Creating a Dead Games List

Well, Ross brought it up already, so I've decided to create a Google spreadsheet so we could create a list of all of the dead/preserved/at risk games we know of currently.

To view all currently known games:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sHklszwAENqAOvEtCnwhBYXGqntHuRkqOUBKzbnuicE

Also, feel free to add new games to the list - just fill this form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1i-_RHsz_6LdCBkCv4vURMShpIboevOFI_BAdhMLTk0I

Bear in mind, someone would need to maintain it, aside from it relying on community input. So if anyone wants to volunteer, just let me know.

UPDATE (8/13/16): This hasn't caught on and no new entries were entered in the past two months, so I won't be checking on it and maintaining it anymore.

If anyone wants to use it that list as a base for another project, be my guest.

If new entries are submitted, they'll appear at the end of the list with a single line separating them from the list so far - so you'll know what has been reviewed.

Thanks for everyone who's submitted dead, dying or saved games. I hope we succeed in ending this practice soon.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I have submitted several game to the list.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Should dead MPs really be added? If yes, than basically add any game that does not have the ability to make dedicated private servers with an option to connect with only IP address.

Imho only if there is no single player at all.

Same for MMOs - all MMOs die eventually... Their core gameplay means it will die...

Same for MMOs - all MMOs die eventually... Their core gameplay means it will die...

No, it doesn't. If people can run their own servers, even MMOs will still be playable. Granted the experience won't be the same, but that's miles better than the game dying outright with no possibility to play it at all.

No, it doesn't. If people can run their own servers, even MMOs will still be playable. Granted the experience won't be the same, but that's miles better than the game dying outright with no possibility to play it at all.

Well, they will... Lets be real here - e.g. some old rts game or some shooter, yes, why not - a community could make a game session and 10-20 players enjoy it at an evening. For some games those old dedicated servers are still up - I think I read recently that people are still enjoying the old COD games in MP. For most MMOs you need a much bigger crowd to be able to actually play (running around alone can't really be classified as playing imho). MMOs imho is not the problem, their mechanism in the core says, that people one day will move on and the company no matter how good won't be able to keep it up forever. Yes, imho even WOW will shut down one day. Sure it won't next month or next year, but that time will come. Yes, private servers will still be available, but they will be shit and with low interest in them.

I don't think that's true. First of all, there are MMOs like The Secret World where doing single player is viable. Second of all - if there's a demand for it, you can create a community surrounding a private server. I've done that with friends in a game called MU Online, and later, Lineage II.

Anyway, we're just cataloging it to see its extent, and raise awareness about games that have died or could die soon that need to be saved. Notice that there's even a category for browser games, like The Last Stand series, and mobile games which I'm not that familiar with.

I don't think that's true. First of all, there are MMOs like The Secret World where doing single player is viable. Second of all - if there's a demand for it, you can create a community surrounding a private server. I've done that with friends in a game called MU Online, and later, Lineage II.

Anyway, we're just cataloging it to see its extent, and raise awareness about games that have died or could die soon that need to be saved. Notice that there's even a category for browser games, like The Last Stand series, and mobile games which I'm not that familiar with.

Sure, my point was that the game death is mostly an issue with games that are mostly SP in nature, but require an online connection to run. That's the worst thing, they don't make a some sort of a last patch that would enable people to play offline in the end.

And secondly games were the MP aspect is significant, but the developer does not give dedicated servers to users, so when the support ends you cannot play MP anymore. E.g. you can run loads of old shooters still, because you can make dedicated servers (RTCW, COD, half-life, old CS versions etc. etc.).

Assassin's Creed 2 series doesnt make much sense on list- rather add individual games rather than whole series, because II itself doesnt have multiplayer

But i'd like to add few games

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Assassin's Creed 2 series doesnt make much sense on list- rather add individual games rather than whole series, because II itself doesnt have multiplayer

AC2 requires the Ubisoft launcher to run, (if the Ubisoft service is down, you can't play) so it makes perfect sense on this list. (the 'series' addition means it also applies to Brotherhood and Revelations) Also, there is MP for AC2. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed:_Revelations#Multiplayer - Though it isn't for the original game, just the two sequels)

With all of that said, the list needs to be updated to allow for the fact that AC2, and all of it's direct sequels on the same engine, (Brotherhood, Revelations) have more than just an 'at risk: multiplayer' issue.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Fixed.

