Incredible lag while multitasking on laptop

Sign in to follow this  

Yes I know, Im sorry for spamming this part of the forum with new threads... (Pherhaps a tech assistance thread would be something?) but Im having serious issues while multitasking on my dell xps 15.

Im downloading WoW, and I decide to kill some time with some Saints row: the third. Now when I start up saints row the computer freezes for like 10 seconds, then it smooths out, and then start to lag again.

Its not the RAM, I checked and it was at 3,77. The processor wasnt taking much heat either. So I have NO clue whats causing this...

Specs:

i7 2670qm (I think)

Nvidia gt525m

8 GB of RAM

The wow download was still going when I ctrl+alt+del out of it....

Temps were also fine.

Similar lag spikes happens while multitasking on other programs (not as bad, though)

"Life sucks sober!"

It's probly just that you were using up too much HDD bandwidth. Downloading something as big as WoW uses quite a lot of a HDD's read/write speed, and trying to play a game on top of it... Loading textures is all it takes at that point to cause lag.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

It's probly just that you were using up too much HDD bandwidth. Downloading something as big as WoW uses quite a lot of a HDD's read/write speed, and trying to play a game on top of it... Loading textures is all it takes at that point to cause lag.

On my desktop however, I can do like 3 things like this at the same time. Could it just be that the laptop HDD is slower?

"Life sucks sober!"

On my desktop however, I can do like 3 things like this at the same time. Could it just be that the laptop HDD is slower?

It's a definite possibility, since a lot of laptops use 5400rpm drives versus the 7200rpm drives users typically have in their desktop. If you want to avoid lag in multi-tasking between downloading and gaming in the future, you could always put an artificial cap on your download speeds to keep write speeds to the HDD at an acceptable level.

It's a definite possibility, since a lot of laptops use 5400rpm drives versus the 7200rpm drives users typically have in their desktop. If you want to avoid lag in multi-tasking between downloading and gaming in the future, you could always put an artificial cap on your download speeds to keep write speeds to the HDD at an acceptable level.

I should try that. And since Im technically retarded at times, I must ask how this is done?

"Life sucks sober!"

Here's an useful link.

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Here's an useful link.

I did google it. Not alot of answers that didnt contain: "upgrade to linux"

Anywho, fixing this seems more complicated than it should be.

If Im not mistaken, you can replace the HDD on laptops? An SSD is WAY out of my pricerange. However a 7200rpm HDD could work. From what Ive read (on google, the most reliant search engine in history) it tends to run alot hotter and causes overheat problems. This problem I have happens when Im using like 2 small programs at once. Not as much lag, but certainly more often. If its the HDD reading/writing speed, my laptop most have a REALLY slow HDD. If so I have no other choice but to upgrade. Guess Ill start saving money again.

"Life sucks sober!"

That could mean that something fatal could happen to the drive soon. If you hear clicks then STOP USING IT IMMEDIATELY and contact a professional for anything after that.

Well, you could always go for a hybrid hard drive... It's got both an SSD and a regular 7200 RPM HDD in one drive, and it isn't a significant increase in price from the regular HDDs.

Here's an useful link.

Depending on how you download things, you should be able to limit the speed through the application. The steps to do this vary for each program, so I really can't go into any meaningful detail with it. You could do it on the operating system level, but that's more than I feel like explaining here. Next time, google something like "limit download speed windows 7" this will get you more concise results than if you didn't specify the OS.

Here's an useful link.

Depending on how you download things, you should be able to limit the speed through the application. The steps to do this vary for each program, so I really can't go into any meaningful detail with it. You could do it on the operating system level, but that's more than I feel like explaining here. Next time, google something like "limit download speed windows 7" this will get you more concise results than if you didn't specify the OS.

Getting my laptop back today or tomorrow, Ill search around more specifically. If its too advanced, Ill just buy a 7200 RPM.

"Life sucks sober!"

I'd recommend a hybrid, since right now they're about the same price as a standard drive.

That could mean that something fatal could happen to the drive soon. If you hear clicks then STOP USING IT IMMEDIATELY and contact a professional for anything after that.

With "clicks" how do you mean?

And if I buy a new one I will definitely go for a hybrid. Any brands that you guys would recommend?

Edit: Now its lagging when Im skyping, on chrome and listening to music.... Starting to get worried. It doesnt lag much, but theres like spikes from time to time.

"Life sucks sober!"

By clicking I mean from the actual drive. You'll hear clicking noises or maybe even scraping noises.

The only hybrid drives I recommend at this time are Seagate.

From the sound of things either the HDD is about to die, or you've got something overheating really bad and you're entire system is about to die.

The only hybrid drives I recommend at this time are Seagate.

From the sound of things either the HDD is about to die, or you've got something overheating really bad and you're entire system is about to die.

Id guess its the HDD then. Ill see what it'll cost to have the store downtown check whats up.

"Life sucks sober!"