noclip.website - 3D Game Maps in your Browser

Earlier today a good friend recommended that I check out noclip.website.  I subsequently spent several hours exploring several game maps from my childhood in ways I haven't seen them before.

It's still a very active project and the developer is active and approachable on their discord.  I figured given Ross's penchant for mapping out games and appreciating their environments this sort of thing must be right up his alley.

They're still adding things but what's there is pretty immense already.  I highly recommend checking out Dark Souls, Super Mario Sunshine, and Kingdom Hearts.

15 hours ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

I honestly would rather have the maps locally. Once the website shuts down, that's a lot of content that's just plain gone.

Also a lot of these games are pretty mainstream, and some of my favourite levels come from far less known games. Anything that's made by Nintendo, I tend not to care too much about, seeing as I've never been into their games that much. I think it would be cooler if we had the whole Dungeon Siege map, or similar stuff.

There's a handful of interesting games not made by Nintendo that I was pretty keen to check out since I've never seen their maps before (Klonoa, Kingdom Hearts, Dark Souls) and they seem to be expanding.  They also seem pretty welcoming to requests and submissions on their Discord.

As for the content disappearing I'm not terribly concerned about that since it's all content that can be experienced in other forms (such as from the games they originally come from) but a lot of the files being used and their methods of extraction aren't being kept terribly secret either.  I'd similarly prefer something local just because I prefer dedicated apps to doing everything on shitty unoptimized web browsers, but given how open and receptive the guy behind this is I don't think we're in a lot of danger of him suddenly pulling the plug and saying, "This content is lost forever with the server and I will never let anybody else host/download it."

Interesting how judging by the Dark Souls map files, parts of certain areas seem to reveal bits and pieces that don't exist in the final product. From Firelink Shrine, for example, you can go up to the part of Undead Burg just before the first bonfire (where all the fight clubs and such are held), and you can find that there's a building at the top of the ramp and scaffolding at the base of it that aren't actually there once you reach it.

the name's riley