Feel free to do it!

Now, we need more people to contribute for the list to be both extensive and accurate. So if anyone knows of any major boards that might welcome it, feel free to suggest them. Alternatively, just post it there yourself and link here if anyone has any issues.

Fixed.

You need to unfix that, as the SP game of AC2 is still at risk due to its reliance on the Ubisoft launcher to run.

You need to unfix that, as the SP game of AC2 is still at risk due to its reliance on the Ubisoft launcher to run.

While you aren't wrong, the UPlay DRM in this instance doesn't transfer any of the game data - it's just regular DRM. Plus, it was cracked, so ACII isn't in any risk.

So, you're going to completely exclude any game that has a fix? If you don't go get the crack, (which is technically a violation of their copyright) you can't play the game at all without an internet connection. (or a Uplay account that has already had the game activated and been set to offline mode, but it still requires periodic online connections)

No game should be excluded from this list if it requires ANYTHING that doesn't come in the box in order to run completely offline. (this is essentially the same thing Ross said, but he allowed for official patches to include full-offline as not at-risk, but only if it didn't remove anything from the game)

No, it just doesn't fit the criteria.

If it has any data related to how the game functions online rather than locally, it fits the bill. Since ACII doesn't have that, and only has online verification, it doesn't fit our criteria.

If the game was literally uncrackable, which no game has proved to be so far, then you might have a point.

By your system, every game on Steam is at risk because it needs online verification. I just don't think that is the point Ross was trying to make.

In that case, I am done with this list. (because Ross did specifically say in a couple interviews that Steam itself was a serious concern for him)

If you remove games from a list of dead games because you can do illegal things to them to make them work, (which 99% of the people that play them probably won't ever learn about) then why even have a list at all?

um, mate, if thats your criteria for being "in danger", you could easily add ENTIRE uplay, origin and steam libraries to the list. While yes, legally speaking you cant play it without ubisoft servers being online (which is also case for origin & EA games, if you have bought them trough that service), then in reality, did like 2 second google search and i found numerous cracks for it. And even without it- offline mode (yup, this does exist for services like steam, origin and uplay), plus its fairly safe to say that company of this size has some doomsday scenario figured out so they wouldnt get sued for billions. Meaning AC2 is safe.

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Updated the form with following description:

Submit games which are on death row, dead or saved to the tracker, with the following caveats:

1. If the game has a multiplayer component, it's worth noting only if either matchmaking is only done through the central server, or if the match itself is hosted on the central server.

2. If the game is singleplayer, it is worth noting only if it hasn't been cracked to allow offline play, or if it stores some or all of its game data on a central server.

3. Online only games using outdated software that has been emulated but has since failed are worth noting. This includes but is not limited to Flash games, Java games and browser games.

If anyone can find any leaps in logic or any games which could've been missed, please tell me so I can fix it ASAP. For example, I've added no. 3 because of games like The Last Stand: Union City, Runescape, and Neopets.

I am going to submit Dragon ball Online to the list. Because it was a Taiwan/Chinese/Korean Major Released MMO that it was shut down by NTL in 2013. Thankfully, it was saved by two geniuses who reverse Engineered the MMO.

Hopefully, it will be added into the list.

I am going to submit Dragon ball Online to the list. Because it was a Taiwan/Chinese/Korean Major Released MMO that it was shut down by NTL in 2013. Thankfully, it was saved by two geniuses who reverse Engineered the MMO.

Hopefully, it will be added into the list.

Feel free to submit anything that fits the criteria! We also have to let more people know of this list's existence. It's currently kind of overwhelming and very incomplete, and documentation for this sort of thing is time sensitive - so the sooner we get the word out, the better it is.