A stupid idea.

Sign in to follow this  

I had a bit of an idea that involves taking all of the old games that don't get produced, distributed, sold, or even get noticed or care by the developer or publisher, and placing it on a community made and community run service. Sort of like Steam but without taking games off the storefront that are just old or don't get noticed, as well as not needing to really pay for them. The companies aren't making money off these old games anyway. Think of it like this. A company has all of their games that they have released. Think of those games as the materials used to make a pair of pants. Over time the company gets a new pair and they don't come with that material (the game that they got money off of). They don't care about it because A: its not making them money cause they aren't releasing it anymore, and B: They have new things that are making them money. This service could have games refitted for newer systems, updating the games to have new features like keyboard and mouse or controller settings. Let me know what you think and feel free to put ideas onto the current stuff. I feel like it's a good idea.  

Sounds a lot like gog in it's early days.

now there's another site I recently heard about here that does that but I don't want to post it here so i don't get banned again :(

Edited by kerdios (see edit history)

Burn the World!

22 minutes ago, kerdios said:

Sounds a lot like gog in it's early days.

now there's another site I recently heard about here that does that but I don't want to post it here so i don't get banned again :(

Would you be referring to ThePirateBay?

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I don't really mean it to be abandonware sites or pirate sites. Something more like a game service but isn't dangerous in the sense that you could get malware, but instead a game that works, and doesn't require 500 steps to get the game working. IE patch it with this patch and download these drivers. Plus pirating something like an old Atari game I feel wouldn't really be considered by anyone as pirating. Its like a person pirating a beta-max or laserdisc. Something sorta like how Half Life 2 beta build community works or things like the internet archive. My idea is to have it be more fleshed out.

7 hours ago, BTGBullseye said:

Would you be referring to ThePirateBay?

nope

is pming game sharing sites allowed?

Edited by kerdios (see edit history)

Burn the World!

On 12/26/2019 at 8:46 PM, TheGmodNugget said:

pirating something like an old Atari game I feel wouldn't really be considered by anyone as pirating. Its like a person pirating a beta-max or laserdisc.

Since the old Atari has been split and bought by either Hasbro or Warner Bros, there is a very real threat of legal intervention over those old games. (more so from Hasbro)

The fact is, there aren't really any services out there that will give you free copyrighted stuff with no effort on the part of the user, especially if the companies that originally held the copyright still exist. All it takes is a small filing fee on the part of the ex-copyright holder (yes, even if the software is legally abandonware, which is no longer able to be copywritten) to bankrupt the majority of the people that would want to do it in the first place. (this has been done quite a lot for various things in the past 20 years)

On 12/27/2019 at 3:46 AM, kerdios said:

is pming game sharing sites allowed?

Don't see why it wouldn't be... It's not like it's illegal...

13 hours ago, BTGBullseye said:

Don't see why it wouldn't be... It's not like it's illegal...

Turns out I don't know how to pm in this forum...

Burn the World!

6 hours ago, kerdios said:

Turns out I don't know how to pm in this forum...

Hover the cursor over the username, wait for the popup, click "message".