Call to 3D modelers

Sign in to follow this  

Hey, folks!

I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here but I'm seriously considering making some kind of 3D animation for Accursed Farms, but I'm in need of some assistance in that respect.

Since the Internet has failed me in finding free or cheap models that I can use, I am putting out a call to any 3D modeler here. It may or may not relate to "The Movie!"; I'd have to see how everything works out.

What I'm looking for are 3D models of the Accursed Farms barn, grain silos, the scarecrow, and potentially the cow (but the cow could be left out). Nothing I can find on the Internet suits this purpose. I can get close to how they visually look on the website, but not exactly.

So, would any 3D modeler like to try their hand at this? If so, either respond here on the forums or you can PM me about it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to try this out!

Unfortunately, I'm just starting learning Blender, so I can't help yet...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I can make the models... in Google Sketchup. Is there a particular file type you want the models in, because maybe sketchup will export it.

I see everything.

I can take pretty standard files, such as .obj, .3ds, .lwo, .dxf, .dae, .goz, .ma, .mb, and .blend. Will they have textures? If not, I can still probably work with it as long as they have sane UV maps.

Thanks so much! :mrgreen:

I'll take a crack at this. I've made some pretty good models in the past. It's been a while though it shouldn't be hard for me to get my modeling brain juice flowing again. I could never figure out how to make decent textures I so I'll make some serviceable UV maps instead. For reference what is the average polygon count for the Witcher 2 assets Ross is using? I want to make sure that the models don't look jarring when sitting next to other assets. They should seem like they belong together.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

To be clear, these models are not going to be used in "the movie" itself. It's just a project I'm going to be doing for the site itself.

Okay, should I just do whatever I want in regards to detail level/polygon count then?

Do you have a file of Accursed Farms ending graphic that Ross uses at the end of each video? That would be the best image for me to reference as I model. It also appears to have a large resolution which will help me take in all the detail.

I would attempt to model something up, but I already have 3D projects I need to work on for school. :(

But good luck with it!

And I recommend keeping track of who's making what, so you don't have people creating a bunch of the same models. If that makes sense... XP Modeling takes so much time, geez.

And to cheer you up about your lack of cows, cause... I know how much trouble you've had trying to look for a cow model. XD

FavUpD_IjVY

:P

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Alright I found a workaround. I just paused the video at the end of the RGD DarkSpore episode at the highest visual quality setting, pressed my print screen key, pasted it into paint and saved it as a .png file. That's probably the highest quality image I can get. Do I need ask Ross for permission before I upload the graphic for other people to use in their modeling projects? I probably don't need to worry about it but it never hurts to ask first.

Edit: I've crop the individual graphics away from each other and there are somethings I've noticed.The grain silos are heavily obscured by the farm barn so I barely have any graphics to work with. They are also tilted at an angle so I can't just mirror them. Are the grain silos modeled off of any particular grain silo or are they purely custom? Also the scarecrow is pretty indistinct and blobby looking when viewed close up. I can try to model the scarecrow off of the picture but I'll really have to wing it.

And to cheer you up about your lack of cows, cause... I know how much trouble you've had trying to look for a cow model. XD

FavUpD_IjVY

:P

...and here's another cow! This one kinda resembles the AF cow. This is the Atom Heart Mother cover from Pink Floyd btw

AtomHeartMotherCover.jpeg

Welp, now what?

Alright I found a workaround. I just paused the video at the end of the RGD DarkSpore episode at the highest visual quality setting, pressed my print screen key, pasted it into paint and saved it as a .png file. That's probably the highest quality image I can get. Do I need ask Ross for permission before I upload the graphic for other people to use in their modeling projects? I probably don't need to worry about it but it never hurts to ask first.

Edit: I've crop the individual graphics away from each other and there are somethings I've noticed.The grain silos are heavily obscured by the farm barn so I barely have any graphics to work with. They are also tilted at an angle so I can't just mirror them. Are the grain silos modeled off of any particular grain silo or are they purely custom? Also the scarecrow is pretty indistinct and blobby looking when viewed close up. I can try to model the scarecrow off of the picture but I'll really have to wing it.

Yeah, I understand that there'll be some issues converting those flat graphics to 3D. Do what you can and I thank you for any work you do! :)

I've started the first few modeling drafts for the farm barn. I'll post some screenshots once I feel I'm happy with them

First I am so sorry for taking this long. I tend to forget how obsessive I can get with modeling details. I threw out a lot of drafts and started over from scratch several times. But enough about that. I have made some progress. Here's a screenshot of front of the farm barn. The roof was a bit difficult to get right due to the perspective but I think I did alright. I'll do my best to make it as close to the pictures as possible but I will have to do some guesswork for the rest of the models at some point due to my rather limited reference images. If you have any particular reference images you would like me to use to expand my range let me know.

2010944807_FarmBarn2.thumb.png.cc46fdb5ce115bd0dbd4962badc763f0.png

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Don't worry about the turnaround time. Thanks for what you have done so far!

The only thing I can see right now is that the shape of the roof feels off. From what I can tell, the roof has four separate planes. The roof meets in the middle, then on each side of the gable, there is a bend, creating four different planes.

Also, the roof has a bit of an overhang. See this for my suggested edits:

http://i.imgur.com/DmPrvaA.png

I can't wait to see this in 3D. :)

Don't worry about the turnaround time. Thanks for what you have done so far!

The only thing I can see right now is that the shape of the roof feels off. From what I can tell, the roof has four separate planes. The roof meets in the middle, then on each side of the gable, there is a bend, creating four different planes.

Also, the roof has a bit of an overhang. See this for my suggested edits:

http://i.imgur.com/DmPrvaA.png

I can't wait to see this in 3D. :)

Thanks for the tip, I was having a really hard time getting the shape of the roof just right. Here's an update on the roof for you. Now do you have any side and/or back reference images you'd like me to use or would you like me to just wing it?

594588793_FarmBarnRoof.png.acd99a910d3382721abc4af0d509ec2f.png

I wouldn't worry too much about side(s) you can't see in the logo images. For the thing I'm making, you won't be seeing them anyway. Just throw on something to contain the barn so that light won't leak in (unless you want it to--a hole for a shaft of light to appear through might work but don't sweat it if you don't want to put a hole in the roof). Go ahead and wing it for the stuff you can't see in the image. I would say that the corn/grain silos you see are identical, and the other "side" of the barn that you can't see is identical to the side you can see.

The update looks perfect so far!

If you'd like, we can take this to PM or email so that we don't keep spamming this thread. ;)