Favourite Webcomics

PBF152-Scorpy_the_Forest_Friend.gif

Earlier today, something that ReverendUshankaCat posted in the funny pictures thread clued me into the fact that one of my alltime favourite webcomics called Perry Bible Fellowship was still very much alive and kicking despite my lack of attention. I'd stopped visiting the site due to a rather lengthy dry spell of updates, the last one I recall being titled Toad Race. If you aren't familiar with them (where have you been? ;p) PBF is a series of comical one-liners of the three/four panel tradition by a fellow named Nicholas Gurewitch, known absurdly high-quality and diverse art style reminiscent of children's book illustrations and jarringly morbid, cruel and cynical humour; it's well worth checking out if you've not already done so.

So on that convenient segway from some random regulars post to this topic, what are some of favourite webcomic series and serials? Both popular and obscure titles are welcome here, or maybe you even have your own webcomic that you could flagrantly post here in an act of utterly barefaced self-plugging, everything webcomic related belongs and is welcome here. Discuss the merits of particular cartoonists and series to your hearts content, praise or lambast other users for their discerning/deplorable tastes, and otherwise chat about good internet based comics. Please don't go off topic by bringing up actual paper and pulp comics and graphic novels. I like them as much as anyone else! But if you want to discuss those please make another thread for it. With further ado, here's some of my other favourite webcomics...

• Married to the Sea - By far the best usage of random archived etch prints and B&W clipart ever devised. The humour is rather hit n' miss but because there are a staggeringly enormous number of these you are bound to come across a few that make you laugh your lungs up, or at least raise a chuckle. The first time I happened upon the following instance of MTTS, it immediately became one of my most beloved images on the internet.
    comics-married-to-the-sea-auto-215557_zpsh74zf6hr.jpeg
  • ----
  • Toothpaste For Dinner/Natalie Dee - Before I forget, MTTS is created by a duo by the name of Drew and Natalie who both respectively have their own marvelously funny outlets.
    shave-that-unibrow_zpsrspyzaf7.gif
    hurry-and-spit-em-out_zps5f6twkwr.jpg
  • ----
  • Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal - I guess I just have a thing for one-panel "caption" comics with very quirky humour. SMBC is created by a gentleman named Zach Weinersmith (a name I feel was preordained to a comedic destiny) who shuffles between single image gags in the vein of Gary Larson's Far Side cartoons, and multiple panel "comicbook" stories for longer more dialogue heavy jokes. Simultaneously amusing and thought provoking, some of his comics put a smile on my stupid face no matter how many times I read them. I love the following example so much that I had it printed on a t-shirt a few years back.
    20030103-2_zpsilleiin3.gif

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Thank you for sharing this SelfSurprise, I think I've found myself some more entertainment.

qel2q9y.gif

"One small step for man, One giant leap for a midget!"

- Robbaz

My favourite webcomic, a fantasy story kind of thing.

http://twokinds.keenspot.com

Don't judge it too harshly at first sight... You really need to get into it to understand a few things about it.

Another fantasy story with very interesting designs...

http://zoophobiacomic.com

But unfortunately there hasn't been an update to this in ages.

My own dodgy webcomic:

http://jeb-cc.deviantart.com/gallery/52530116/The-Nova-Universe-Comic-Series

It's in a pause at the moment because I'm trying to focus on end of school year work. But once I'm graduated, I want to devote all of my time to this. The art style is all over the place, and the quality isn't great. But I'm using the comic as a way to be better at drawing, and you can see the progress I've made and the style I've developed, even in just the few pages I have made. So, sorry for the shite quality. It's supposed to be shit. You can't get better unless you make mistakes!

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

I'm glad I could re-introduce you to PBF, Selfie! I have a few more webcomics too:

• Cyanide & Happiness is updated daily and now has over 4400 comics, and some popular series on YouTube!

I-heard-Allison-Brie-went-to-a-college-where-clothing-was-optional.-Unrelated,-but-Im-thinking-of-pursuing-a-liberal-arts-degree..png

boost.png

• Muffin Explosion on DeviantArt hasn't had any activity in a long time, but still has a few comics that I remember fondly from my brony days.

another_day_in_ponyville_by_muffinexplosion-d5jvj5i.jpg

• Literally Unbelievable is not really a webcomic, but I think it still deserves a mention, as it's a collection of some of the best tweets and facebook posts etc. of people misunderstanding satire and joke news (like the Onion).

tumblr_o202xjPHWU1qkt6yoo1_540.png

Rock Cocks: An NSFW comic about rockstar sex

Starfighter: An NSFW comic about gay space sex

Boku Girl: An NSFW manga about a boy who gets turned in to a girl

ending is garbage, if you really wanna read this i'd stop at like chapter 17 since it may as well end there.

the name's riley

Thanks for the posts so far ladies and gents! Ever since making this thread it's rekindled some of my old love for webcomics and I'm slowly getting in touch with my old favourites and discovering some new stuff along the way. I just want to say thanks again for the contributions. By the way, you don't have to put your images in spoiler tags if you don't want to. I suppose it's the right thing to do if you are posting an enormous or potentially contentious image (though in the latter case, linking might be more prudent) but just be clear you don't to hide your images here.

icon_lol.gif"What did you see?!". It's easy to overlook xkcd because of parred down the aesthetics are, it's almost overt in its stick-figure celluar obviousness. That belies a snappy, snarky and unfailingly clever sense of humour.

