Meltdown

Sign in to follow this  

Good to hear you didn't have to re-format your hard-drive. Hope to see the new FM soon. Might want to back up some of your more important files on DVD or something, too.

Yeah if you have an external drive it might be a good idea to put some files safely stored there.

hey ross, why not just set up a Ubuntu server with ClamAV and Iptables installed and wire all of your internet connection through that? That way all of the packets get scanned and any viruses will get stopped before they reach your computer?

Oh, no! Good luck getting everything set back up. I hate it when that kind of thing happens.

Rossdude, take your time.

Good luck with anything.

NOD32 is probably a better antivirus option...

NOD 32 is not only better, but BEST one... as proven by lots of tests and rewievs

same kind of virus twice? sounds fishy. If the virusscanner didn't warn you about it it might be something else.

I've had something that sounds similar before. all of a sudden my harddrive would be unbootable, filesystem messed up. Turns out windows2000 had a 32GB hdd limit. and I was using a 40GB drive. Windows detected it as 40GB but as soon as It went over the 32GB, it started at the beginning again, completely overwriting the filesystem table etc. I guess you are using XP or Vista, so maybe it has a similar limit. try researching that

I can hear you complaining loudly to yourself as you fix it, as though voicing the inner thoughts of some completely out of touch jerk. I'm serious, thanks to FM, anytime something bad happens to you, I'm going to assume you start droning on and on to nobody in particular.

Sounds like you'd be better off Hackintoshing your computer. I have a Ciderized version of Half-Life you can use.

That makes me feel extraordinarily lucky that I haven't had such trouble with my disk drives when viruses get on them (Before I had a virus scanner I had accumulated over 600 viruses). Anyway, good luck with getting the software reinstalled.

Something like that happened to my computer a year or two ago. I had to reformat m drive too. Anyways, good luck with getting all your software back and fiishing the next Freemans Mind.

If i may do a sugestion for a Virusscaner:

Use Norman Virus Control as Antivirus, and us webroot spy sweeper as Anti spayware.

I use these myself and never lets me down.

Wow, I've been using Avast for a few years now and I've never had anything get through. Well, best of luck to you.

Best of luck Ross. I hope the new anti-virus program works out for you.

Weird annoyances of life. Good luck getting everything back up and working. ;3

Curse Valve for not developing their software to operate on Mac OS X.

Quote Ross Scot

"My files are fine, it's my OS and software I use that got hammered."

LOL ROFL that's a PUN. "...got hammered." HAMMER. Map Creator

I just recently reinstalled due to a virus-related meltdown (and incidentally an upgrade) as well, I feel your pain. Thankfully the thing allowed me to at least backup all my Photoshop, etc. stuff, I do hope this was also the case.

I'm guessing this is the reason for RAID.

i was using same AV programs like you did (AVG and Avast) and after some disapointments i tried out Avira.

And so far i cant complain.... well that can change in future

Good luck with restoring your PC