Dimitry Orlov, are you aware of him?

Sign in to follow this  

http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/

One of the more interesting and entertaining commentators on all things peak oil and collapse. Dimitry was a witness to the collapse of the USSR and has made the observation that the US is headed in the same direction: The 'Collapse Gap' is closing, finally. He is able to make very insightful comparisons between the two superpowers and what their respective collapses might mean/has meant to the people living under their banners.

I had heard of him on the news a good while ago if I remember right, the idea of the US falling apart is very interesting although I am about as clueless as it gets when diplomacy is concerned. I just find the idea cool, to be alive when such a dramatic change happens to the last remaining "empire" in human civilization. Imagine if Texas, Florida, etc. became individual countries. . .

On a side note, wasn't it right here in Reykjavík where the president of the US and the Soviet union shook hands to put an end to the latter?

Individual countries?

AHAHAH why would they become individual countries? The USSR was actually made up of previously independent countries with different ethnic backgrounds, languages, traditions, etc. It was inevitable that sooner or later they would want their freedom back. The states of America aren't like that at all. And I doubt there's anyone stupid enough in America to actually think that things would be better off for them if the states were separate countries. The moment that happens, America would just be a sitting duck for any country that felt like expanding their borders. I don't think it's going to happen.

Countries are interdependent on each other, at least most are. China, America, the European nations, Russia, Australia, etc. If one falls, the others shortly follow. It comes down to economics. They need each other for supply and demand.

why would they become individual countries? The USSR was actually made up of previously independent countries with different ethnic backgrounds, languages, traditions, etc. It was inevitable that sooner or later they would want their freedom back. The states of America aren't like that at all.

No, but the way the United States started off is not exactly a story of butterflies and unicorns either.

Imagine if Texas, Florida, etc. became individual countries. . .

I don't need to imagine. They, and a bunch of neighboring states, declared their succession in 1861 to form a society based on the "right to own slaves." They lost, and the USA remains one country, but over half a million people died.

why would they become individual countries? The USSR was actually made up of previously independent countries with different ethnic backgrounds, languages, traditions, etc. It was inevitable that sooner or later they would want their freedom back. The states of America aren't like that at all.

No, but the way the United States started off is not exactly a story of butterflies and unicorns either.

I know, I wasn't implying that it was. It's just an unrealistic idea for the states to become separate countries in the future. It's not like there's a big separatist movement going on.

I know, I wasn't implying that it was. It's just an unrealistic idea for the states to become separate countries in the future. It's not like there's a big separatist movement going on.

Have you seen the proportion of illegal immigrants to citizens in most of the states? It's going to be 1:1 pretty soon...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.