Meltdown

Sign in to follow this  

Nice to hear you didn't lose anything important. You should try ESET Smart Security, it blocks EVERYTHING. I haven't had a problem with viruses, adware, etc ever since I got it.

Cheers,

Kon

@ klikeforpresident: if you know anything about that Ubuntu server thing you were talking about, or know where to send me about that, please tell me, as im interested in doing such a thing with my old PC here that is soon to be reformatted in a server configuration. Any help at all would be interested. And to Ross, keep trudging through, you make great work, and even top artists have major and minor setbacks such as this. Cheers mate 0 /

I hope everything sorts its self out with your system. Look forward to seeing the next FM soon.

Quoting Anonymous:

"why is everyone asking about subtitles? do they not have any speakers or something? it seems like just a waste of time otherwise."

Not all the people in the world are English, did you notice? Ok, I have a FCE certificate, so I can speak pretty well English, and understand it of course, but even now I don't understand some sentences in Ross's machinimas. That's why I (and I'm not the only one, I guess) need subtitles, to enjoy these great machinimas at 100%. It's so annoying for you?

Ross,

You should give something like Kaspersky a try for anti-virus. Its a pay program, but I have been very impressed with it. I went through all the free programs like Avast, AVG, and Antivir, but none did me much good. I even had some of the better pay ones on my box and the best Ive found that is fairly user friendly is Kaspersky. You could always just go the Nod32 route...

Hey Ross, when you get your system back up and installed, try taking an image of your system and leaving that on a backup disk. Symantec has a "ghost" application which does an excellent job for that.

Unlucky on getting that virus dude, hope you get it all going soon!

hey ross, take your time man. i had same issues on my computer. now i have the computer that i work on which never sees the internets, just for work. and i have an old ass amd 64 that i use for the interwebs, don't care if it crashes, got three small hardrives on it and three os's, one fails format use the other one. good luck

Oh Ross, I'm sorry this has happened to you. In your words of Mind of Freeman.

"Murphy's Law, has failed me yet again!"

Hope for the best in regards to your computer and time spent with these vids. Keep it up.

You take your time dude ive had viruses before and there FUCKING BULLSHIT ive had to wipe my whole drive like 4-5 times >:( bastardy virus maker peoples

Hey Ross try using McAfee(I'm not sure how you spell it) it has never failed me yet, and i look foward to seeing the next FM 14 i bet it will be great

Try ESET Smart Security (http://www.eset.com/smartsecurity/).

It contains antivirus, firewall, anitspam and antispyware software in one pack.

I´ve used AVG and that is very weak antivirus. BUT, much wors that is AVG is Avast. Really, delete it from your HDD! Power users says "It´s virus" about Avast and It´s not so much antivirus really.

For year I´ve used Avast I have some many viruses and problems. After year I´ve tryied ESET Smart Security and by that time I had no problems with viruses.

Using it over three years and really, no problems.

GL

@Hypnotek and klikeforpresident. Share the knowledge! I am very interested!!

It could have been worse.

You could have rushed an episode into production saying that you were quitting FM.

Or you could have lost everything to a virus.

Or you could have been in a horrible bike accident and become mute.

Any number of those things and more

klikeforpresident is right. And I think you should install two operating systems. A winXP for playing and editing, and a linux for browsing the internet, mailing, uploading. It's just an advice.

Aww, sorry to hear that. It's kinda strange Windows suddenly fails on a lot of computers. My monitor simply stopped working so i had to swich to linux :S Good luck on restoring everything, i know how annoying it can be...

Ross, are you aware, that download links for Freeman's Mind 5th and 6th episodes from machinima.com are down?

I love all your work, so sad to hear, that you have this setback. Well, happens... We can wait a bit longer, no biggy ;]

Good luck fixing your PC ross. Also have you heard of black measa scource? Its a HL2 mod that completely remakes HL1. in concept that sounds retarted but it would sure make freemans mind look alot better. by the trailer's look of things it is shapeing up for a realease sometime later this year. http://www.blackmesasource.com/

for all interested

McAfee has given me 0 problems, if the new antivirus software u have doesnt do the trick you should really give them a try