Microsoft bought Bethesda

Well, Zenimax has been doing poorly for a long time now financially, and Microsoft has a history of buying those sort of companies. They also tend not to mess around with the actual dev groups that much. (meaning they tend not to destroy games they buy)

Hopefully this will result in increased funding for the next Bethesda RPG they've been planning since last year that is supposed to be less fantasy, and set in space. (and singleplayer only as of its announcement)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

13 hours ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

i mean one day microsoft could wake up and charge us 59.99$ just for the privilege of being able to download stuff on windows

They wouldn't though. That would instantly result in monopoly lawsuits that would literally bankrupt the company, and all the upper management involved in that decision. (not exaggerating either)

Apparently this was a purchase of 7.5 billion.

What is Microsoft going to do to recoup that price tag? Are we going to see a huge flurry of AAA Video games in the early 20s now? A revival of dead series - ZeniMax had Arkane, id, MachineGames, Tango.... That's The Evil Within, new WolfensteinDishonored, Prey, Arx Fatalis, Doom, Quake, Rage, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout....

And hell this means Microsoft has like, 40% of the 'game market'? If I'm saying that right? We're getting near monopoly turf.

Edited by Eshanas (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

it's not about them literally doing that, but one day they might end up doing something very anti consumer when we least expect it, so we should be on guard, i mean the law is clearly not working, just look at coca cola, most media companies, and just how fake the whole thing is, they make you believe that you have a real choice, by giving you the illusion of choice, like hey, you could buy a coca cola, or a fanta, but in the end, all the money goes to the same company anyway

also car companies are apparently charging money for actual DLC, for freakin cars

the law won't protect us, not if the law can just be bought out - i would be very afraid of the future, it's a grim one

i'm pretty sure 7.5 billion is nothing to microsoft, i mean they are a trillion dollar worth company, this is really nothing to them

Oh, sure, but someone is going to try to recoup and make a profit off of this. Microsoft ain't a charity, they have plans, even if it's just 'adding a new revenue stream to buff up our yearly profit'. And the only way they can do that is to make and sell product.

On 9/25/2020 at 4:12 PM, RaTcHeT302 said:

i actually have no idea who Zenimax is as a company

It was the publishing branch of Bethesda. They split off to be a parent company just before TESO was announced.

Considering how badly Bethi's recent titles were and considering that I loathe (with a hell bent passion) their only recent game that was considered quite successful (DOOM Eternal) this is extraordinarily mediocre, meh kinda not so bad it's almost good news.

Now, for the first time ever I am curious how Starfield and my beloved yet dead Frankenstein carcass of Elder Scrolls will turn out eventually.
Imagine for a second if Epic, EA, Activision or Ubi would have bought it... Or warnerbros. Bwhahahah... The end, basically.

Microsoft is bad, but it's at least bad with an occasional consumer friendly cherry on top.
What they do with accessibility is actually kinda heartwarming for example. I mean it would be, if sub-zero temperature wouldn't be normal working temp for my heart nowadays...

And I am regularly using the xBlox Game Pass to play with it being only occasionally horrible. Not like Bethi's client.
Besides Microsoft seems to bring most Xblox exclusive titles to PC now.
Yeah, it's a typical case of: It could have been so much worse it's actually probably for the best...

Addendum:

in a perfect world they would just fire Todd Howard so he has to ask Peter Molyneux for a position and then they can lie together. (Pun intended)

Edited by Konrad (see edit history)