, turn on all the mushrooms; I don't care about the power bill.

Just played the whole thing. It was great! Compelling visuals and an overall really good mod. Honestly, you should do more voice acting. You are great at it. I just loved hearing the weirdly pitch modified version of your voice come out of the robot's mouth.

Favorite quote:

Oh...the locksmith confused centimeters with meters.

Also:

The ending was a bit sad. WHY CAN'T I PUT YOU BACK TOGETHER, ROBOT THING?

Anyway, awesome thing to be involved with.

@kingcolton9 Crylife is pretty awesome, esp. the prison chapter. However, If you don't have all the games that they mentioned, it doesn't work very well (in particular, you need counter strike). I found that when you didn't have one of the games, even with the correct config to match the games you do have, it is buggy and crashes a ton. Nevertheless, that was pre steampipe update, so it may have changed once they moved it over.

--

techdude

Just played the whole thing. It was great! Compelling visuals and an overall really good mod. Honestly, you should do more voice acting. You are great at it. I just loved hearing the weirdly pitch modified version of your voice come out of the robot's mouth.

Favorite quote:

Oh...the locksmith confused centimeters with meters.

Also:

The ending was a bit sad. WHY CAN'T I PUT YOU BACK TOGETHER, ROBOT THING?

Anyway, awesome thing to be involved with.

@kingcolton9 Crylife is pretty awesome, esp. the prison chapter. However, If you don't have all the games that they mentioned, it doesn't work very well (in particular, you need counter strike). I found that when you didn't have one of the games, even with the correct config to match the games you do have, it is buggy and crashes a ton. Nevertheless, that was pre steampipe update, so it may have changed once they moved it over.

--

techdude

I got the Valve Complete pack, so I have all the games. I think the last update to it was a patch in march, so it's probably more stable.

OK, I have no experience with mods. I have the Half-Life Complete pack and I'm using a 2011 MacBook Pro using 10.6.8. Can someone walk me through setting this up and playing it?

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite site on the extranet.

OK, I have no experience with mods. I have the Half-Life Complete pack and I'm using a 2011 MacBook Pro using 10.6.8. Can someone walk me through setting this up and playing it?

The process should be the same as on windows:

From the included PDF file:

Exit Steam

2 Extract the file named STTR_Ch1_V1_01.rar and paste it into your sourcemod folder.

3 You will find this folder under your Steam installation, e.g.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods ( /Users/(Your User Name)/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/sourcemods for Macs)

4 Restart Steam

5 You will find the mod in your library under Games, named S.T.T. & R. Just press play.

6 Have fun and solve all the riddles

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Instead of Program Files (x86), on a Mac it should be:

/Users/(Your User Name)/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/sourcemods

Well, time for me to reinstall HL2...

Sign in Tip-Top Variety store window reads, 'Bitch-Slapped-By-The-Invisible-Hand-Of-The-Marketplace Sale'.

It's a shame this won't work with the linux client :(.

"It's not about changing the world. It's about doing our best to leave the world... the way it is. It's about respecting the will of others, and believing in your own."

OK, I've found the folder, but placing the .rar file in and starting up Steam does reveal the game. How do I 'extract' it?

Instead of Program Files (x86), on a Mac it should be:

/Users/(Your User Name)/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/sourcemods

Well, time for me to reinstall HL2...

Thanks, I couldn't remember the filepath for macs.

The developer told me he's getting more feedback on the bugs and is looking into it. Feel free to post any technical stuff here (or on moddb if it lets you), I'm sure he'll take a look at it.

Yeah, I'm just not into puzzle games... Otherwise, I'd play it.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

OK, I've found the folder, but placing the .rar file in and starting up Steam does reveal the game. How do I 'extract' it?

It's free (Winrar for Windows, Mac, Linux FreeBSD and Android: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm). I haven't got the game setup, but I have downloaded it. I assume you extract it to a folder of the same name.

Okay, since in this thread people seem more confused than I am (which is an achievement), here's a quick tutorial, at least for Windows:

1. Download the RAR file.

2. If you haven't got a program to unpack it already, download and install 7-Zip.

3. Find the RAR file and unpack it.

4. Now, find where you installed Steam. Usually it'll be in C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86), but I installed it under C:\Games.

5. From there, go to the path: \Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods.

6. Copy the STTR_CH1_V1_01 folder and paste it there. You MAY need administrator rights depending on your OS.

7. Restart Steam and it should appear in your list.

8. (Optional) Right-click the mod, click Properties, go to Launch Options and add -autoconfig to have the game automatically adjust your video settings. I also like to add -windowed in there.

Hopefully that ought to do it. Now excuse me while I go pass out on my bed for another hour....

I forget things a lot and I like chumtoads.

It's free (Winrar for Windows, Mac, Linux FreeBSD and Android: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm). I haven't got the game setup, but I have downloaded it. I assume you extract it to a folder of the same name.

When I downloaded it, all I got was a folder (entitled 'rar') containing some scripts.

Is the picture I attached how the inside of that folder is supposed to look?

82606064_Screenshot2014-09-26at1_48_16PM.thumb.jpg.80ba0ed5294f305995b9850b7556f3f5.jpg

When I downloaded it, all I got was a folder (entitled 'rar') containing some scripts.

Is the picture I attached how the inside of that folder is supposed to look?

AFAIK, winrar on mac is command only, but a GUI can be found here (http://www.unrarx.com/). Install the GUI, and when you open the mod's RAR file you should see something similar to this:

Winrar.PNG.731cdce0fda1a199918ee2c22fb89572.PNG

I fired it up and there is no sound during the intro, nor can I hear Ross' character's voice. Environmental sounds (picking stuff up, walking, etc.) work.