"Well to Hell" Hoax

Sign in to follow this  

There's an old story of some miners discovering a "well to Hell" in Siberia. Supposedly the temperatures deep within it are in excess of 1,000 °F.

It's been dismissed as a hoax, but I found it rather interesting considering there's a clip of the screams of tormented souls on Youtube (to the faint of heart: I wouldn't recommend looking it up).

Do you all think it's legitimate or ludicrous?

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

True.

Because the ambient pressure is too great to permit the water to turn into steam, so it remains liquid, despite the fact that its temperature is above boiling. If exposed to low pressure atmosphere, the water explodes violently into steam.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

That is how geysers work. For example, in Yellowstone Park, the mantle is extremely close to the surface of the crust. If an aquifer just happens to be near it, pressure builds from the heat (PV=nRT*) and eventually erupts through the surface in hot jets of water vapor (NOT steam: You are seeing a cloud. Picture a boiling teapot. That space between the spout and the cloud, THAT'S steam. You cannot see it.) creating a beautiful display. It really is cool to watch.

*Pressure times Volume = # of particles times universal gas constant times absolute temperature. In other words, when temperature goes up, pressure goes up, but volume goes down, and when volume increases, temperature and pressure fall. The higher the pressure, the higher the temperature, and vice versa.

\m/ (^_^) \m/

Rock on.

O/

/|

/ \ This is Bob. Copy and paste Bob and soon he will take over internetz!

I think the whole thing's a contradiction because I've heard several use the Bible as a basis, yet the book itself says something about Heaven and Hell being empty until the end (I don't quite remember what).

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

The screams thing...highly unlikely. The high temperature thing...definitely possible.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Seriously, how stupid do you think we are? :x

http://www.snopes.com/religion/wellhell.asp

If you belive this nonsense, it's already TOO LATE. Your useful time on this planet is OVER.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

I don't believe it. I thought I had already made that at least somewhat clear. :|

It's rather ludicrous, but some tend to be rather... fervent in their beliefs and use this story as an excuse for saying "HUEHUEHUE HELL EXISTS." I'm definitely religious, but I try not to be this shortsighted.

It's just nice to know the opinions of such a refined community, as silly as this may sound.

I tried to convey that with the ellipsis before "fervent." I'd be surprised if anyone here on AF believed it, but this hoax has been rather controversial.

Hell is not a physical location in respect to the idea regarded in religions. However it would not surprise me if there was some small community in Texas or something that was named Hell.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

There's also a small town in Michigan called Hell.

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

There's so many places in the world that in Ukraine and Russia cities are now being named after their purpose like "Industry city", "Scientist City", "Car City", "Jewish Autonomous Region", "Miner"....

I'm pretty sure soon, if we are not already, we will call by numers too: "Car City 2"

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

There's so many places in the world that in Ukraine and Russia cities are now being named after their purpose like "Industry city", "Scientist City", "Car City", "Jewish Autonomous Region", "Miner"....

I'm pretty sure soon, if we are not already, we will call by numers too: "Car City 2"

"City 17"

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

I don't believe it. I thought I had already made that at least somewhat clear. :|

It's rather ludicrous, but some tend to be rather... fervent in their beliefs and use this story as an excuse for saying "HUEHUEHUE HELL EXISTS." I'm definitely religious, but I try not to be this shortsighted.

It's just nice to know the opinions of such a refined community, as silly as this may sound.

When you think something is a hoax, you shouldn't use phrases such as "there's a clip of the screams of tormented souls on Youtube" as though you were stating a fact. Because clearly, if that's NOT the gateway to Hell, then that's obviously NOT a clip of the screams of tormented souls heard via the gateway, either.

That's like saying "bigfoot doesn't exist, now look at these bigfoot tracks."