French RIots and the Control of Information

Sign in to follow this  

I find it interesting that, at least in my experience, most of the coverage for the riots happening in France is dead in water. So much more weight is being on Trump's latest buffoonery that you'd have to scroll to page 3 for news about the situation in Paris, but if this was a colored revolution in a vilified country on the other side of the (figurative) world it will splattered across every headline.   

We're living in the information age. What does that mean, really? Can the flow of history be shaped by gag orders and rhetoric?

Edited by Im_CIA (see edit history)

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

It's mostly due to the fact that domestic news holds much higher priority over foreign news. When Trump acts like a jackass that affects me a great deal more than when Macron acts like a jackass, since I'm an American, not a Parisian.

That said, Macron is a jackass. Better than Le Pen but still a jackass.

the name's riley

Hmm, but do you remember how much coverage the Arab Spring received? That wasn't domestic. 

Maybe this is the onset of paranoid schizophrenia, but I believe that globalization has laid the groundwork for consolidated narratives , which can sweep away all other dissenting voices, to form organically. 

I'll correct myself there, domestic OR important domestically.

I think there's been a proportional increase in the scope of the France riots along with the amount of people on this end of the world figuring out what's happening.

the name's riley

Yeah, after watching this go on for a few weeks, I think you're right. 

Or maybe *they* finally got to me.

The riots are honestly, genuinely inspiring to me. I wish something nearly to their scope would happen over here in the states.

I'm hoping the working class is seeing what's going on over in France and realizing how much power they have in numbers, but I'm not holding my breath.

the name's riley

Something like that did happen, but the groups that control the media used the absolute worst examples of the movements as their "shining example" in order to downplay them into irrelevance. It worked because people generally don't give a shit unless you're an extremist on their side, anyone else be damned.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

On 12/17/2018 at 3:36 PM, BTGBullseye said:

Something like that did happen, but the groups that control the media used the absolute worst examples of the movements as their "shining example" in order to downplay them into irrelevance. It worked because people generally don't give a shit unless you're an extremist on their side, anyone else be damned.

Well, rather than downplaying them to irrelevance, the media has essentially villainized Antifa to the point where there's much more misinformation out there about it than genuine discussion. The narrative has been driven to a "rioting and political violence is evil" narrative despite those very concepts being important to the foundation and social/political advancements of this nation. The spirit of civil unrest has all but disappeared in this country and all we have left are bootlickers. It's saddening.

the name's riley

On 12/17/2018 at 4:36 PM, BTGBullseye said:

Been seeing that in various forms over the years.

"I don't trust a man that doesn't have something strange going on about him, cause that means he's hiding it from you. If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you. But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive." -No-bark Noonan

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 65 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.