physicists_zpsrfs6fv4f.png

Thank you for sharing this SelfSurprise, I think I've found myself some more entertainment.

qel2q9y.gif

Nice find Aphotic! I have a slight preference for the gags featuring historical images over the B&W clipart ones, mostly the humour tends towards the amusingly stupid in the former over the latter. I like the way they often take advantage of the illustrations relative realism (or lack thereof) to make bizarre jokes at its expense. That and the characters gestures and expressions somehow seem to uncannily suit the unsuitably modern dialogue. Here's one recent one that made me chuckle as well as one of my alltime favourites from 2006, which still makes me laugh like a moron every time I see it.

can-you-believe-this-shit_zpsg75s9igz.gif

left-titty_zpsydznbqqv.gif

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Scandinavia and the World (link: http://satwcomic.com/)

example:

how-could-it-possibly-go-wrong.png

And of course polandball (or countryballs or whatever they call it. Fuck it, they started as polandball so they stay so)

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

I might as well mention two more of my favourites whilst I'm here. The first is Wondermark, which like Married To The Sea employs vintage illustration in it's webcomics. The humour tends towards the cerebral but more often than not cleverly undermines its learned leanings with a delightful amount of silliness and sacred cow bashing. The second is a series that been going on-and-off since 2002 and is (rather aptly) titled Irregular Webcomic. It predominantly features a recurring cast of Lego figurines across different franchises, as well as various fantasy/sci fi miniatures and numerous appearances of the comics author. It's archive it pretty enormous at this point and also filled with some of the most embarrassingly geeky humour you'll ever come across, but I cherish it like a loved one so please be kind.

2016-09-06-1250cat_zpsxdsjcpvh.png

irreg0984_zpsu1wbwxjc.jpg

I'm planning on making a few Top 10 style lists for these series on the thread at some point. Let me know which particular webcomics you would like to see more of and I'll curate what I consider to be the funniest examples of a particular comic.

example:

And of course polandball (or countryballs or whatever they call it. Fuck it, they started as polandball so they stay so)

icon_lol.gif I love how that sheep things cheerful expression doesn't change at all.

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Homestuck_Book_1.jpg

Don't even get me started man. :P

To be honest, I didn't really like this one. I like the concept of it, it's incredibly original. But it's so confusing and it feels like you need to put a lot of your time into it to understand it and enjoy it. I have respect towards anyone who can actually figure out what's going on. XD

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

example:

icon_lol.gif I love how that sheep things cheerful expression doesn't change at all.

That sheep is New Zealand :D

Here's another one:

good-business.png

Jack O'Neill: "You know Teal'c, if we dont find a way out of this soon, im gonna lose it. Lose it... it means go crazy. nuts. insane. bonzo. no longer in possession of ones faculties. 3 fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!!!!!!!!"

Homestuck_Book_1.jpg

Can't see the image

Homestuck.

-------

I have respect towards anyone who can actually figure out what's going on. XD

I kind of did, but there are still some black spots for me, to be honest XD

Yes, I also read it. To the end. ihavenolife

A.K.A. UberCatSR

Favorite game: Quake 1.

--------

tellin-people-to-exercise.gif

That sheep is New Zealand :D

Here's another one:

good-business.png

Norway is so metal that crosses invert themselves upon crossing it's borders... :3

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Homestuck_Book_1.jpg

Can't see the image

It seems to be working on my end, so maybe it's just your computer?

As already pointed out, it's Homestuck. God I love that comic. :D

I never mentioned, regarding the Wondermark comics, some of the amusing and prescient titles each new update is given.

#346; In which This is Life, now

346%20in%20which%20this%20is%20life%20now_zpsz66wvspw.gif

#245; In which Misfortune is Heralded

245%20in%20which%20misfortune%20is%20heralded_zpsjiquemvx.gif

#301; In which Hair Growth is Noticed

301%20in%20which%20hair%20growth%20is%20noted_zps7msjlomk.gif

#266; In which Rascals Attempt to Woo

266%20in%20which%20rascals%20attempt%20to%20woo_zpsiajtlre5.gif

#533; In which Public Opinion is Leveraged

533%20in%20which%20public%20opinion%20is%20leveraged_zpsl8hyzomb.gif

in dying whispers -

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Homestuck_Book_1.jpg

To be honest, I didn't really like this one. I like the concept of it, it's incredibly original. But it's so confusing and it feels like you need to put a lot of your time into it to understand it and enjoy it. I have respect towards anyone who can actually figure out what's going on. XD

Oh, I have some rants ready for Homestuck.

So I'm basically an MSPA hipster. I've been reading Homestuck since Homestuck was Problem Sleuth.

And I really loved HS when it first started. It was this whole cool thing that just kept getting bigger and better and getting really crazy.

And then the trolls happened.

I mean, don't get me wrong, they're hilarious. Really fun, interesting characters.

But man did they kill the story. It went from being this cool existential journey to a stupid Tumblr-level ship-fest.

By the end of the comic, it all just snowballed into mediocrity, and after the multi-year breaks, I just couldn't get myself to care anymore.

I keep thinking I should re-read it so that I can watch the ending while actually still remembering the rest of the story, but I can't get myself to do it. It just kinda feels firmly in my past at this point.

Maybe I should re-read Problem Sleuth instead. It certainly would be a lot faster, at least. And a lot tighter in scope, at that.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!