Internet Explorer 9

Sign in to follow this  

Is anyone else here on Windows 7 x64 who has problems installing this thing?

I downloaded the correct version from Microsoft's website and then ran the installer. So far so good. But now it tells me I have to close pretty much all programs running, from IM programs to explorer.exe itself. That is weird. I have a choice between ignoring this warning and rebooting the computer after the install or forcing Windows to close these tasks. I tried the latter first. Now things started to go to hell. The installation bar starts moving but around 1/5th of the way through I notice my mouse and keyboard stop responding. Considering how ridiculously slow the install is it is hard to see whether the progress bar is moving at all. After waiting a while I give up and force reboot.

Let's try this again. I reach the window again where I am asked on how to deal with some running tasks. This time I choose to ignore them. The same shit happens.

One more time? All right, fine. I fire up the installer. This time, before choosing to ignore the running tasks I close them all manually. Every single one. After clicking 'Refresh' the list is COMPLETELY blank. That SHOULD do the trick right? Wrong. This time the mouse freezes as usual, but the progress bar moves steadily, now it is only a millimetre away from the finish line. Promising! 5 minutes pass and it is still standing there staring at the wall a millimetre in front of it. Reboot. Again.

To put this into perspective here I am installing a fucking BROWSER. Firefox was a setup file few MBs in size. I could choose the install location and the install took a few seconds at most. No reboots needed. No bullshit. It worked right away and very well I must say. Internet Explorer 9? Wants everything turned off and even then there is a good chance a reboot is necessary afterwards. Progress bar is sandwich-making slow. I could probably make two of them, as a matter of fact. The install window does not give any clues whatsoever on what the flying fuck is taking so long. There is not even a cancel or abort button. What about the cute little X button at the top right of all windows you ask? This window does not have it.

Are 3rd parties really this much better at designing software than Microsoft, the company behind the operating system that powers them? What the fuck takes minutes during a software installation? Why do programs need to be closed? Why can't Microsoft, FOR ONCE, design a piece of software that is lightweight and modestly tied to the operating system?

I am done with this crap from my end of the stick. IE 9 can go to hell, I don't care. Firefox and IE 8 work just fine for me. If you do have a solution or workaround to my problem then I am willing to give it one more shot, but then I'm done.

I found this article, made by someone who was also in pain over installing IE 9 on W7 64 bits.

http://blackmarketserver.com/blog/2011/03/16/fix-internet-explorer-did-not-finish-installing-problems

There are a couple of things you could try, such as running as administrator, installing the SP1... and finally formatting

I hope that helps.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

I have Win7 x64...

It gave me trouble until I uninstalled most of the Dell shitware they load up on all their systems. Even had to remove the shitty McAfee AV they preloaded on it. (it kept blocking the install since it affects some vital OS files)

Turning off UAC helped immensely too.

My total install time was <5 min.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

NOD32 installed here, I didn't think that might cause problems. I'll look into that.

No shitware present on my computer except necessary evils like GfWL. Self-built from individual parts.

I'll try some more tomorrow. I'm out of steam for tonight. But thanks for the suggestions guys, I appreciate them.

I am running Windows 7 x64, and IE9 installed fast and without a hitch (no keyboard/mouse freezing or anything like that). Could it be that your PC has some sort of malware that is manipulating programs in the background and hindering the installation of IE9? It might explain the strange performance drain and lack of errors

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I am running Windows 7 x64, and IE9 installed fast and without a hitch (no keyboard/mouse freezing or anything like that). Could it be that your PC has some sort of malware that is manipulating programs in the background and hindering the installation of IE9? It might explain the strange performance drain and lack of errors

And the request to close explorer.exe.

I know every single one of the 57 tasks currently running in the background. And if there was malware injected into system files (It would need to get through Defender, NOD32 and UAC first.) then there would be a whole lot more problems with stability than just installing one particular update. SP1 installed fine. Dozens of security updates installed fine. So did GfWL and WLM. This is likely a problem with my OS installation in particular. Or perhaps my software configuration, it might not like a specific service even if it doesn't specifically say it.

A simple google search reveals that I'm definitely not the only one who runs into problems installing this update. Nowhere do I see a mention of malware, but a lot of different solutions, one being a reformat, which I wouldn't do even at gunpoint.

And BTG, IE is designed to interact with WE and vice versa, to me it seems very likely it needs to be closed during a big update to the browser. It is nothing new when Microsoft integrate their software deeply into the operating system.

When I updated to IE9, it did not require I close Explorer.

When I updated to IE9, it did not require I close Explorer.

Same.

IE9 has no interaction with Explorer, I can run IE9 with or without Explorer even existing on my system. (I just sent it to the recycle bin, and ended the process tree to test that out)

It finally installed after disabling the real-time malware protection. I did not need to close any programs (I chose to ignore the list of running tasks it complained about.) but I did need to reboot, which pretty much equals having to close running tasks to finalize an installation.

...Or just install Firefox 4

You mean Google Chrome...

You mean that thing that infects and ruins your computer? Nope

No, I mean the one browser that doesn't come with features that 99.9% of the users of the program will never use.

Crap! I have a Google Chrome

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

No, I mean the one browser that doesn't come with features that 99.9% of the users of the program will never use.

0_o Like? EXAMPLES!

Without add-ons Firefox seems fairly bare-bones to me.

I installed IE 9 because it was a recommended Windows update, plus I sometimes use IE if Firefox doesn't play well with certain websites.

But holy crap IE 9 is fast. Webpages in their ready form almost pop up like folder windows. I will be going to FF 4 at some point, we'll see how it competes.

Without add-ons Firefox seems fairly bare-bones to me.

I installed IE 9 because it was a recommended Windows update, plus I sometimes use IE if Firefox doesn't play well with certain websites.

But holy crap IE 9 is fast. Webpages in their ready form almost pop up like folder windows. I will be going to FF 4 at some point, we'll see how it competes.

Should try Chrome first. (it IS the fastest, and makes IE9 look like it's taking forever in comparison)

I was initially put off by Chrome because I do not like things updating without telling me. On a slow internet connection in the middle of an online game, surreptitious unannounced automatic updates can be very frustrating.

However I believe I have managed to successfully disable them through registry editing. I resorted to Chrome after Firefox's lag and bloat (even in Firefox 4) drove me mad.

Since using Chrome, I've found it to be a pretty decent browser. I have Adblock running, but no Noscript equivalent yet. However pages load fast, the browser doesn't freeze, and it doesn't consume over 1GB memory after it's been left open for a day or so.

I think right now the only thing I don't like about Chrome is the fact that I can't scroll along my tabs at the top like in Firefox, it likes to squash them all together, and I tend to be someone who keeps a fair few tabs open.