VR: If and how it's going to take off

Sign in to follow this  

So VR is is out in the world and the early adopters are adopting but do you guys think VR is really going to take off? I think if it's going to really become disruptive technology it's going to either have to be a well rounded media device like the Xbone was originally marketed as or even adapt to working environments like new methods of 3d modelling or something like that. I have a theory that if they refine the headset weight and screens enough VR might actually replace the computer monitor, maybe televisions as well since the computer is sort of doing that already. Am i crazy? What do you guys think will happen?

It's(it being the average product) way too overpriced, especially for an accessory. No sane person would spend more money on an accessory than the actual console or computer.

They already have full-blown art and modeling systems for it, and even a motion capture system that uses it.

VR will reside in the niche realm, but AR (augmented reality) is likely to become a more 'everyday' thing, but not for another decade or two. (they have to improve processing and display capabilities and object tracking/recognition a LOT before it hits 'mainstream')

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

It's going to die. Right now it's a really niche thing, Oculus is killing itself with always on DRM and people finding out they record things you say via your mic and send it to Facebook's ad group, Vive's whole thing is that VR games now also need a minimum room size requirement or they won't work, it's overly expensive, devs are selling their games for way to much when most of it is kinda boring arcade games and the system requirements demand you need a pc that is over $2000 to build and most VR games don't really need to be VR tbh.

It's not going to do well, there are numerous problems with no real reason to use it

It's going to die. Right now it's a really niche thing, Oculus is killing itself with always on DRM and people finding out they record things you say via your mic and send it to Facebook's ad group, Vive's whole thing is that VR games now also need a minimum room size requirement or they won't work, it's overly expensive, devs are selling their games for way to much when most of it is kinda boring arcade games and the system requirements demand you need a pc that is over $2000 to build and most VR games don't really need to be VR tbh.

It's not going to do well, there are numerous problems with no real reason to use it

Yep, niche is pretty much how I would describe it too...

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

yeah but so were video games in general, there's always going to be an early adopter period, call me naive but after trying it for the first time i think there really is something there that you can't get out of anything else. I think the biggest problem is that if you haven't tried it you really can't get that "thing" that just clicks in your brain.

VR technology will be revolutionary but I think it's going to be seriously handicapped by it being in a niche market. If they ever stop selling units at any point their market will burn out and the VR technology will die with it as result.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.