Wanting to do something, Potato computer

Sign in to follow this  

Basically ever since I saw Red vs Blue I have wanted to do something in machinima. I have lots of ideas and been told when I can get my act together I can actually do mildly impressive concept work. The thing is between Life and the reality of things I have never had a computer that can actually do anything.

I'm expecting either nothing, or a lot of negativity but the core 'want' is to try doing something where I don't need to have any sort of outside help, mostly because getting help if you don't already have friends interested in helping or have a body of work to show off is next to impossible. Not helped by the fact I have a lot of ideas that are probably unworkable without some kind of dedicated team.

So basically... What are my options for solo?

Games I have:

Halflife 1 (Do NOT want to just do a vanilla halflife world thing. However the engine is popular.)

Tribes Vengeance: I know it's UT based, maybe UT2 based, but I know NOTHING of how to make it do anything.

Tribes 2 (I love the editor's ability to just dump static assets, emitters, and the like into an open terrain. Not a lot of tools available to actually do things like have AI do specific tasks, there is a way to get the HUD to go away during demos but it's cludgey and i think last time I tried it appeared invisible, but was visible in fraps.) I've actually wanted to do something with this because i like the game, and the lore. There's a PS2 game that has higher res textures, models, and weapons but no idea how to rip/convert.

Unreal Tournament (UT99:) I know NOTHING of editing or anything for UT99, but I've heard it's super popular.

System Shock 2 (the lighting is very nice in the 2.44 patch.)

Doom 2, Strife.

I have a few others, but I'm not sure what would be useful from the standpoint of machinima.

Potato Specs:

HP Pavilion a6200 series box.

Uses a PSLP-LE Motherboard, so if I get a better processor (I MIGHT if I don't have to get a new power supply, or if I can get one cheap that won't go kaboom)

Windows 10 Professional (Yay Insider Preview.)

Goal is to get something like a Geforce 720 or 750 because this thing is never going to be 'good' but a video card even gimped by motherboard would allow me to do SOMETHING since right now I've got a GMA950 and that thing is the biggest crippling thing on my box (seriously it only does OGL1.4.)

The other thing I might try is a processor but the best I can get is, I think, a Core 2 Duo E6x00 (currently have a Core 2 Duo E4x00 installed.)

USB Mic, no camera. No head for code.

i've gotten published for a few smalltime distribute by PDF e-zenes but nothing really to write home about.

Again. I just... well I just want to have something I can do on my own.

I'm no expert, but I reckon the best thing to do (if you haven't already) is to make a very short, simple machinima (a minute or so), just to see how your rig copes with it. If it struggles with longer/larger projects, then you could hone your skill on a number of shorts, while saving up for better hardware, if bigger projects are your end goal.

If what you make has potential, then I'm sure more experienced people will give you some tips and such (also there probably YouTube tutorials somewhere).

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

For a simple machinima, you might want to consider trying something in Skyrim or Fallout 4... Fallout 4 would probly be the better option of the two, but you'll have to wait for the GECK to be released.

There are a LOT of engines that can be used for machinima. Most of the engines you mentioned were only popular for the fact that many people had experience modding them anyways, not because they are easy or fun to make machinimas in.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I'm not going to argue at the ease in useability of Fallout 4 or Skyrim, but given the specs I have listed... how do you expect me to use either?

You mentioned a GT750, that will do a decent framerate at medium settings in F4, and good framerates in Skyrim. (if properly setup, 20-30 FPS in F4, or 30+ in Skyrim)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Ah... Wait so with that my computer would actually be able to do these things?

I did not realize that. I'd figured I'd still be five years lagged behind everyone.