Tropico 5

Sign in to follow this  

Anybody else play this yet? I'm talking about the PS4 version specifically, but you PC master race gamers and X Box-ers are welcome here too... :3

I enjoy the fact that money in this game feels less like an absolute end goal and more of a resource that waxes and wanes, depending on your international relationships or how well managed your resources and trade routes are - you aren't going to immediately fail if your countries isand is low or even in the red. Unfortunately playing it on the PS4 with a pad makes you realize how ill-suited the console is a strategy/management game, laying roads in particular is a massive pain in the arse.

My favourite thing is the humorous dialogue, especially with your advisor Penultimo. Especially his comments on new technology and laws that you've successfully researched.

"Our research team - that is to say me - discovered the shovel. Forty times. If I found out who put it there, I will kill him!"

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I played all of the franchise since the first Tropico game in my childhood. Tropico 5, in my opinion, is the worst game in the franchise, maybe worse than Tropico 2. It still has the humour and the whole aspect of mind-controlling your citizens and country, but comparing it to Tropico 4, you have less options and the game can become stale after you finish the modern era. There are still cool gameplay aspects like the upgraded eras and the AI, but it feels very lacking and leaves you wanting more.

I don't know if you played Tropico 4, but its basically a better version of both 3 and 5, it has more buildings, more freedom of control, more edicts, more customisation options for you dictator, more of everything, EXCEPT graphics, 5 has better graphics and art style.

I played all of the franchise since the first Tropico game in my childhood. Tropico 5, in my opinion, is the worst game in the franchise, maybe worse than Tropico 2. It still has the humour and the whole aspect of mind-controlling your citizens and country, but comparing it to Tropico 4, you have less options and the game can become stale after you finish the modern era. There are still cool gameplay aspects like the upgraded eras and the AI, but it feels very lacking and leaves you wanting more.

I don't know if you played Tropico 4, but it's basically a better version of both 3 and 5, it has more buildings, more freedom of control, more edicts, more customisation options for you dictator, more of everything, EXCEPT graphics, 5 has better graphics and art style.

That's the thing, I hadn't even heard of the Tropico franchise until this one came out, so I guess I came to it without any real expectations. That being said I have played better strategy/management genre games than Tropico 5. It strikes me as being a very casual take on the game style, which for a console format actually suits me just fine. I must confess I rather enjoy playing sandbox mode with unlimited funds just see how enormous an island metropolis I can dredge up. Your comments though - and some other negative reviews made by fans of the series - makes me curious about the fourth installment.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

That's the thing, I hadn't even heard of the Tropico franchise until this one came out, so I guess I came to it without any real expectations. That being said I have played better strategy/management genre games than Tropico 5. It strikes me as being a very casual take on the game style, which for a console format actually suits me just fine. I must confess I rather enjoy playing sandbox mode with unlimited funds just see how enormous an island metropolis I can dredge up. Your comments though - and some other negative reviews made by fans of the series - makes me curious about the fourth installment.

Play it.

Trust me, Tropico 4 is one of my favorite games on PC, every hour playing it I enjoyed it (112 hours on record). Its also one of the most common games to be on sale, I got mine at 80% off, so you might be lucky to get it even at 90%. But even at 22$ with all DLC, it still worth it, (Though I might be over-hyping it, depends on how much you prefer strategy/management games)

Heck check out the reviews on steam, they're all accurate on how the game is. I still play it from time to time, even more than other games I consider better than it, like Cities Skylines and Simcity 4.

I don't know if you played Tropico 4, but its basically a better version of both 3 and 5, it has more buildings, more freedom of control, more edicts, more customisation options for you dictator, more of everything, EXCEPT graphics, 5 has better graphics and art style.

+1

Play it.

Trust me, Tropico 4 is one of my favorite games on PC, every hour playing it I enjoyed it (112 hours on record). Its also one of the most common games to be on sale, I got mine at 80% off, so you might be lucky to get it even at 90%. But even at 22$ with all DLC, it still worth it, (Though I might be over-hyping it, depends on how much you prefer strategy/management games)

+1

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

How can I argue with two '1's' given by BTG? :D

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

played 4 & 3 & 5, have to say 5 is my favourite.

The thing about that is- i aint into hardcore managing stuff, if you are, then 4 is indeed better (though still extremely mild compared to real hardcore managing sims). But if you look for more casual game you can have easy fun in, tropico 5 is definetly way to go. Especially if you want to go trough eras, giving you more time to plan it all out & modify settlement to needs.

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

played 4 & 3 & 5, have to say 5 is my favourite.

The thing about that is- i aint into hardcore managing stuff, if you are, then 4 is indeed better (though still extremely mild compared to real hardcore managing sims). But if you look for more casual game you can have easy fun in, tropico 5 is definetly way to go. Especially if you want to go trough eras, giving you more time to plan it all out & modify settlement to needs.

Playing Tropico 5 sandbox with unlimited funds is great fun. It might not be overwhelmingly challenging but it's rather entertaining watching your little coastal settlement develop into a thriving island metropolis.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

The 'Complete Edition' of this game is currently available on Steam for $10.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I miss a lot of features from Tropico 4 and the large list of buildings, but I like the new trading interface, the heir system and the removal of the really awful stereotypical characters and awful jokes that came with.