Meltdown

Sign in to follow this  

I'm letting people know the next FM episode is going to be a little delayed. I've had sort of a perfect storm of things go wrong. First, Otto, the audio editor that assists me, had his hard drive completely fail on him, so he was unable to help on this episode, which adds to the time for me to do it myself.

Second, my system got hit by some sort of virus that hosed my whole OS. I spent most of this weekend just trying to fix it. I didn't lose any important files, but I still have a ton of software I need to reinstall, so I'm trying to catch up. For those that are interested, I've had this sort of thing happen before using AVG as a virus scanner, this time I was using Avast. Since it failed me, I'm going to try out Antivir this time, which is supposedly one of the better antivirus programs out there. This is actually an extremely rare occurrence for me, I can count on one hand the number of times a virus has taken down my OS before.

Anyway, I'll get the next FM episode done as soon as I can, then I hope to catch up on some of the subtitles after that.

Actually I DID have to reformat my hard drive, I could have saved myself some time if I hadn't tried to save the OS first. I backed up the files I needed first though (and will be rescanning them before I do anything).

I also do burn files to DVD periodically once they're organized, and I use a mirror RAID array. My files are fine, it's my OS and software I use that got hammered.

Such a shame. I hope you can get your comp back to order soon, Ross!

Hey Ross, great to see that your computer will be good. I was wondering if you have tryed Norton. It alerted me of countless virus's and spy ware. Expecily when i used my comp for my work. It alerted me of a keylogger that could of ruined me. Good luck

Ah bad luck Ross! Anyway thanks for the info!

AVG can't scan all the virus i warn you. My friend says one type of Norton blocks virus good although can't scan well. Have to try the PC-Cillin, if it still exist here.

are you thinking about doing another fm season 2 so half live 2 ? it would be good i you did that ? so i really hope you do.And also you should do ross scott dvd with cvil .p and fm. so keep it up .

Anonymous: I don't think NOD32 is free though, which kind of drives me away from it.

Anonymous: This wasn't twice in a row, nor the same virus. The AVG incident was about a year ago or more.

Anonymous: The whole process definitely had me swearing a few times, particularly with Nvidia's RAID drivers and Creative's soundcard ones.

Anonymous: I'm too much of a gamer to switch to something besides Windows (or used to be anyway). I've tried moving to Linux in the past, but found it too difficult to use (not for simple things, but for trying to install and run the dozens of programs I use). Also I care too much about hardware and bang for the buck to even consider a Mac. I'm not a Windows zealot, I just see it as picking a lesser evil.

Lomoco: Well that one wasn't really intentional actually.

Draco_2k: The mirror RAID I have is more to protect against hard drive failures.

why is everyone asking about subtitles? do they not have any speakers or something? it seems like just a waste of time otherwise.

You should use Zone-Alarm protection suite. (~$50) I've had it for years on XP, never any problems virus or malware wise. But Good luck getting every thing back together! I can be patient.

Antivir is hte best we install it on PC's we repair for free in our tech lab.

Too bad ):

Ross, subtitles page is down (you know that but, I like to repeat things to people )

Anyway...Good luck and I reccomend you NOD32,scan is awesome and it detects everything...Its awesome...You can get it free...But original software is pretty cool...(If you can pay hundreds)...

Good luck ,take care

Hey Ross Scott, I have a question regarding your videos. On YouTube, it's possible to find a mountain of video series in Machinima's profile, but why do you only post FM and CP on this website? Excuse me if my question sounds silly, but I'm a newbie.

ok, so its not just me? my system got wiped too. can ur computer still play sound? some kind of hardware that makes my speakers work got lost, i dont know what to do. if u can, give me some advice on what to do.

send to my XBL gamertag xxwarwolfxx, or if u dont have XBL, post another comment

Ross, I have had the same problem before. I had a brand new (oh yay) virus hit my computer that took Microsoft's tech team 4 days of mind numbingly annoying phone calls and waits to get fixed. I lost control of my OS, and thought I was going to have to reinstall it but managed to save it with some free scans Microsoft had me run.

malwarebytes.org has a fantastic free version that I have twice now cleaned up peoples computers and at least doubled or tripled their speed (old, oooold computers) by removing viruses and crap most scanners can't find. If you'd like (for future reference) I can dig up some of the other stuff I wrote down that they sent me to, although obviously its too late now....

Take your time on FM. It is like anything now a days, anything good takes time. so if it takes you a month, it takes you a month. i only care on the quality, not quantity.

I don't understand how you all manage to get viruses. Do you seriously just click any link someone gives to you?

Ever since I got my new computer I haven't used any Anti-Virus software and haven't had a problem for years.

My old computer used to run terribly (Slow to boot, always alt tabbing me out of my games because it wants to scan or update, making everything take 2 or 3 times longer to start) because I had Anti-Virus software installed, and not once did it pick up a virus.

"It's worthless, forget about it!" -Vince

dude, u shud use nod32, its the ultimate anti virus. i use it and Ive only ever gotten 1 virus

That's cool Ross, I love Freeman's Mind, and just appreciate the effort you put in to making it. I also just recently discovered "Civil Protection", and love it as well, but understand it takes a lot longer to manufacture episodes of that. Anyways, keep up the great work!

when selecting a virus software, dont choose Norton AntiVirus, NOD32, or AVG.

i actually had this problem a few weeks ago and have since switched to "avast!" and so far everything is working fine...

anyway good luck fixing this problem! looking forward to the next FM episode!