ASMR (AKA Tingly Scalp)

Sign in to follow this  

Autonimous Sensory Meridian Response, or ASMR, is a tingling sensation one gets when recieving a certain stimuli. Very common forms of this are sounds like crinkling plastic or page turning. They also happen when one is being observed. If you've ever played Barber with your siblings or if a therapist is asking you questions, you get the same sensation. The tingles start in the scalp and often progress down the back and to the limbs, depending on the strength of the response to the stimulus (Mine are often in my scalp and thighs). I've had full-body tingles before and then there are times when you get very agitated because you ALMOST get the sensation, but don't. The sensation is quite pleasureful and I use it, along with hypnosis, to relax. Tell me about your experiences with this. If you don't understand a single word I've written, watch this (headphones recommended):

9OyrKlK6OyQ

If, while listening to the video, you experienced a pleasant tingling, you've experienced ASMR.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

Is that the same thing like nails on a chalkboard because that gives me a tingling sensation alright.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Doubtful. Nails on Chalkboard is a nasty sound. The high frequencies can be damaging to your ears, so your body gives you those chills to tell you "I don't like this." ASMR is a not-yet explained phenomena seemingly caused by high Seratonin levels, but nobody knows why certain sounds trigger "Head Orgasms"

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

Yeah I know exactly what you're talking about. Though I certainly don't get it from nails on a chalkboard. that's like saying you get it from two knives scraping together. O_o

I often get it when I'm getting my haircut. Usually from the electric razor I used to get trimmed with at the very bottom of my hair in the back. (Now I have long hair) It only happens if they do a dry cut of my hair though. With long hair they always wet it up so I don't get it anymore. It used to happen when the hairdresser would put their fingers through my hair. It made my hair's stand on end as a response which in turn somehow lead to the sensation.

I've been curious as to what causes the sensation and it's occasionally associated for me with a difference in temperature. It's not getting goosebumps but things like cool wind hitting your skin while you're under the sun or in a warm place.

There's also an intimate aspect to it as it's a common sensation when your partner is just playing with you, Ie touching your hair, gently stroking your skin in certain areas like your neck. etc.

The sensation is actually very interesting as sometimes the most unexpected things can potentially set you off. Like certain genre's of very relaxing music. (My sense of Nostalgia while watching Drive, the electrosynth-pop music can give me the sensation) also, If you are capable of focusing your sensations onto your own body while relaxing. And you let go of all your stress, you can also get the sensation. Provided you have that level of control.

By the way, incredible vid. I got the sensation multiple times. Insta-bookmark.

One thing I've been told is that music that gives you that feeling is not considered ASMR. What Alyxx said is fine, but a powerful piece of music is a more emotionally triggered than a crinkling plastic bag (my particular favorite).

I never said anything about a powerful piece of music. That's hardly ever relaxing, which is what I was talking about.

Powerful doesn't necessarily mean BOOM BOOM BOOM!

A great example of relaxing, powerful music that gives me shivers is Time by Hans Zimmer. But it isn't ASMR.

Z0kGAz6HYM8

I usually only get it when I listen to music...

That video did nothing for me...

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

Then you, my friend, do not have ASMR :D

I feel sorry for you. The feeling is pretty awesome. When I was a kid, I would read Chapter 7 of "The Order of the Phoenix" over and over where Harry's being examined by the bored wizard in Peacock robes.

No, I am familiar with that sensation brother, and it is pretty great. But like I said, I only get it when I listen to music or just randomly. Not sure if from the lyrics of the song or if its the actual music.

I'm on a quest now.

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

I don't know... If it occurs randomly caused by your thought processes, it's called Type A ASMR, where most people have Type B, which is an external trigger.

ASMR is different from frisson, the kind of chill most people get from music.

Recently for no apparent reason I've started getting ASMR from certain kinds of music AS WELL. I've always had it. The first time I can remember was when a doctor put a stephoscope on me. I think I was

I'm shocked that someone actually made an ASMR thread. If I had known more people on the forum had it (and knew it) I'd have made one first :P

Oh, and nails on a chalkboard give me the exact opposite of ASMR.

The first music that triggered ASMR (litterally the other day):

jnWQuRS1bc0

My serotonin levels must've changed, because I used to only get it from things like soft voices or certain sounds. The SOUNDSculptures haircut video is a good example.

Just wondering for others who experience this, am I the only one who can listen to a certain video so much that it stops working?

Yeah, I used to read Curious George when I was 4 to get the sensation. When he used the cake to go fishing, it always gave me a pretty intense sensation (though not anymore.) I neglected it for a while up until I found out what it was and saw there were YouTube vids for it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SOUNDsculptures

Subscribe to her. She has a buttload of awesome vids and she posts at least once a week.

That 3d hair salon was the most relaxing thing ever.

When the video started, I got a weird stabbing pain in my thigh.

Though it may have been because I was bending my leg without noticing.

\m/ (^_^) \m/

Rock on.

O/

/|

/ \ This is Bob. Copy and paste Bob and soon he will take over internetz!

So anyways... I suppose I might have gotten it today. The sensation I mean. I was walking down some stairs at my school while I repeated "Hi, my name is. What? My name is. Who? My name is. Check it Check it. Twilight Sparkle." in my head. It started on the back of my head and spread to my face... So it was either that... or a stroke.

If you were singing pony variations of an Eminem song... it was probably a stroke.

If you like whispering (also gives me the ASMR at times and is VERY relaxing) you can subscribe to KiwiWhispers (can't post link now as the school PCs don't allow YouTube :| )