I want to make a Garry's Mod Webcomic.

Sign in to follow this  

And I have the initial to prove that I'm serious.

_

48477475.jpg

This is the first strip of the Prologue chapter to a webcomic I will be making called The Journal of the Greenwolf.

Inspired by a combination of the Half Life 2 universe in general, Christopher C. Livingston's Concerned, Machinima such as LitFuse Films' works (and Ross Scott's Civil Protection) and the movie Saving Private Ryan and created based upon several factors.

First, it occurred to me looking at most of the media things made from Half Life machinimas or Garry's mod that they all had in common a frequent tone of humor. Way back in 2008 I started thinking about what it would look like to have a more serious and/or dramatic gmod webcomic. (Subverting popular depiction of Gmod being

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHxyZaZlaOs)

Second, I always wanted to make one. One that would be really cool to look at, to read, for people to enjoy. Maybe becoming some variety of famous in some circles. (Okay that latter detail would be a superfluous thing but not a necessity.)

Third, it occurred to me fairly early on in playing Half Life 2 that the City 17 environs and the world in which surviving humans live would be a quite bleak one, and yet this context is largely not expanded upon. We have our main characters Freeman, Kleiner, Alyx and the gang, but rebels themselves are just annoying NPCs that get in the way and tell us to reload. I rejected that notion. Rebels are human beings who have had to conspire and plan and fight and run for their lives for more than 10 years ever since the 7 hour war, and I wanted to show that, even if just a little bit. Such an idea lent itself to the second point very well because it would then reduce or eliminate the presence of Canonical characters (whose presence would make the whole comic dangerously perched close to Jossing potential.)

So this is my groundbreaking. What do you think?

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

I think this is awesome work and you should definitely keep on doing it. And I like the idea of it not being centered on the main characters.

There's one thing that I would like to point out, though. If Eli Vance had comm information only in his head (frequencies, encryption keys), I can understand the disruption brought on by his death. But maps, routes? Unless he personally served as guide on each trip and prevented somehow others from learning the routes they were taking, there must be a lot of other people with that knowledge. I think the loss of the comm info alone is much more reasonable from a plot point of view.

When you post this comic on a website, you should definitely give us the link.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

Not routes, contacts.

In the City 17 outlying areas I'm imagining, the only maintained infrastructure are some (not all) Combine operated rail lines. Therefore the main ways of getting around are paths, trails and rough roads that dot the landscape in-between smaller Resistance outposts and camps. Knowing the members and/or leaders of those smaller groups would be essential, and the information of all of them would be distributed as-needed for the occasion when-needed, but not collectivized into one complete legend or map of the whole region. He wasn't a cartographer, he was a cultural guru.

The non-uniform person acceptance and zonal security generated is a facet of the Resistance Freeman never sees because he is universally understood and recognized. Mind you this is a world where Spying goes two ways.

Barney.jpg

You know, now I'm actually seriously considering posting on there.

Is there anything I should fear or worry about?

Bravo, sir. I really want to see this made.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Looks solid; if you have a great idea, go for it!

I think it will be hard to make a serious comic in Garry's Mod, but if you can do it, great.