Video Game Pet Peeves

As bad as RNG is, layered RNG is even worse. For example, in Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (amazing RPG, BTW totally worth a try, pretty long imo) end/post game sidequest requires you to craft a War God's Ax. Alright, end game weapon, how hard can it be? Well it requires a Demon's Ax, 5 Scroll's of Truth and 5 Kaleidostone's.

Alright, how do you get these items? Well the Scroll of Truth is a rare drop/steal, from rare enemies. Same with the Kaleidostone. You need five each. The fastest way to get them? A certain character has the Steal ability that only he has. His (in FF7 terms) Limit Break makes stealing easier (or makes stealing the rare item easier, it's been a while). IIRC, the limit breaks are RNG as well.

Well how about the Demon's Ax? Surly that can be bought or found right? Right? Nope, crafted. You need two Black Wings (common drop), three Tachestone's (common drop) and one Grand Ax. You've got to be kiddi- wait, what?! You can buy this ax? Oh good.

that's more of an example of RNG done right tbh

the name's riley

As bad as RNG is, layered RNG is even worse. For example, in Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (amazing RPG, BTW totally worth a try, pretty long imo) end/post game sidequest requires you to craft a War God's Ax. Alright, end game weapon, how hard can it be? Well it requires a Demon's Ax, 5 Scroll's of Truth and 5 Kaleidostone's.

Alright, how do you get these items? Well the Scroll of Truth is a rare drop/steal, from rare enemies. Same with the Kaleidostone. You need five each. The fastest way to get them? A certain character has the Steal ability that only he has. His (in FF7 terms) Limit Break makes stealing easier (or makes stealing the rare item easier, it's been a while). IIRC, the limit breaks are RNG as well.

Well how about the Demon's Ax? Surly that can be bought or found right? Right? Nope, crafted. You need two Black Wings (common drop), three Tachestone's (common drop) and one Grand Ax. You've got to be kiddi- wait, what?! You can buy this ax? Oh good.

Not when item drop/steal rate, and enemy spawn rate are really low, like really really low.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Not when item drop/steal rate, and enemy spawn rate are really low, like really really low.

If it was required for the main quest I'd understand, but these sorts of things are standard in RPGs and they're where that sense of accomplishment comes in when your grinding pays off

the name's riley

If it was required for the main quest I'd understand, but these sorts of things are standard in RPGs and they're where that sense of accomplishment comes in when your grinding pays off

The last time I did any proper slogging-through a game was Final Fantasy 13, namely managing to defeat Vercingetorix and Long Gui.

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Doesn't matter, still a pet peeve of mine. Go bother someone else with their pet peeves.

Doesn't matter, still a pet peeve of mine. Go bother someone else with their pet peeves.

defensive, much?

i was just stating my thoughts

the name's riley

Allowing only one weapon per type - You see this in games like GTA or COD. I like to have variety with how I kill people, put it that way.

Games that hold your hand too hard - I'm not playing the game. i'm just doing what it tells me to do. Based on the gameplay vids i saw, Duke Nukem Forever is the example i can think of now

Having to open a menu to see the map - Fallout 3/New Vegas and Postal 2. As much as I like these games, pausing the game every other turn to see whether i'm on the right track is tedious. Having a minimap adds to the convenience factor.

Welp, now what?

Having to open a menu to see the map - Fallout 3/New Vegas and Postal 2. As much as I like these games, pausing the game every other turn to see whether i'm on the right track is tedious. Having a minimap adds to the convenience factor.

