Impossible?

Sign in to follow this  

I swear this is impossible. Basically before my laptop exploded I used this hard drive to store games on and I switched to it in my laptop from my netbook whenever I wanted to play a game. So this has Ubuntu and XP on it. The Ubuntu for the netbook and the XP for the laptop. Ubuntu would boot on the laptop and netbook. XP would only boot on the laptop or BSOD (I tried it again earlier today oddly).

What happened earlier is I did something stupid and pulled the case off to quickly when the HDD wasn't screwed in (the netbook has no screws left - or a screen for that matter). It fell out and snapped the ATA connector. At the same time it ripped off a bit of the circuit board... ermm... I don't know the word. Just a green bit connected to a metal connector.

After this happened, ignoring the ripped part in desparation I soldered every other pin back on. I put the hard drive in. Turned it on. It didn't work. It was strange, it booted to grub then couldn't get past that. So I sighed and was preparing to create a plan.

This is where it gets interesting though. For no apparent reason I tried to boot into XP. It was loading for about five minutes which was just strange. Then... IT LOADED! I'M TYPING ON XP RIGHT NOW ON THAT NETBOOK! HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? LOL.

Basically, the reason it wouldn't boot into XP before is because of something to do with the hard drive controller (I looked into it). A pin is ruined on the connector, and it just works now? How is this possible? I can't see why this would work. It shouldn't. It can't! But I'm in XP now. This is seriously the most bizzare thing I've ever seen happen on a computer. Break a pin, fix an OS that doesn't boot on a certain computer. I mean really?

I've done some googling and I've never heard of anything like it. Am I the first person to discover this strange phenominon by accident? I mean... I can't get enough of how mad this is!

A lot of things don't work, for example the mouse doesn't work (I'll look into that in a minute). The rest is just drivers. Right now I'm using the keyboard to control everything. I'm in a state of shock though. I've never seen anything like it. I thought my luck was completely out and I'd have to wait for my new laptop (I ordered one after summoning the money).

Hell, if this really is unheard of I'll take a picture of the pin so you can try it if you can be bothered (and have a cable to waste). It's actually one of the power pins to make it more bizzare.

Don't really know what else to say except: O_O

It happens, like when Marty McFly smacked his head agaisnt the Delorean's wheel when he thought it was not gonna turn on and he wouldn't be able to go back to the future and it turned on just in time.

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs