Things you love to see in games.

Sign in to follow this  

Creativity, being rewarded for thinking out of the box the designers put you in. To put it simply, a game mechanic that is much more than the sum of its parts.

Fallout 3 for instance allows you to create specific weapons from parts that you find on blueprints. But that's classical linear thinking. Imagine how different the game would be if any piece of scrap you'd find could be used. Tubes. Plating. Wiring. Boards. For weapons, for utility purposes.. anything. Make a radio from scratch. A waterboiler with a hat on it. Create a god damned shower.

Garry's Mod + The Incredible Machine + Minecraft + any Open World game (I singled out Fallout because I like FWE). Add the Internet OR a mild, open story component and I might not ever want to leave.

(MAJOR edit/addition following:)

There is this Discovery TV series called The Colony, in which a group of people try to survive in a post-apocalyptic world. It's both a social experiment and a test to see if what they know can help them survive for a few months. They figure out ways to purify water, preserve food, make shelter, rig up car batteries and ways to power them..and so much more. It's quite fascinating.

We could do much better than having to 'mine trees'. :P

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Atmosphere: So Far, Unreal is the only game I've played that does this to a masterful degree, where every place is different from the last and incredibly detailed.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Atmosphere: So Far, Unreal is the only game I've played that does this to a masterful degree, where every place is different from the last and incredibly detailed.

I'd give you a reputation point for that if I had one left to give. Unreal and I go back a long while.

Before I played it, I was basically a Half Life devout. The minute I stepped onto Na Pali that all changed. I like Half Life but after Unreal I just don't find it that good.

If you ever cornered me at a party and asked me what all I liked about Unreal I'd probably waste 3 hours of your life.

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

I think Unreal is one of the most underrated first person shooters, it really doesn't get enough credit. It's only noted for its nice graphics when it really has amazing atmosphere, A.I, story, and cool scripted sequences.

I agree. More over, it already had a glimpse of the tournament series in it. I had played Quake and such at the time, but it was Unreal that made me fall in love with the more athletic properties of First Person combat.

I still play Unreal Coop sometimes with my girlfriend. She's not too bad. :)

also, if you're looking for a real challenge. You should try Unreal on "SURVIVAL MODE."

-no hud

-"Unreal difficulty"

-you can only carry 4 light weapons and 1 heavy weapon at a time.

Far Cry 2 in general. It was an open world RPG Shooter done with a better engine than Fallout 3 and New Vegas. It may have had a linear story, but I think it was amazing. Every time I saw the Jackal or listened to one of his tapes, it sent a chill down my spine. He was insane, sure, but a lot of the stuff he said made sense.

Hi Friend.

I would love to see more 'linear' games that have multiple ways of getting things done.

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

I would love to see more 'linear' games that have multiple ways of getting things done.

Just wait till DXHR comes out in 3.5 weeks...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Lot of diffrent, intresting characters with good voice acting and bio, dialogs and stuff. A good character is all I need.

And the game must have climatic atmosphere. And music.

"Even if something sounds logical, it doesn't mean it have to be true"

Solid, non-cliched plots and characters, rewarding skill over luck, unique, balanced gameplay... the usual.

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

I love to see over-the-top violence. Maybe because I grew up with Duke Nukem and Doom.

You should play TF2 with AF users.

I can't play because HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS TRADEN TRADE GOTTA TRADE ERECTING A TRADE BUILDING A TRADE ENTIRE TEAM IS HATS

I'm convinced the mad hatter works at Valve now.

I have some hats, want some? :mrgreen:

Okay, back to topic now....

I'm in to various things, atmosphere in particular. Metro2033 was brilliant in that respect, the atmosphere was so tangible, it really felt like a proper place, with real people. It's quite unique for me.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."