TransAsia Crash (And more plane crashes)

Sign in to follow this  

Oh, a plane crash. Oh, another. Why are they all Asian?

It's quite concerning. :I

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/feb/04/transasia-plane-crash-lands-in-taiwan-river-rolling-coverage

There's this, which is the TransAsia plane crashing.

No racism or offense towards Asians or their companies, but it's just quite concerning. Especially since my boyfriend may be getting on a flight to go to Thailand in March. @_@ I don't want him to go. I want him to stay. I would pay him $500 to stay. Or $1000. I don't care, I just don't want to lose him.

What do you guys think of all these recent plane crashes?

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Most likely maintenance incompetence. You have no idea how different asian regulation enforcement is from the way it is just about everywhere else.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Aviation is one of those things that make me feel proud for the humanity. It is the fastest and the most energy intensive way to travel and should be the most dangerous but, in fact, it has been turned into the safest mass transportation system on the planet.

That out of the way, the risk differs between the types and geographic location of carriers.

A low cost airline is generally, more susceptible than a flag carrier to commercial pressures and cutting corners on maintenance and crew selection and training. That's one risk factor.

Another is the culture, where deference to authority is strong and ingrained. In this situation, a technician may not report a fault he had noticed while his boss didn't or a co-pilot may not point out to the captain that he is missing something important.

International aviation rules and standards are designed to minimise the influence of such factors but it is not possible to completely eliminate them and when the two are combined - they amplify each other, unfortunately.

I have to admit that losing 2 planes in such manner is not saying good things about TransAsia.

The first one suggests the crew may not have acted correctly or wisely when faced with a bad weather en-route (however, Air France lost a much bigger plane in similar circumstances - so, even a major airline is not beyond inadequacies in crew training).

The second incident is likely to have been triggered by an engine failure - which questions the quality of maintenance, especially in such a new aircraft. Whether the crew handled the engine problem as best as they should have - is not yet known (I suspect they probably did all the right things but the circumstances conspired against them).

In general, however, I would say that your individual chances of being killed in an air crash on a particular trip are still very low.

Try to use major carriers, if you can, and avoid travelling when there are major storms around if you'd like to minimise them further, but still, I'd rather fly than take a boat.

Regards

I've always been told that air travel is the safest way to travel, but ever since MH 370 up to TransAsia, that and my fear of heights, it made me wanna NOT travel by air. Which is ironic, since i'm studying tourism. I even chickened out of my course's annual tour to Singapore and Malaysia last year.

Welp, now what?

Latest reports are saying - both engines failed on that TransAsia flight in Taiwan. The pilots did an excellent job avoiding crashing into buildings and making it to the river. If only they had 10-15 more meters of height in reserve, they could have avoided the final stall and land with the wings level, but they hadn't. RIP.

@AP_Pastor: I hate airports but I love flying. Just being on a plane lifts my spirits (as long as it's a window seat :-) )

Regards

@AP_Pastor: I hate airports but I love flying. Just being on a plane lifts my spirits (as long as it's a window seat :-) )

Oh yeah. Window seats are my source of comfort whenever i'm on a plane. I only flew twice before my fear kicked in. Anyway, window seats, a good view of the sea, and a smooth flight are the things that would keep me sane in a flight.

Welp, now what?

People in general aren't very good at assessing risk.

We focus on dangers that are high-profile, mostly because of media attention, but are still pretty rare.

While we ignore the dangers that are so frequent they have become commonplace and are thus part of every day life.

It's why Americans freaked the hell out over Ebola, but aren't too worked up about obesity, or the resurgence of measles for that matter.

Latest reports are saying - both engines failed on that TransAsia flight in Taiwan.

That would mean lack of fuel, electrical, or computer problems. (I haven't read the info as yet, so I'm not sure which)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

The plane that crashed in France seems to have been controlled by a suicidal pilot :-(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32063587

If that will turn out to be true - what a useless selfish moron! :evil: There are ways of killing yourself without taking 149 other people's lives with you and it's not exactly a rocket science...

Regards

They're saying he took timeout a few years back because of a 'burnout' or 'depression', but subsequently passed all the physical and psychological tests before returning to service.

He must have had a serious - and possibly sudden - relapse to make him commit suicide in such a way. They haven't found the second Black Box yet, so that might shade more light on what happened.

God knows what it must have been like for the Captain, who was locked out of the cockpit. It shows that nothing is foolproof.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

If someone is depressed, they should just go tell someone. Please, for the love of God. You're not hurting just yourself, but the people around you. I have a depressed friend who can make my life miserable, because she'll just share her sadness to me, and express nothing but disappointment and her miserable life. Yes. I would like to help you, but no, I don't want to hear it 24/7. That's what therapists are for. XD Go bicker with them instead.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

It shows that nothing is foolproof.

Yes, the unintended consequences. They've forced all airlines to install armoured cockpit doors to protect from terrorists. Now the same door protected a suicidal maniac and let him kill 149 people...

You're not hurting just yourself, but the people around you.

This is what really pisses me off about that guy!

Regards

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.