In regards to Fallout, I personally don't have many issues with the menu map. I'd much prefer a minimap but the location and quest markers of F 3/4/NV/etc were pretty self-evident, so usually I never have to look at the map unless I need to ascertain if I've fully inspected an interior space, especially if it's a cave or some other unevenly arranged interior. The latterday Fallout games tend to mostly consist of open areas and expansive outdoor spaces, which typically results in easy unhindered navigation. I found it was the same with most of the "holds" in Skyrim, with one major exception being The Reach and the city of Markarth. I don't mind admitting that it took me an embarrassingly long time to find my way to the city within it's jagged mountainous terrain. I was about level 28 when I first entered the region, in the process of finding my way around I must of levelled up three or four times.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Something that bothers me is when games give you no health bar. I don't really have a problem with Regenerating health in general, some games have regenerating health but also give you a health bar and it works really well! But in so many games you only see the screen get covered in blood and hear your character make orgasm noises until your health regenerates. It's not like it is more immersive that way either, it's just stupid.

Something that bothers me is when games give you no health bar. I don't really have a problem with Regenerating health in general, some games have regenerating health but also give you a health bar and it works really well! But in so many games you only see the screen get covered in blood and hear your character make orgasm noises until your health regenerates. It's not like it is more immersive that way either, it's just stupid.

Although I really enjoy walking simulator/first person horror games like SOMA and the ilk, I also would prefer to see a lifebar rather than having some vague on-screen "distortion" that only allows an indication of how bad a shape you're in. I suppose it's a way of ramping up the fear and tension in survival horror title, because it causes a momentary panic and one forgets to memorize what certain effects and levels of visual distortion/blood staining/colour muting/etc means in practical terms for you.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

I agree with the sentiment as well though I do think Soma is fine without it. Soma's health is pretty consistent in representation as normal, wounded, and of course dead. normal the screen is fine, wounded the character has a limp as well as, actually appropriate, screen decals; and dead is, well, dead. There's no regenerating health so where you stand on the wounded spectrum is pretty clear.

Retired Forum Moderator

I agree with the sentiment as well though I do think Soma is fine without it. Soma's health is pretty consistent in representation as normal, wounded, and of course dead. normal the screen is fine, wounded the character has a limp as well as, actually appropriate, screen decals; and dead is, well, dead. There's no regenerating health so where you stand on the wounded spectrum is pretty clear.

I will grant SOMA props for the death animation that fills the screen with roaring visual noise and disjointed flashes of a bleeding face. That was scary as balls.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Collectables. Now they can be done right (Not too many, nice reward(s) for collecting, maybe a few challenging ones) like in Psychonauts, or the GTA series. Or done poorly (shit ton, lame or no reward for colelcting, is the only thing to do besides the main story) Like the Assassin's Creed games, Saints Row 4, Spider-Man Web of Shadows. This one's the worst IMO.

There's only 1 thing to collect: Spider Emblem, and there's 2000 of them. In a big-ish open world. What do you get for collecting them all? Max level. What does max level do/mean in this game? Nothing really. Just increases your health and special meter, you wont notice a change really not until around level 8, and max level's 11.

People that try to tell you/expect to follow a certain path and do everything right immediately. How about I just play it myself in my own time and figure it out. The apocalypse is not gonna happen just because I did not 'do it right' or 'git gud' or whatever.

NPC's that walk slower than you run, and faster than you walk.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

NPC's that walk slower than you run, and faster than you walk.

Those are everywhere, and need to either speed up or slow down.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Online leaderboards.

"at least know how to cheat!"

Mainly this with PC games. Seriously, the races in Mirror's Edge Catalyst, the fastest times you'll find are 12 seconds or faster.

It annoys me to no end when people rush ahead without a care for others, just to see how quickly they'll pass a map or to just piss others off. This is supposed to be CO-OP, not an [insert game name here] version of Speedrunners!

Especially worst offenders are in Sven Co-op. I'm serious: the longer you play, the more likely you'll encounter an annoying speedrunner who finishes a map way before you even reach a halfway point.

Now, don't get me wrong: I'm not against speedruns. I do like them, actually; hence why Games Done Quick is awesome. HOWEVER, unless there is a server specifically for that, SPEEDRUNNING and CO-OP DO NOT MIX.

A.K.A. UberCatSR

Favorite game: Quake 1.

--------