About those Beta demos...

Sign in to follow this  

Alpha would be the better word. Anyways, I packaged both the games I've been working on, The CryENGINE one and the Unity one. The CryEngine game is really buggy due to all the duct tape used to hold it together so there's a readme file explaining a few things. (I just hope it even works on computers not my own) Remember, this was YOUR guys' idea, not mine. :P

The Unity game is pretty solid, but still has a few bugs I plan to fix later.

CryEngine: https://mega.co.nz/#!gksHTbqJ!P9v_McY5rtGPsoayJiNBsPIeAIpL0yPrmWNI7dalyOI

Unity: https://mega.co.nz/#!Q1cx3JbB!D_JzZZ9Rt2Gv0yevMwixEVD9YE8wyALK61Jcv5lNV24

The Cryengine game is about 2 gigs, just a fair warning. It's really kinda dumb it's that large considering how little there is right now but not much I could do about it. :S

Issues with the cryengine game so far:

-If you die, reloading screws up the AI behaviors so you have to manually leave and restart the level from the main menu. I'm looking into this right now but keep that in mind. Checkpoints do the same thing so I had to remove those as well. :S

-Hit f1 to laugh. And to break everything until hit again. But mostly to laugh.

Torrent upload for the cryengine game soon.

Retired Forum Moderator

About the unity game, you might want to make the placement of the mirrors either snap to the ground grid, or be placed within a certain range at a variable location based on mouse clicking. Or at least make the placement distance an exact floor tile distance instead of somewhere between half and 3/4 the length of a floor tile.

Other than that, and the fact that it took me a few seconds to realize that the mirror on the tank wasn't something that could be dropped, and that it could still pick up mirrors, it has a very fun feel to it. (a lot like the laser mazes in Portal 2)

Waiting on the download of the CryEngine one now. Oh, and just as an FYI for others that are going to download the CryEngine game, Mega requires an addon to be installed (at least it does for Firefox) to download anything over 1GB, and this is 1.92GB. (fortunately, the download speeds are amazingly fast for a free hosting site)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

About the unity game, you might want to make the placement of the mirrors either snap to the ground grid, or be placed within a certain range at a variable location based on mouse clicking. Or at least make the placement distance an exact floor tile distance instead of somewhere between half and 3/4 the length of a floor tile.

Other than that, and the fact that it took me a few seconds to realize that the mirror on the tank wasn't something that could be dropped, and that it could still pick up mirrors, it has a very fun feel to it. (a lot like the laser mazes in Portal 2)

Waiting on the download of the CryEngine one now.

I have been considering the drop at mouse click location actually. It's a longer term goal; the way it is now was making sure it works correctly in placement. As for the mirror on the tank not being droppable, honestly you're the first person to actually have an issue with it. :P The actual character model is still in creation so it'll hopefully make a little more sense when that's in and working.

Long term goal when all the visual and mechanic assets are complete, I plan on having tutorial levels. Currently this is a sort of "showcase" level designed to show off as much of what the game can do as possible. A level like this would normally appear later on in the game.

Retired Forum Moderator

Well it's quite fun, if you get a lot more levels, and possibly several much more complex ones, it will be a very good game.

If you need any texture assets, (unmapped textures, essentially just well optimized images) I might be able to assist.

I actually hadn't talked about that one much, it's just as I was uploading the cryengine game, I figured that the unity one is so small that I may as well include that and get some feedback.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really think I'm gonna be taking the cryengine game anywhere after I graduate. It's flaws run deeper than what I currently have control of and to do it properly I'd have to basically start from scratch. I'm basically considering this a learning experience game. I'm gonna save everything I have but after I graduate I might do a clean install of CryEngine and just start really learning how to use everything in it even on a coding level so I can actually fully control what I'm working with.

The Unity game however I do plan on making something out of in the long run. It's got a lot of possibilities in what I can do with it and it's a much more original idea than the Cryengine one lol. I know a few people who don't like the game because it's "too simple" but I've gotten equal, if not more, people saying they liked it.

As for the textures, I can't promise I'd use them but spare texture assets are always a plus. Unmapped isn't really a problem.

Retired Forum Moderator

I don't have time to download the Cryengine game but I just tried the laser one. The mirrors are really fiddly to place but other than that I didn't have any problems with it. I'll make another post about it when I can actually think without British and Australian accents yapping in my ears.

Just tried the CryEngine game... No strafing, game crashed when I died, and no idea where I'm supposed to be heading. Other than that, it's an interesting looking design.

game crashed when I died

I was afraid that was gonna happen. Like I said it's basically running an scotch tape and well wishes and problems seem to come and go without me even doing anything. This is all part of the reason why I really don't plan on continuing it after I graduate.

Retired Forum Moderator

I also noticed that it doesn't matter what graphics settings you use as long as it isn't Very High... All below VH are identical framerates. VH has many visual artifacts, and bugs... Like crashing when dying. (it doesn't crash on lower graphics settings)

I also noticed that it doesn't matter what graphics settings you use as long as it isn't Very High... All below VH are identical framerates. VH has many visual artifacts, and bugs... Like crashing when dying. (it doesn't crash on lower graphics settings)

From what I could find on google, that seems to be a very common bug on the very high setting, because I didn't touch the graphics settings and I'm getting it too. Which makes me feel that if it's so common, why hasn't it been fixed yet. :/

Retired Forum Moderator

Because it's CryEngine, and not CryEngine 0.5... (At least that's what I hear)

The laser game definitely has more potential. The whole time I was thinking about how complex you could make the puzzles with limited mirrors that you can also rotate and use both sides of a mirror to get the laser where it needs to be. Maybe even splitting lasers to hit certain gems to open up doors/activate other mirrors and then fuse them back together or have two gems to get too. This is definitely a game I would sink hours into while waiting for other things if the levels got larger, harder, and more complex.

As BTG mentioned having the mirrors snap to a grid would the game a lot less fiddly to play. Being able to rotate the mirrors would also be a great way to add angles into the mix and get rid of that "too simple" stigma people are having.

Chrome thinks the laser game is malware... You might want to look into that.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

You get that laser game up, and I'm sure you could start selling it.

The long term goal is to market it, hence why I'm not using public or free assets.

As for chrome thinking it's malware, I believe that's the sight instead of the game, unless it's not doing that for the other.

Retired Forum Moderator

What AV are you using? It might be that telling the browser that it's an untrusted site, or that the game is a PUP. (Potentially Unwanted Program)

I think it's chrome and it's anti-phishing and malware option. I turned that off and it downloaded fine. turn it back on after if it makes you uncomfortable.

Retired Forum Moderator