Sound Editing Contest

sound

Here's another post I've been meaning to have for a while. While I've overall been quite happy with the sound editing for the different videos, I'm pretty sure I'm going to need additional help in the future. Rather than try to decide by email who is a good candidate or not for sound editing, I thought I'd arrange a small contest to let anyone take a shot at it for one of my previous videos.

For April Fool's Day, "Diary of A Zombie" was completed just BARELY in time. Otto Beumelburg, my usual sound editor, was unavailable, so Phai Giron and I ended up doing the soundwork at the last minute, and I think the quality suffered as a result; there just wasn't enough time to do a better job. I'd like to see a better mix made of the audio for this video, since I think it has a lot of potential in terms of the sound.

CONTEST:

My contest is to do a complete remix of the audio for "Diary of A Zombie." I'm releasing all the unedited, isolated tracks for you to mix as you see fit. In terms of sound editing, this video has just about everything going on. Lots of different sound sources, volume balancing, lots of positional mixing, reverb in different areas, occlusion, audio cleanup, and any additional sound effects you want to add. The goal is to make the best mix you can, by any means at your disposable. Alternately, if you're not the best at overall sound mixing, but think you'll be GREAT at balancing the volume on everything, go ahead and give it a try too.

You can download the source files here (includes .wav files + .avi preview for syncwork):

Sound editing files (100MB)

RULES:

The rules, instructions, and guidelines for this contest are included in a text file in the download. The short version is just make the best mix you can. The deadline for this is October 1st.

PRIZES:

I admit these are kind of lame, but hopefully people will be doing this more for the fun / interest of it than anything else.

1st place: While I cannot change the Youtube version, the downloadable copy of the video will be re-released at higher quality with your sound mix, and your name will be added to the credits of the video. You'll also be a top candidate for additional sound editing jobs in future videos here (if you're interested).

Runner-ups: If you do a decent job, your name will be listed when the winners are announced, plus I'll link to any personal contact info you want (email, website, etc.). If your mix is especially good, you'll also be considered for future Accursed Farms videos.

People who do a bad job: Nothing.

- - -

I'd wish you all good luck, except logically that doesn't really work when there can only be one winner. So I hope everyone who works on this has some fun doing it, I'm looking forward to the entries!

EDIT:

If anyone has ideas for other prizes that don't require too much time or money, feel free to list them.

well good luck to the winner, i might look at the sound file and play with it a bit, but i am by no means a professional. although if what i do is worthy i'll submit it.

What he said.

And a good prize idea would be a real-live in person virtual pat on the back from Mr. Ross Scott himself!

Well this should certainly be fun to try. :D

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

This sounds pretty cool, but wait did he fix his computer? How come he hasn't made progress on Freeman's Mind Episode 39?
Yes, it's been fixed. I spent 4 hours today replying to emails and yesterday I spent the bulk of my time arranging all the files for the sound contest, I work on lots of different things. After going through a lot of the emails I'm thinking I should step up my efforts on getting the t-shirts moving in the nearer future.

Why must my computer not be running right now!! D=

I'm gonna try and get my computer fixed in time to do this and get in on time, seems like much fun, and I haven't done MIDI stuff since last semester.

Glad to hear your computer's fixed. But I'm afraid all I can do with sound is listen to it. I think if I tried sound editing the end result would be a shock site that blows out people's speakers/headphones.

to your edit: i think, personally, being mentioned in the credits, future job consideration, and our work being applied in a re-release is a good prize by itself. by the way i'm not casting judgement on anyone who'd like more, i'm just giving my opinion...

i second Alpha's statement; i'm gonna try, but i doubt it's going to be good(enough)...

Yes, it's been fixed. I spent 4 hours today replying to emails and yesterday I spent the bulk of my time arranging all the files for the sound contest, I work on lots of different things. After going through a lot of the emails I'm thinking I should step up my efforts on getting the t-shirts moving in the nearer future.

I'm glad your computer is fixed. I look forward to the T-shirts , hopefully you can get some more money and hopefully Valve won't sue you for having Freeman on them (assuming they will, in fact, have Freeman on them.)

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

This sounds pretty cool, but wait did he fix his computer? How come he hasn't made progress on Freeman's Mind Episode 39?

Sorry, meant no disrespect. I'm definitely looking forward to the T-Shirts, while I can imagine FM ones would be the most popular I think Dave from CP should at least have one of his lines made into a T-Shirt.

Why must my computer not be running right now!! D=

I'm gonna try and get my computer fixed in time to do this and get in on time, seems like much fun, and I haven't done MIDI stuff since last semester.

Well you have until October, and if you need an extra day or two, you can email me and I'll delay it for any last minute entries.

Looking forward to seeing who wins, and how good their work is.

sounds excellent, if you haven't considered it, i think "okay! i rock! now stop making me prove it!!" would be great on a T-shirt.

Yes, that one would be perfect to go on a T-shirt.

I pray you dont delay it.

PS: check out my post in the "progress in episode 39" page. If you can fit that in since it seems you already have the dialog.

After going through a lot of the emails I'm thinking I should step up my efforts on getting the t-shirts moving in the nearer future.

Cool. I hope international shipping will be available. I'm willing to pay :thumbup:

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc