Theatre and Plays

Sign in to follow this  

I'm a huge theatre buff and wanted to see if anyone on here shared the passion.

What's your favorite play? What are you reading? Seen anything lately? Been in anything lately?

I'm currently reading "Tango" by Slawomir Mrozek (if anyone could tell me how to pronounce that...) and The Homecoming by Pinter. Im already very familiar with Pinter but i picked up purely by its description; "his mother sleeps with a vulgar hoodlum; his father looks the other way, meanwhile writing avant-garde plays."

So let's talk theatre. Even if you're not into it, but are intetested, I've been wanting to make a beginning reader's guide.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

I haven't ever been into plays or stuff like that but I've been on a field trip a few years ago to go and see a Romeo and Juliet play which was alright. I also saw Jesus Christ Super Star which was... It was good but I didn't really understand entirely what was going on because it was just so "Uh... What?" I'd definitely go and see more plays but I never like to do anything alone, so that's out the window.

I haven't ever been into plays or stuff like that but I've been on a field trip a few years ago to go and see a Romeo and Juliet play which was alright. I also saw Jesus Christ Super Star which was... It was good but I didn't really understand entirely what was going on because it was just so "Uh... What?" I'd definitely go and see more plays but I never like to do anything alone, so that's out the window.

I'm personally not into musicals, though I know too many people that are. If you're interested in going I'd say it's not bad to go alone, having friends there isn't necessary at all. As a performer, I was always more happy to see people sitting quietly and enjoying the show rather than a group of friends tapping each other on the shoulder constantly.

But yes, see more! Read more! It's all wonderful.

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

I also saw Jesus Christ Superstar which was... It was good but I didn't really understand entirely what was going on because it was just so "Uh... What?"

I guess I can help with that. Jesus Christ Superstar is set during the last few days of Christ through the perspective of Judas. To keep it short, Judas is concerned with the way Jesus is leading His disciples and how He is hailed as their Messiah, and is afraid of the subsequent consequences. I'm not good in summarising things up, i'm sorry.

JCS is a big favorite of mine, something I inherited from my dad, who saw the 1973 movie version. While he stuck on to the movie version, I collected 4 other recordings of JCS, like the original 1970 album, the 1996 London revival, the 2000 movie remake and the 2012 Arena Tour, just for the sake of hearing the different cast's take on the songs.

Welp, now what?

I also saw Jesus Christ Superstar which was... It was good but I didn't really understand entirely what was going on because it was just so "Uh... What?"

I guess I can help with that. Jesus Christ Superstar is set during the last few days of Christ through the perspective of Judas. To keep it short, Judas is concerned with the way Jesus is leading His disciples and how He is hailed as their Messiah, and is afraid of the subsequent consequences. I'm not good in summarising things up, i'm sorry.

JCS is a big favorite of mine, something I inherited from my dad, who saw the 1973 movie version. While he stuck on to the movie version, I collected 4 other recordings of JCS, like the original 1970 album, the 1996 London revival, the 2000 movie remake and the 2012 Arena Tour, just for the sake of hearing the different cast's take on the songs.

Im not familiar with it, but ive heard Micharl Crawford do a piece from it and it was BEAUTIFUL! Id love to see the whole play.

Michael Crawford? I think you're referring to Phantom of the Opera. As far as I know, I don't know if he was cast in Jesus Christ Superstar, guess i'll have to search.

Welp, now what?

Michael Crawford? I think you're referring to Phantom of the Opera. As far as I know, I don't know if he was cast in Jesus Christ Superstar, guess i'll have to search.

No it was a one-off performance. I should've specified. I can't remember what it was for though.

Is it this one?

UryTuPseiUo

Yes! I get goosebumps everytime. Absolutely phenomenal.

Damn impressive! I'll admit I still get the Phantom vibe from him while he sings, but he did a wonderful job with Gethsemane.

Welp, now what?

It's been years since I actually went to see a play, but I enjoy reading certain playwrights work. I especially like the "harrowing normalcy" of Scandinavian authors, the Norwegian Ibsen and the Swedish Strindberg in particular.

"Talk about the weather? Which we know... Ask how we are? Which we know... I prefer silence. Then you hear thoughts, and see the past. Silence can conceal nothing, which words can. - August Strindberg, The Ghost Sonata

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

It's been years since I actually went to see a play, but I enjoy reading certain playwrights work. I especially like the "harrowing normalcy" of Scandinavian authors, the Norwegian Ibsen and the Swedish Strindberg in particular.

"Talk about the weather? Which we know... Ask how we are? Which we know... I prefer silence. Then you hear thoughts, and see the past. Silence can conceal nothing, which words can. - August Strindberg, The Ghost Sonata

I love Ibsen! My sig is actually from his play Ghosts, which is as beautiful as it is esoteric at times.

I love Ibsen! My sig is actually from his play Ghosts, which is as beautiful as it is esoteric at times.

I've always admired the way in which his protagonists ideals slowly but inevitably fade away in the face of harsh reality and all too human inadequacy. My favourite Ibsen play is probably The Wild Duck. It's almost like an analysis of the Norway's national character, a country that survived despite being on the peripheries of most European cultural affairs, almost bypassing the renaissance entirely only to suddenly find modernity thrust upon it in the 19th century. A character built on the contradictory notion that in order to feel truly and contentedly Norwegian, many Norwegians seek solitude.

Old Werle: "I believe there is no one in the world you detest as you do me."

Gregers: "I have seen you at too close quarters.”

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I'd like to see an E.P. Christy-style minstrel show revival... just without the social justice wackos causing race riots. I think it would be a lot of fun, and you don't necessarily need burnt cork on your face to wear a gaudy tailcoat and sing "Some Folks". People forget there was a lot of good with the bad.

There are four lights!