Computer Security

Hello everyone, I wanted to create this topic to facilitate discussions about computer security. This includes what software you recommend/use, threats that may concern you (i.e. current/emerging malware types), or possible issues you are currently having involving security.

Note: Please do not link to malware or other threats to security, we want to discuss security, not put it in peril.

As for posting your setup, I felt the following format may be best:

Current Security Programs Installed:

Frequency of Infection:

Risk of Infection: (the chances of getting a virus due to your browsing/usage habits)

Here's mine

Current Security Programs Installed: EDIT: NEW: Avast! free Anti-Virus, Malwarebytes PRO, Windows Firewall, NEW: SUPERAntiSpyware Free, NEW: Emsisoft Anti-Malware Free

Frequency of Infection: Very Rare

Risk of Infection: Low

Happy Posting!

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"I hate computers! Why do they always blow up when I use them?"

OS: Debian (squeeze) - kernel: 3.0.0-17-generic-pae, i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Current Security Programs Installed: iptables (installed default in all debian based system)

Frequency of Infection: Never

Risk of Infection: under the butt of the frog (means it's probability converges to zero very fast)

Possible weakness(es): the MySQL server could be an issue if it were online, since I know there are a lot of ways (SQL injections) to attack such a database system. I'd rather use oracle SQL, but it's a bit harder to set up, and I don't need to work with tons of data yet.

Possible threat(s): my sister (physical threat)

"It's not about changing the world. It's about doing our best to leave the world... the way it is. It's about respecting the will of others, and believing in your own."

Huh, i'm usually really paranoid about people asking about my security services, etc. So, with no offence intended, i'm not giving anyone a tailored guide to hacking my computer. (by the way, if i sound like a moron saying this and i really have nothing to worry about sharing this stuff, then let me know.)

Huh, i'm usually really paranoid about people asking about my security services, etc. So, with no offence intended, i'm not giving anyone a tailored guide to hacking my computer. (by the way, if i sound like a moron saying this and i really have nothing to worry about sharing this stuff, then let me know.)

Not at all, that's a perfectly acceptable response in my opinion, this is just a topic for discussions regarding security, and concerns surrounding that topic are valid. :)

"I hate computers! Why do they always blow up when I use them?"

Mine:

Mac.

It is a common misconception that Macs do not or cannot get viruses. I would advise you not to make that mistake.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Mine:

Mac.

It is a common misconception that Macs do not or cannot get viruses. I would advise you not to make that mistake.

Macs don't get viruses. They can get malware and trojans, however.

What's the differents?

Hold on. Instead of using the internet, I'm gonna pull out a Text book.

Main difference is that Viruses replicates by attaching itself to other programs once the infected program is run. Trojan Horse pretends to be legitimate programs but does not require a host file, like a worm.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

Yes, I do. And its surprisingly useful just to look up specific information. It's thick too, over 1,200 pages.

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

It's in my first post, just up the page a bit. If you want to know more you should probably just google it.

Current Security Programs Installed: Avast Antivirus, Windows Firewall, AVG

Frequency of Infection: I havn't had one since I got Avast

Risk of Infection: None (yet)

Avast will give you a bright and shiny pop up whenever you are going to a malicious page, and it will redirect you to your home page. Therefore, getting to malicious data is impossible. You can also scan any item on your computer whenever you wish to.

This is the end of the line, and I'll rip you apart for what's inside.

Compensating wealth for what's more and more worthlessness.

The end of fear, the end of your life, I'll kill you right now, fucking die.

I'm not going to say that you sound like an idiot, but you have a point. No user on here has any of your location info, or your IP so there you go. You should be fine ^.^

This is the end of the line, and I'll rip you apart for what's inside.

Compensating wealth for what's more and more worthlessness.

The end of fear, the end of your life, I'll kill you right now, fucking die.