Forum poll

UPDATE:

I've spent most of today working with new volunteers helping to build a forum in phpBB and it's very close to done. The lead behind it (Jexius) was pushing to launch tonight, but said he had to go to sleep very soon, so I decided to wait since a few features were still missing and I didn't feel like risking a second botched launch in a row. The forum looks FANTASTIC, and I found a good theme that matches the site well. It looks like all user registration info will still be preserved and it's possible old posts and comments will transfer over, though it may or may not launch with that feature. If all goes well, the forum will be up sometime tomorrow afternoon / evening.

- - -

Well last night's attempt at the forums was less than stellar. Before I give it a second try, I thought I should get everyone's opinion on what they want. My original goal was to migrate all the news posts and comments over to the forums and not make people re-register. That still is an option, though it's apparent the software being used may have a few more bugs to be worked out.

The software we tried last night is called Simple Press, a forums plugin for Wordpress. It has a boatload of features on it and is actually pretty customizable. On their showcase page, they have multiple examples, some of which look pretty decent, so the potential for it to look good is there. The only wonky thing I noticed with it was that their search engine interface is a little strange, but other than that I think it's pretty decent software.

The main alternative I've been offered help with is phpBB. This seems like a solid forum interface that many people are probably familiar with and I'm sure there's a lot of support for. However this option means that you may have to re-register on the site and that all the old posts and comments probably won't be carried over to the forums.

I still do want to phase out the comments system on the main page so that all new commentary is directed at the forums, but beyond that I wanted to see how important re-registering and old posts were to everyone. I've put up a poll. I'll go with whatever the winner is, unless people make really compelling arguments for another in the comments section.

So let me know what you think, I'm still eager to launch the forums and have more involvement on the site all-round.

[poll id=2]

Basically I think we don't need news posts and old comments to carry over into the forum, new posts will draw attention away from old ones (you notice how no one comments on the older posts, even after great ongoing jokes and such).

Re-Registering shouldn't be too much of an issue, I mean it takes what, 2 minutes? I understand wanting to make our lives easier, but it's not that big of a deal, and I like the phpBB layout the best simply because it's what I'm used too.

That's my official opinion, back to your lives citizens.

F.O.R.U.M

For god sake this is getting

Old, please help me or i will

Ragequit, i wont sleep until this

Unusual joke ends, please save me from

Myself and make a new joke

F.O.R.U.M

phpBB, but I wouldn't put on an engineering suit and start plasma cutting limbs off people out on the streets if the other option was chosen.

23% of the people who voted are not being helpful at all.

Because I don't understand the full forum making process, it doesn't really matter to me what is done. However, I voted for phpBB because of the " I wanted to see how important re-registering and old posts were to everyone." phpBB seemed like the option to take if you didn't care, which I don't. Who's going to waste their time reading up on the past anyways? Historians? Posters on the Accrusedfarms aren't that important, everybody shouldn't be so full of themselves.

I say do what you want. If anybody has issues with that, tell them to go to hell. Just snap at them with twitchy eyes, they'll know who the boss is then.

~Serva.

I emailed you about using PhpBB with a WordPress plugin that will integrate all users thats very easy to set up. I also sent you a way to set up the rss system

F.O.R.U.M.

Friggin (actually the other F word)

Old

Really

Ugly

Mothers (remove the s, add the other F word)

F.O.R.U.M.

330 votes for PhpBB (including mine)

156 votes for getting 1 min 30 sec of their life to post something that will be read once by a german mass murderer in training, and some guy that will respond with "STFU n00b!".

Just use something solid and simple; and from what I have read above, that's phpBB. Re-registering isn't a nuisance. From what I have observed in computes and computer software in general, there is always a balance between Features and Functionality, this is not always true but I would rather have stuff working.

I don't care about forums!!! Give us the Tunnel already!!!! Or at least FrMi!!!11111oneoneone

Don't waste your precious time on forums , Ross!!!

luv ya ^ ^