Mission Still Unaccomplished

Sign in to follow this  

Hey everyone, this is just a minor update. My original plan was to not do another update until the filming was done, but 2+ weeks after I thought I'd be done with that, I'm still finishing things up, so I'm giving a quick status report. The reason things are still taking so long is because a lot of things I thought were done, I've found on closer inspection have problems with lighting, continuity errors, bugs in the engine, etc. One thing I haven't updated much on the progress bar of the next episode is the NEGATIVE progress, where things that I thought were complete had to get fixed. The update was frozen for a long time because of this, but I THINK it's all progress now.

I currently have ~1.1 scenes left to film, then the filming is done. The final scene I'm finishing has more engine bugs than most, so many that I'm going to have to redo part of it using the Half-Life 2: Episode 1 engine, as opposed to the Episode 2 engine. I plan to go into more detail on this at a later date, but this episode has been informative into just how many situations the animations will screw up in-game. The HL2 Episode 2 engine seems to be the culprit for most, if not all of this. I have half a dozen different situations where animations glitch out where they didn't in Episode 1. It's probably happening much more frequently than I'm noticing, but a lot of the time the difference is subtle, but for other situations it's horrid. If the code can't be fixed at a later date, for future episodes I may have to revert back to the Episode 1 engine altogether.

I have at least 2 more days of work before the filming is done, so we'll see what the actual time ends up being. I can't give any estimates on the remaining time for the music/audio, however I will resume Freeman's Mind as soon as the video editing is done for this episode.

i agree with this guy, lets just focus on the good side. however, this update is suspiciously convenient... im not used to things going this good in quite a while now...

Your comment actually is read an approved manually, and it's somewhat annoying to see a bunch of new comments that were all from one person and could have easily been put into one comment. It's just a bit obnoxious, is all.

Thanks for the update. I still wish we can donate to ya, but understand why you aren't. I couldn't help notice that your delays have a more-than-uncanny resemblance to Valve delays. You think Valve Time can be attributed to these rapidly-procreating engine bugs?

Well I do plan to set up the donation function, but not until the episode is done. As for Valve, I have no idea. The Source engine is heavily modified from the Goldsource engine, which is heavily modified from the Quake 1 engine. It's been called the "tower of duct tape" before. What's worse is I'm not a coder, so I'm at the mercy of whatever bugs they introduce and leave in there. Alex Morton has fixed the big show-crippling bugs in the code, but there's still plenty of problems in there.

I am glad just to hear from you, Mr. Ross Scott.

I wanted to say how much I love you but doesn't it sound a bit inappropriate..? Hmph. It's rather an.. admiration, I'd rather put it like that, yes.

In all.. well, glad to know that you're still alive, Mr. Scott.

Ross, you just take as much time as you need to make this awesome. I'm sure the video will be great because all the others are. We can wait for quality.