Sample mini-reviews of some obscure games

Sign in to follow this  

Silpheed [Vertical scrolling arcade shooter]

Silpheed is the name of the spacecraft that the player controls. Like many shooter games, the story involves using the Silpheed as Earth's last effort to save itself from destruction by a powerful enemy invasion.

Was my favorite game back before Win95. Very fun, hard, and you actually get to choose your weapon loadout between levels.

I play it on Sega MegaCD a lot. Great version. I've also played the DOS version which was incredibly impressive for its time with digitized speech and really neat graphics. It's one of my favourite shmups of all time.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

I play it on Sega MegaCD a lot. Great version. I've also played the DOS version which was incredibly impressive for its time with digitized speech and really neat graphics. It's one of my favourite shmups of all time.

+ rep for another Silpheed fan! lol

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

+ rep for another Silpheed fan! lol

And one for you as well, good sir. This game deserves its fans.

A really obscure PC game i remember is "Nintendo Nightmare",made with Gamemaker it was a really funny game,even through it was bugged as hell and had really poor graphics,here´s is the storyline,Peach was kidnapped,AGAIN,and Mario had to save her,but then aliens attacked Mario and he ran away,then all graphics got screwed because the aliens were computer virus send by Bill Gates to destroy Nintendo;play the game to see the outcome of this madness,even being an excelent player,if you can have patience to ignore the graphics and the bugs,this game can entertain you for hours with some insane chalenges involving machine guns.Just remember playing it for the LOLs,NOT FOR THE LOOKS.

P.S: try to ignore the grammar errors on the game.

Link:

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/83379-nintendo-nightmare

P.P.S: the site will ask you to install some crap,dont worry,its safe

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

A really obscure PC game i remember is "Nintendo Nightmare",made with Gamemaker it was a really funny game,even through it was bugged as hell and had really poor graphics,here´s is the storyline,Peach was kidnapped,AGAIN,and Mario had to save her,but then aliens attacked Mario and he ran away,then all graphics got screwed because the aliens were computer virus send by Bill Gates to destroy Nintendo;play the game to see the outcome of this madness,even being an excelent player,if you can have patience to ignore the graphics and the bugs,this game can entertain you for hours with some insane chalenges involving machine guns.Just remember playing it for the LOLs,NOT FOR THE LOOKS.

Link:

That is the most dodgy game I've ever seen.

Link:

That is the most dodgy game I've ever seen.

What if i say the last boss is Chuck Norris XD

The future of gaming lies in realistic simulations of extraordinary realities

"I am drunk, you dont have an excuse"

What if i say the last boss is Chuck Norris XD

Then why bother playing... Nobody but me will ever get past the final boss.

Instead of creating a thousand new threads (or bumping threads that are old which several people have told me they don't like) I am just going to bump this one thread.

game08.jpg

Warsow: Surprisingly the servers for this game are still active. I played for about two hours, so I think I can review this game fairly. It reminded me a lot of the old Deathmatch game. There are 8 classes, all of which I couldn't really see what the difference was. They all share a lot of the same guns that other classes have. Their seems to be 5 weapons that cycle between different combinations labeled as "classes":

• -mines
    -shotgun
    -laser
    -melee
    -grenades

The only active game mode I could find was search&destroy. It's what you would think. One time plants a bomb, the other tries to stop them. If you get killed, you have to wait until the end of the match to respawn.

The game is free, so if you are looking for a game to play with your friends go ahead and pop on a server. You get what you pay for.

galac.jpg

Galactix: This game is officially shareware, which is awesome. The core concept is that it's a top-down space shooter, but it goes beyond that.

Destroy all Xidus ships, command ships, and finally the evil overlords flagship. Use Claw to collect bonuses.

That last part may seem odd, but let me explain the claw. This game is bullet HELL. Their are projectiles everywhere. You see that thumbnail image I posted, well you will be seeing that A LOT. Your health DOES regenerate slowly over time, but on the later levels if you get hit, your are going to get hit by more than just one bullet. If you don't know how to dodge properly, you are going to end up with bullets all over the screen. The trick is start on one edge, and slowly inch your way from one end of the screen to the other. You see, the AI is programmed to shoot the exact pixel of your ship. So you can just "herd" the bullets from one end of the screen to the other.

But, back to the claw. After destroying the Xidus ships, they sometimes explode into a power up. If you are careful you can use your claw to pick up that power up, because you are stuck to only moving left and right. This may sound simple, but remember this: There are LOADS of bullets being fired. Odds are you destroyed the ship right before it fired off its volley. I have no figured out a way to pickup that power up WITHOUT getting hit at least once.

Let me talk about the games graphics, they are sweet. It feels like I am playing a modern game. Some of you may not be a fan of pixelated graphics, and that's fine, but I gotta say they almost look 3d to me.

hqdefault.jpg

Awesome.

If you let the game sit on the menu for a while you get to see the backstory. It starts out with a phony news caster giving a news report, when a Xidus comes on screen and says he is coming to take over the earth. When the Xidus speaks he sounds bored. As if this is just another civilization that he has conquered, nothing new.

It is now your job to stop them. What more backstory do you need? I'm definatley tired of the trend for modern games to spend 20 minutes or LONGER explaining their game. Go ahead and try this one out. You won't regret it.

American Professional Skateboarder

I will say, Galactix is one of my all-time favorite old games.

It seems this thread started out as an example list for users who want to post in the Obscure PC Games forum, but then users posted their games to this thread instead of as separate posts to the forum. Nevertheless, it might be useful to pin some examples at the top of the forum. This thread is on page 2. Or did I miss something as usual?