From a new Minecraft blog post: If you don't make an account with Microsoft, we will take your game from you.

"Now just to be clear, migrating from Mojang to Microsoft accounts is mandatory. If you don’t make the move, in several months you won’t be able to log in anymore – which means you won’t be able to play either. But no need to worry, because we’ll give you detailed and clear instructions on how to do so. You’ll get the information you need through this site, an FAQ on our support page, videos on our YouTube channel, and even emails straight to your inbox."

Full blog post here: https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/java-edition-moving-house

Edited by Stalker (see edit history)

"Now just to be clear, migrating from Mojang to Microsoft accounts is mandatory. If you don’t make the move, in several months you won’t be able to log in anymore – which means you won’t be able to play either. But no need to worry, because we’ll give you detailed and clear instructions on how to do so. You’ll get the information you need through this site, an FAQ on our support page, videos on our YouTube channel, and even emails straight to your inbox."

That sounds like a threat. 

"I don't trust a man that doesn't have something strange going on about him, cause that means he's hiding it from you. If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you. But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive." -No-bark Noonan

So, they're just getting rid of the server that is hosting the Minecraft accounts because it's ancient, and people are losing their minds over it being labeled differently on the new server? Sounds pretty typical of anti-Microsoft people.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

On 10/24/2020 at 5:09 AM, RaTcHeT302 said:

microsoft is a trillion dollar worth company, i don't see why i have to treat them nicely

they won't hesitate to screw people like me over, so i have no regrets about calling them out on their bullshit

If you don't like it, just grab the Java version free... Microsoft really doesn't care about that happening. RTX is the only real reason to not get the Java version.

17 hours ago, MrVT said:

There's a pretty popular RTX shader going around for the Java version which in many people's eyes is better than the official Bedrock RTX, I can't talk on it myself because I don't have a good card to try either but it is a thing, really Java is just better overall but this doesn't take away that a Microsoft account is something many people still don't want. It's just an inconvenience though...

I know, I use an older version of that mod on an older version of Minecraft right now. 5700XT can still run it at 30FPS when it's not raining, but the raytracing radius is only about 3 chunks despite the render distance of 32. That is something I think the RTX version corrects. (render distance is the same as raytracing distance, I think)