medication

Sign in to follow this  

as many of you know I am on meds due to the fact I am a little crazy. I actually got harassed today for "putting the government's poison into my body" and it started me wondering, How do you guys feel about medications? or alternative medicine?

I myself am in favor of both conventional and alternative medicine (whatever works basically) and I currently take pills for my ADD/ADHD and whatever other unspecified psychoses I have (social anxiety and so forth). The pills themselves are basically a controlled version of methamphetamine that lets me keep my teeth (yay a FM reference!!!).

Only drawback is that I can feel myself becoming dependent on them as they also become less and less effective. Im also at the maximum dosage they can safely give anyone (80 mg, up from 10 when I started). And sadly there is no medication effective enough to switch me to when i lose myself again. caffeine helps but only for a little while. so its gonna suck going to college.

What your not crazy too?

Well, whoever called it "government poison" clearly don't know what they're talking about since pharmaceutical companies aren't part of the government but a privatized healthcare system. At least in the US as far as I know, so the quality of medicines can vary from the various companies and brands.

I'm all for using medicine for relieving symptoms if you have ADD, ADHD or similar things, but I don't think people should rely on them or become fully dependent on them. It's always better to treat the cause rather than the symptoms.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Who do you talk to? 50 year hippies? Who the hell says 'government's poison'? YEAH SURE, ASPIRIN. DEPRESSION MEDICINE. PLACEBOS. NOTHING WORKS. IT'S ALL POISON. EVERYTHING.

Now, just to clarify, I'm not getting on you for that, but who in the holy mother of God says that medicine is just poison from the government? It's not like we're in the Half-Life universe where 'the water makes you forget' or something. I'm not helpful at all, that just caught me off guard that someone actually told you that.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Funny how some of those people would warn you of some government poison while stuffing themselves with homeopathic holistic straight-from-Gaia miracle goodness.

I have no experience with psycho-active drugs (other than good old C2H5OH) so can't comment really on your case. All I know is that these types of disorders are not yet well understood by medical science and so the medication is symptomatic and normally is the case of choosing the lesser of two evils (i.e. side effects v relief of symptoms). Until new breakthroughs happen that is the state of affairs and it's better something than nothing.

Having said that, I would always recommend to do your own research in order to be informed and understand all the pros and cons in something as life-changing as this. Long time ago I had a situation where I had to argue with my doctor who was pushing me to do an unnecessary operation. I've had my way in the end when she run out of reasonable arguments and just gave me an antibiotics prescription, which worked just fine and she was proven wrong. If I just blindly accepted her initial recommendation I'd have had a part of my body removed for nothing (and I now realise, she would have been paid a referral fee by the surgery ;-) ). So there...

Regards

well I do agree treating the cause is better, mine cant be treated and the meds brought my grades up out of the crapper. the only thing I have left when the become ineffective is just to deal with it. (Ive been working on it by trying some self-relaxation therapy on school breaks and try to see how I do without medication. I do ok except I become hyper-sensitive to sound and light and just a bit irritable but I will just have to deal with it.

Also the crazy person with the anti-medication stuff was the guy at the coffee house who saw me take my meds after getting my drink.

and one more thing to add, Are you guys aware of shrinking amount of time we have of effective antibiotics?

Some diseases like MRSA (staph infection unaffected by common antibiotics). I caught it and the stuff they gave me for it... well lets just say I was unable to consume dairy for about a year afterwards since my digestive system was just plain destroyed by it. (note this is because MRSA is dangerous and needs super-antibiotics the size of horse pills). Anyone know of new methods we have of either replacing or prolonging our antibiotics?

What your not crazy too?

yep I got the same advise but I also got some pill form ones as well (they were really hard to find). although the antibiotics they gave me killed a lot more than bacteria (im not going into detail for your own sakes).

What your not crazy too?

I've always been of the opinion of "If it isn't something you NEED, then don't take it."

I have had the opportunity to get some really cool painkillers before, (pulled wisdom teeth, major ear infections, etc.) but I have yet to actually take any of the pills. I know what they do, and have no reason to take them.

Your particular psychosis I also have, but I suspect that my upbringing and personal experience has led me to be able to control their effects much better than you. I do not take pills, but I have figured out ways of mitigating most of the effects.

ADD/ADHD, listen to music while doing everything, while doing that try to listen to different aspects of the music, and see if you can figure out what makes certain sounds, harmonies, etc.

Social anxiety, that's a hard one... It's hard when all you want to do is either melt into the corner and be invisible, or leave the crowd... Or worse, remove the crowd. (I occasionally have that one) I find that one still extremely difficult to get past, and I still just have to outright fight it, and put on a front that I actually am enjoying myself. (personally, I think being forced to be in a crowd is one of the worst tortures there is) Another thing that seems to work for me in small crowds (less than 30 people) is becoming the center of attention. (embarrassing usually, but more often than not you'll get a lot of people that like you, and the crowded feeling all of a sudden starts to just die away)

That's just me though.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

well music definitely helps. (fun fact most of this stuff started popping up after my severe concussion) as does art in any form, I consume art, books, movies, music, games, etc with vigor. it quite literally keeps me sane. while playing a game/reading a book, literally lose myself in the universe of it. I have to do this cause I cant create art (too shaky) and i cant make music (played violin and lost that ability with the concussion). This however advances my social anxiety a bit. I find myself getting angry at people for talking to me while I was listening to music.I dont get out much and the social anxiety (for me anyways) is worse with people I know. funny bit: Ive been teaching at a leadership seminar every year for 5 years now.

What your not crazy too?

Sounds like the concussion did a little bit of damage.

As for art, have you tried non-precise sculpting? Heck, even tack-welding random pieces of junk metal together in interesting patterns sells for thousands of dollars nowadays.

What I meant is I cant go from brain to hand with it. I see what I want to make in my mind but I simply cant translate that onto paper

What your not crazy too?

well speaking of hospitals and the like. I just got back from one. I appear to have been beaten up really bad and I woke up at home... on the floor (not that unusual since I sleep anywhere) and my head was bloody and my face smashed up. I went into hospital and came out about 5 minutes later. they said "you only got beat up" and "since you don't have a concussion well send you home" literally in and out. they barely had time to give me a towel to wipe off the blood. should I go to the other hospital or what?

What your not crazy too?

well speaking of hospitals and the like. I just got back from one. I appear to have been beaten up really bad and I woke up at home... on the floor (not that unusual since I sleep anywhere) and my head was bloody and my face smashed up. I went into hospital and came out about 5 minutes later. they said "you only got beat up" and "since you don't have a concussion well send you home" literally in and out. they barely had time to give me a towel to wipe off the blood. should I go to the other hospital or what?

Um... what? I've never seen a forum post like this...

I actually had a concussion since I went to another hospital that was not sending their people out after looking at them and saying "your fine" . so should I sue or what here? I need to know about concussions since the last one I got was severe enough to cause big problems. this concussion yesterday could have killed me since my brain really is damaged from the first one.

also not beaten up per-se, it appears my dogs tripped me up when I took them on a walk and I face planted into concrete. (judging by the massive pool of blood on my front doorstep).

also don't be surprised of a lot of posts like these since I seem to attract pain and bad luck from every which way

What your not crazy too?

Depending on your country, if one hospital sent you away with a concussion, that's malpractice, and you can get millions out of them as well as them out of the medical field.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 69 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.